TBY Forum

TBY Forum (http://www.tobeyoung.org/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tobeyoung.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Podcasts (http://www.tobeyoung.org/showthread.php?t=23589)

plath 11-03-2009 02:50 PM

Podcasts

i would like your best podcast recommendations please! as some of you know, i have a killer commute to work every day and so far have filled my ipod with NPR podcasts (as recommended by roxy) and the other day i found the no depression podcasts which i just love. do any of you listen to and love and podcasts? are there any good ryan adams-related ones out there that i'm just not finding? all suggestions welcome :)

blueone 11-03-2009 03:28 PM

Re: Podcasts

The Definitive Word (available from iTunes, or here.)

It is very, very good.

lukin 11-04-2009 03:03 AM

The Ricky Gervais Show.

Especially the first couple of seasons, they are side-splittingly funny.

Although I don't think you can get them for free anymore. They're on iTunes though and are well worth the $

Libertine4Life 11-04-2009 01:59 PM

The Russell Brand ones were always gold, until he was sacked.

Magnolia Mountain 11-04-2009 04:32 PM

I like listening to podcasts from different movie review sites, particularly Spill.com.. the main critics there have these hour long weekly podcasts, a lot of them are downright hilarious and totally off-topic. My favourite is called A Couple Of Cold Ones with Korey and Carlyle.

Tim Simmons 11-05-2009 08:27 AM

This American Life
NPR Music: Live Concerts
Sound Opinions

Lost podcasts (in season)
Ricky Gervais podcasts + Audiobooks.

Peter123 11-07-2009 01:50 PM

I still listen to the ricky gervais ones all the time. Karl Pilkington is my hero.

lukin 11-07-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter123 (Post 615507)
I still listen to the ricky gervais ones all the time. Karl Pilkington is my hero.

I could eat a knob at night.

plath 11-10-2009 02:21 PM

thanks for all the suggestions guys!

i just spent my entire commute home listening to NPR's "albums of the decade" podcast.. it was aired just a few days (and more decade-related podcasts to come, so keep cheking back y'all) but it made me SO nostalgic and added about a million albums to the list i'd been thinking about for this thread! they did a segment about bands/artists that failed to reach their potential: sufjan stevens being one and clap your hands say yeah who i'd completely forgotten about which is crazy considering they were my 2006 summer soundtrack!

sleigher 03-11-2017 12:17 AM

doug loves movies
how did this get made?
u talkin u2 to me?

ishellmay 03-13-2017 03:46 PM

I've been really into You Made It Weird lately...specifically, the recent episode with Reza Aslan. VERY funny and very educational. They discuss the changing religious and racial landscape of the U.S.

sleigher 03-13-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishellmay (Post 808987)
I've been really into You Made It Weird lately...

love the episodes with david bazan and rob bell

gweeps 03-13-2017 05:34 PM

I don't listen to any one podcast series on a regular basis. I tend to look for specific people or topics. A couple I have enjoyed:

Allan Gregg in Conversation: Roger Ebert
The Opie Radio Podcast: Asians Do Not Like Patrice O'Neal

FavoriteEver 03-13-2017 07:26 PM

I recently got into podcasts. I haven't explored them much. I binged Serial and My Favorite Murder. My Favorite Murder is definitely my favorite, but between the releases of new episodes I'll listen to True Crime Garage.

Tim Simmons 03-13-2017 08:22 PM

Comedy Bang Bang is always my go to. Always. Heynongman.

thebalvenie 03-14-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FavoriteEver (Post 808996)
I recently got into podcasts. I haven't explored them much. I binged Serial and My Favorite Murder. My Favorite Murder is definitely my favorite, but between the releases of new episodes I'll listen to True Crime Garage.

I don't mind true crime garage....the captain gets on my nerves sometimes...he talks when he shouldn't and he's kind of rude...and then other times he's redeeming.

anyways,

if you're in to true crime podcasts i can't emphasize enough...

listen to up and vanished. excellent podcast.

listen to "in the dark" ...also excellent

other pcasts that are great:

reveal; criminal; lore; sword and scale; generation why; true crime all the time; the vanished; joe rogan podcast; new yorker radio hour; the nerdist, wtf w/ marc maron; off camera w/ sam jones; sodajerker on songwriting

Potion09 03-14-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Simmons (Post 808997)
Comedy Bang Bang is always my go to. Always. Heynongman.

I don't listen as religiously anymore, but there are a few guests/characters that always get me to listen. Mantzoukus is one of them. There are so many classic episodes that destroy me. My all-time favorite is probably Wipeout with cowboy poet Dalton Wilcox.

andyo812 03-14-2017 12:50 PM

Up and Vanished is great. Crazy turn of events the past few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ishellmay 03-14-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleigher (Post 808988)
love the episodes with david bazan and rob bell

Cheers, I'll check those out!

shamooth 03-14-2017 08:37 PM

a couple more. bill burr. doug stanhope.

LoadedLikeFreights 03-20-2017 10:35 AM

Just started the "Missing Richard Simmons" one, mutiple friends have recommended it recently

ishellmay 03-23-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoadedLikeFreights (Post 809299)
Just started the "Missing Richard Simmons" one, mutiple friends have recommended it recently

Thanks for reminding me, someone brought that to my attention recently.

FavoriteEver 03-24-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebalvenie (Post 809001)
I don't mind true crime garage....the captain gets on my nerves sometimes...he talks when he shouldn't and he's kind of rude...and then other times he's redeeming.

anyways,

if you're in to true crime podcasts i can't emphasize enough...

listen to up and vanished. excellent podcast.

listen to "in the dark" ...also excellent

other pcasts that are great:

reveal; criminal; lore; sword and scale; generation why; true crime all the time; the vanished; joe rogan podcast; new yorker radio hour; the nerdist, wtf w/ marc maron; off camera w/ sam jones; sodajerker on songwriting

I'll have to check out up and vanished. i've never heard of that one. True crime is definitely my favorite genre for podcasts, but it can get heavy at times. I feel like I need a comedy one thrown in for when listening to stories about people getting murdered becomes too much.

thebalvenie 03-27-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FavoriteEver (Post 809552)
I'll have to check out up and vanished. i've never heard of that one. True crime is definitely my favorite genre for podcasts, but it can get heavy at times. I feel like I need a comedy one thrown in for when listening to stories about people getting murdered becomes too much.

agreed.

i go for the ESPN app and listen to the baseball tonight podcast.

thebambino 03-27-2017 05:48 PM

chris d'elia's "congratulations" podcast is a gem if you enjoy his humor...having had the chance to meet and party with the dude once...he is a unique individual to say the least.