TBY Forum

TBY Forum (http://www.tobeyoung.org/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tobeyoung.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cardinal George Pell sentenced to 6 years for sexual assault on choirboys (http://www.tobeyoung.org/showthread.php?t=33324)

Sydneyfan 03-12-2019 07:18 PM

Cardinal George Pell sentenced to 6 years for sexual assault on choirboys

Sentencing just concluded in Melbourne, broadcast live. Six years maximum, three years 8 months non-parole. There will be an appeal.

For those not familiar, Pell was/is the third highest ranking Catholic official in the world. He was head of finances in the Vatican, and reported directly to the Pope. Before that, he was Archbishop of both Melbourne and Sydney.

He's easily the biggest "name" to be caught up in the church's ongoing sex scandals.

Sydneyfan 03-12-2019 07:22 PM

Re: Cardinal George Pell sentenced to 6 years for sexual assault on choirboys

Live updates here:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...13-p513q4.html

Tim Simmons 03-12-2019 10:08 PM

Fuck that guy

Sydneyfan 03-12-2019 11:29 PM

There's been a lot of reaction shocked at how the sentence is so lenient. Actually, it's pretty much par for the course, I would have thought. Australia generally doesn't give out massive sentences like the US, and in some states you don't get life even for pre-meditated murder.

Given Pell's age (he's in his late 70s), poor health, and the fact that in all probability there's very little chance of him re-offending, I didn't think the length of the sentence was a surprise. Others may disagree.

His appeal is set down for June. Having heard the judgement in full, it looks like the judge was trying to make the decision as appeal-proof as possible. There will be wide-spread public outrage here if Pell does ultimately get released.

roscoe 03-13-2019 06:33 AM

Should have been more. Offences aggravated by his outrageous hypocrisy & total lack of remorse. As Tim says, 'Fuck That Guy'. Hope he has a nice time in prison.

ViolaGal 03-13-2019 09:54 AM

I'm really glad that the church is finally having to grapple with this issue. When I was little (ok, maybe jr high?) I remember watching and HBO movie about a kid abused by a priest, it was haunting. I am happy to see this changing, finally....

FavoriteEver 03-13-2019 10:35 AM

He's going to be absolutely fucked in prison. Good riddance.

Sydneyfan 03-13-2019 08:30 PM

Discussing Pell with a friend last week, and she told me that when she was 10 years old and attending Catholic school in a smallish country town, a priest she happened to be alone with briefly one afternoon, suddenly grabbed her,
kissed her very aggressively, and then quickly walked off. She was shocked and confused, and knew that he had something he shouldn't. But her family were very devout, and she had basically been brought up to believe priests were like mini-gods. So she told no-one.

A couple of months later, another priest from the same parish suddenly disappeared overnight. Parishioners were told he had felt the need to "go on a retreat urgently". As you do. Shortly after, a Church official from Sydney turned up at the school, addressed all the children at assembly and asked them to think about whether any of the priests in the parish had ever made them feel uncomfortable or acted in a strange way around them. He said he would be waiting in an office in the school all day, just in case any of the kids had something to tell him.

After a lot of angst, my friend finally screwed up the courage to go and tell him what had happened. When she told him about the kiss, the official nodded and then asked what else had happened after that. When she said that nothing else had happened, he rolled his eyes at her and told her if that was it, it wasn't very serious at all and she was wasting time complaining about such a trivial thing.

shamooth 03-13-2019 09:30 PM

organized religion needs a serious reevaluation

ViolaGal 03-19-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydneyfan (Post 831481)
After a lot of angst, my friend finally screwed up the courage to go and tell him what had happened. When she told him about the kiss, the official nodded and then asked what else had happened after that. When she said that nothing else had happened, he rolled his eyes at her and told her if that was it, it wasn't very serious at all and she was wasting time complaining about such a trivial thing.

Oh brother. This is why nobody says anything. Fuck that guy. Fuck all those guys.
Grrr.

Sydneyfan 06-04-2019 06:14 PM

Pell is back in court right now as the appeal against his sentence begins. Like his trial, the appeal is being livestreamed. That's very unusual for Australia, where trials are usually held largely in camera.

Live updates here for anyone interested:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/vict...05-p51ul5.html

thebalvenie 06-05-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaGal (Post 831588)
Oh brother. This is why nobody says anything. Fuck that guy. Fuck all those guys.
Grrr.

amen to that.

Sydneyfan 08-20-2019 09:21 PM

Pell has lost his appeal in the Supreme Court this morning. He still has the option to appeal to the High Court of Australia, although there is no guarantee that the High Court will agree to hear his case.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...droidApp_Tweet