TBY Forum

TBY Forum (http://www.tobeyoung.org/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tobeyoung.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What Are You Reading Now? (http://www.tobeyoung.org/showthread.php?t=2476)

Tonya 04-18-2007 04:07 PM

Re: What Are You Reading Now?

Seven Secrets of Successful Women by Donna and Lynn Brooks

Faded Rose 04-30-2007 01:58 PM

Only a Mother Could Love Him by Ben Pollis. Written by a young man with ADHD talking about his experiences as a child and how he came to terms with it. Heartbreaking but with a happy outcome (I believe but I haven't got that far yet). The really sad thing is that these kids are so different and yet have no idea that they are and just don't understand that their actions/reactions are wrong or out of context and they don't understand why they aren't the same as other kids.

SkortBrun 04-30-2007 02:19 PM

Naked Pictures of Famous People by Jon Stewart. Really funny book. I'm re-reading it for (I think) the 4th time. It's just a collection of mostly hilarious essays that range from a summer at the Kennedy estate in the 1930's to how Martha Stewart decorates her vagina. It's probably my favorite book.

Sydneyfan 04-30-2007 05:53 PM

Zodiac - Robert Graysmith. As true-crime books go, this one is excellent. And creepy.

hildegoat 04-30-2007 09:58 PM

I finished reading The Areas Of My Expertise by John Hodgman:
http://content.answers.com/main/cont...odgemanssf.jpg

He's a contributor on The Daily Show and the PC in the North American "Mac vs. PC" commercials. It's an almanac of facts, all made up by the author. It's hilarious in parts, and downright bizarre in others.

I'm currently reading Freakonomics:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...1L._AA240_.jpg

It's VERY interesting. It tries to explain the hows and whys of issues in society by looking at them from a different angle and asking the right questions.

SkortBrun 04-30-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hildegoat (Post 251893)
I finished reading The Areas Of My Expertise by John Hodgman:
http://content.answers.com/main/cont...odgemanssf.jpg

He's a contributor on The Daily Show and the PC in the North American "Mac vs. PC" commercials. It's an almanac of facts, all made up by the author. It's hilarious in parts, and downright bizarre in others.

I've been meaning to read that for so long. A lot of it's about the (fake) history of hobo's, right?

hildegoat 04-30-2007 10:52 PM

Yup, 700 or so hobo names. He's added a few more names in the paperback edition. :lol

SkortBrun 04-30-2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hildegoat (Post 251902)
Yup, 700 or so hobo names. He's added a few more names in the paperback edition. :lol

That's really funny. I'm going to have to try and find it next time I'm in a book store.

Quincy 05-01-2007 02:53 AM

I really liked that "book" of John's, I can't believe I actually read all those names, I have an mp3 somewhere of him and john coulton(sp) reading them all out.

clewis 05-01-2007 03:04 AM

http://content.answers.com/main/cont...ting_godot.JPG

SkortBrun 05-03-2007 02:12 PM

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

http://a3.vox.com/6a00c2251e9744f219...9613549d-500pi

SkortBrun 05-14-2007 09:25 PM

I'm 3/4 of the way through The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman and am really enjoying it. Some of my favorite parts were the history of the lobster in America and the section about hoboes (if I ever become a hobo I'm changing my name to Mindbender Steve). I also like how every section starts with a chart about werewolves.
It's a very strange type of comedy, but once you get used to it it's really enjoyable.

Sydneyfan 06-03-2007 05:52 AM

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis.

Always one of my favourite authors, this is shaping up to be one of his best so far. It's a work of (semi) fiction starring the author as the main character. Brutally honest, funny and like all his books, relentlessly critical about white upper middle class society and the perils of fame and celebrity.

SkortBrun 06-03-2007 11:26 AM

I'm working through two at the same time.
The first is The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. It's based in the early 1940's, before America goes to war with Germany. Joseph Kavalier, a young Jewish man, escapes Nazi controlled Prague and reaches America to live with his cousin, Sammy Clayman. Together they create several successful comic book characters while Joe tries to get the rest of his family out of Germany. It's a funny, sad and excellent book. It won a Pulitzer Prize.

I'm also reading the first graphic novel I've ever read. It's called Watchmen. It's a pretty dark take on the standard superhero format. It's based in 1985, everyone's afraid WW3 could start at anytime and in this alternate 1985 Richard Nixon is still President. The theme of questioning authority is a big part of the story. The man who wrote this also did the graphic novel V for Vendetta that was later turned into a great movie.

hildegoat 06-04-2007 09:20 AM

Currently reading Kennedy and Diefenbaker: The Feud that Helped Topple a Government by Knowlton Nash:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...._AA240_.L.jpg

I'm only just starting it, but it's really quite interesting. It's about the immense hate/distrust that existed between Canada PM Diefenbaker and American President Kennedy in the early 60's. Knowlton Nash has a very engaging writing style (he's been a CBC reporter for a LONG time, so maybe that has something to do with it).

clewis 06-11-2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydneyfan (Post 266383)
Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis.

