TBY Forum

TBY Forum (http://www.tobeyoung.org/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tobeyoung.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Documentary Recommendations (http://www.tobeyoung.org/showthread.php?t=24984)

Sydneyfan 11-18-2010 01:36 PM

Documentary Recommendations

Any documentary fans out there?

I watched Jesus Camp recently, which follows a group of kids in the US attending evangelical camp over summer. It's totally fascinating in a scary kind of way.

hildegoat 11-18-2010 01:40 PM

Re: Documentary Recommendations

I love documentaries, and these are my two favorites:

The Fog Of War -- A somewhat biographical film about Robert McNamara, Secretary of Defense during the Vietnam War.

Dear America: Letters Home From Vietnam -- Readings of letters to home from Vietnam solders, overtop of news footage of the war itself. It's heartbreaking.

raisemyglass 11-18-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydneyfan (Post 666968)
Any documentary fans out there?

I watched Jesus Camp recently, which follows a group of kids in the US attending evangelical camp over summer. It's totally fascinating in a scary kind of way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RNfL6IVWCE

I spend a very large portion of my childhood at camps like those.

Sydneyfan 11-18-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisemyglass (Post 667034)
I spend a very large portion of my childhood at camps like those.

Wow, really. If you don't mind me asking, do you still have a strong Christian faith as an adult?

raisemyglass 11-18-2010 04:28 PM

My father is a pastor and was in charge of running the camps for kids grades 3-6. I spent 6 weeks every summer there from when I was 8 until around 15 ( when I was old enough to be trusted at home, which usually ended in disaster for me.)

I hated it as a kid and didn't have strong beliefs then. I still don't have strong beliefs, but my overall christian beliefs would be considered counter to what most CHristians teach.

Sydneyfan 11-18-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisemyglass (Post 667045)
My father is a pastor and was in charge of running the camps for kids grades 3-6. I spent 6 weeks every summer there from when I was 8 until around 15 ( when I was old enough to be trusted at home, which usually ended in disaster for me.)

I hated it as a kid and didn't have strong beliefs then. I still don't have strong beliefs, but my overall christian beliefs would be considered counter to what most CHristians teach.

Cool, thanks. The camp they portrayed in the doco looked slightly insane tbh. At one point they asked the children to pray and speak in tongues to a cardboard cut out of George Bush. :wtf

hildegoat 11-18-2010 04:55 PM

W or H.W.?

Sydneyfan 11-18-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hildegoat (Post 667052)
W or H.W.?

George W. What was funny was that they told the children..." now we have a special guest..the President....etc" and I was thinking, omg, George W really did go after the Christian vote in a big way. Then they carried this cardboard cutout on stage. It was as if nobody realised it was cardboard. :lol

hildegoat 11-18-2010 05:00 PM

There's not much of a difference between real GWB and cardboard GWB. Heyooo!!

Sydneyfan 11-18-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hildegoat (Post 667054)
There's not much of a difference between real GWB and cardboard GWB. Heyooo!!

RIMSHOT

hildegoat 11-18-2010 06:45 PM

Good Hair is a great documentary too. Narrated by Chris Rock, it shows how much effort black ladies go to to maintain their hair:

And I've never seen a documentary from PBS's American Experience series that I haven't loved. Especially the Presidents series:

Sydneyfan 11-18-2010 07:00 PM

Bus 174 is one of my all-time favourites. Using incredible real (and pretty confronting) news footage, it tells the story of a bus full of passengers who were hijacked by a lone gunman in Rio several years ago.
It also reveals the depth of corruption in the Brazilian police force and the terrible poverty that so many people are forced to endure there.

It was recently made into a movie of the same name, which I haven't got around to seeing yet. Can't find a trailer either.

http://www.publiccinema.org/bus_174.jpg

hildegoat 11-26-2010 10:37 AM

Has anybody seen Who is Harry Nilsson? (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)? I've heard good things about it and need to track it down (apparently it's on DVD/Netflix now):

http://www.authorizedpix.com/wihn_home.html

radioradi0 11-26-2010 10:17 PM

I heard good things about Comedian, which is basically about the lives of professional comedians. Jerry Seinfeld was involved in the making of the film, I think. He's definitely in it.

Just checked it out (from the library), and will report back about it. :banana

blueone 11-27-2010 09:27 AM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5107PX9W1XL.jpg

On Amazon this has 49 reviews, 47 of which are 5-star ratings. I'm not sure if these are shown anywhere other than in the UK, but they're absolutely superb.

Sydneyfan 12-22-2010 01:30 PM

Watched Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired last night. It provides a really interesting look at what went on behind the scenes of his rape trial, including interviews with lawyers, police, the victim and close friends of Polanski. It doesn't even bother trying to question whether he was guilty or innocent of having sex with a 13 year old; the evidence makes it pretty clear he did. It does attempt to justify his behaviour though - wife murdered, parents gassed by the Germans etc. For all that Polanski comes across as a brilliant and yet oddly unknowable man who seems to lack any kind of moral compass.

Sydneyfan 05-23-2011 08:22 PM

The Snowman - it won some major doco awards here last year. A woman tries to discover what caused her father's sudden plunge into insanity 30 years earlier. Of interest to no-one but me is the fact much of the story takes place in my hometown and the family's farm is about a 15 minute drive from my parent's farm.

Corporal Brown 05-24-2011 09:53 AM

That looks really interesting.

Sydneyfan 05-24-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal Brown (Post 688848)
That looks really interesting.

Yup, it's done in a very low key, highly personal way that's very engaging. And pretty sad too.

robotulism 05-24-2011 06:36 PM

Oh man, my netflix queue is just full of documentaries. (Actually Jesus Camp is the next one on my list, followed by Very Young Girls, that I am also looking forward to watching.)

But, the most touching documentary I have ever seen is still Dear Zachary . . .

GoodSkanky 05-25-2011 01:58 PM

http://www.standingintheshadowsofmot...on/hip-oCD.jpg

Sydneyfan 06-27-2012 11:56 PM

I really enjoyed 'Tabloid'. An interesting character study of a woman who gives the term 'obsessive' new meaning. Doesn't provide a lot of answers to the questions it raises along the way, but it's a fun ride anyhow.

J_Bizness 06-28-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodSkanky (Post 689000)

Is that as funky as it sounds??:eek:

Sydneyfan 08-25-2012 04:10 PM

Loved this. It's about a controversial 1970's experiment involving a baby chimp called Nim. Sad and very revealing about the less pleasant facets of human nature.

hildegoat 01-10-2013 09:16 AM

Last month ESPN's 30 For 30 series showed a documentary on Bo Jackson, and it was great. They guy is somewhat quiet, but he knows exactly how amazingly good he was. At everything.