Always one of my favourite authors, this is shaping up to be one of his best so far. It's a work of (semi) fiction starring the author as the main character. Brutally honest, funny and like all his books, relentlessly critical about white upper middle class society and the perils of fame and celebrity.

Yesyesyes Another Ellis fan.

Sydneyfan 06-11-2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clewis (Post 270108)
Yesyesyes Another Ellis fan.

:banana I re-read American Psycho recently as well. I'd forgotten just how clever that book is. And how misunderstood. He actually talks a lot about Patrick Bateman and that book in Lunar park.

hildegoat 06-11-2007 05:33 PM

My girlfriend thinks I'm creepy when I read/watch American Psycho when I'm in a bad mood. I say it's hilarious, but she isn't convinced. :lol

I'll have to check out Lunar Park.

Sydneyfan 06-11-2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hildegoat (Post 270156)
My girlfriend thinks I'm creepy when I read/watch American Psycho when I'm in a bad mood. I say it's hilarious, but she isn't convinced. :lol

I'll have to check out Lunar Park.

:lol I can kind of see her point.

But large parts of it are very blackly funny, which I think is the point that most critics of the book and the movie completely missed.

Interestingly, in Lunar Park, Ellis claims that Psycho was inspired by his father and the awful relationship they had. Whether this is actually true or a writer making a backstory more interesting is hard to say.

clewis 06-11-2007 10:29 PM

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ghalloween.jpg

I need to reread American Psycho. It's been a while.

Whiskeyfan 06-12-2007 03:30 AM

I know this is non Ryan discussion, but a friend sent me this and its kinda relevant so:

Ryan Adams lists TEN books worth checking out

TOP TEN BOOKS worth of Investigation.

1. New York Times "Guide To Essential Knowledge" introduction by John

Leonard/ st.martis press

"Great for anybody who wants to know something about just about

anything. esp songwriters/ people tired of "busy reading" like magazines

or whatever- also rad for when waiting for something to come out of the

oven.smart and delicious"

2. The Histories "Herodotus"/ Barnes and Noble Classics- Translated by

G.C. Macaulay and Revised by Donald Lateiner

"essential if exploring the documented history of the world. some of

this will remind you of something else"

3. Ideas, a History of thought and invention, from fire to freud by

Peter watson/ Harper Perennial

"This is awesome. check out Chapter 11- "the near death of the book,

the birth of christian art"

4. The Wisdom of PTAH-HOTEP, "spiritual treasures from the age of the

pyramids" by Christian Jaco/ Carroll & Graff

"indiana Jones would have read this in the time it takes people to

read Us Weekly in an airport. awesomeness from antiquity"

5. Underworld, "the mysterious orgins of Civilization, by Graham

Hancock. /Three Rivers Press

"Graham is the man. got the scuba gear, and going in for some answers

to the greatest cover up of all time. the history of history. love it.

Fingerprints of the Gods is also pretty rad."

6. Decoding The Universe " by Charles Seife/ Viking

"this is some bedroom sexy reading. don't break yr glasses. yowzah.

warning- lots of math"

7. Death By Black Hole, "and other cosmic quandries" by Neil DeGrasse

Tyson/ Norton Press

"kind of covers a bunch of things from relativity onwards but the

whole concept of Black Holes is just lovely not terrifying. somnething

has to move the universe along its natural path. its just a big

waterfall dude. whatever."

8. The Well Eductated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer/ Norton Press

"i am a high school drop out with a GED so this and other books of its

kind I find very useful and important to furthering my eductaion

regardless of my lack of institutional schooling. "An Incomplete

Education" by Judy Jones is also good. I like this one a bit better

though becasuse its heavier and thicker and I can sit on it when i play

paino so I can reach the keys sometimes."

9. The Lost Books of The Bible and The Forgotten Books of Eden, taken

from the Syriac Mss. of Pilate's Letters to Tiberius-/Meridian/Penguin

"for those lost souls"

10. The Bhagavad Gita/ Penguin Classics

"read, re-read, read again."

Quincy 06-12-2007 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clewis (Post 270204)

My friend just bought that, sadly he didn't finish it by the time I had to go.

At the moment, Alice in Wonderland, still reading A Hero With A Thousand Faces, and some comics that are lying around.

Starlite 06-12-2007 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quincy (Post 270227)
At the moment, Alice in Wonderland,

I never read it as a kid, but I just finished it a couple of days ago. I can't say that I enjoyed it very much. The plays on words were amusing, but otherwise I found the book to be rather annoying.

Quincy 06-12-2007 08:27 AM

Neither did I, someone bought it for me and it's one of their favourite books, and I can see why, but that has something to do with the kind of person they are and the book compliments her character.

SkortBrun 06-12-2007 09:58 AM

Just started Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story by Chuck Klosterman last night. It seems good so far and should hopefully make the day go by fast at work today.