View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #52
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Documentary Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
I mentioned this in the horror thread, but Room 237, the doc about Kubrick's The Shining was really fun to watch. I hadn't seen the film in years, but the insights about the film are really engaging and creepy in their own right.
I recently watched this as well. The alternate theories ranged from creepy to kooky, but it was an interesting watch for sure. It encouraged me to put The Shining on my Quickflix queue, just to check out the veracity of some the theories for myself.

One I highly recommend is The Act Of Killing, a hot favourite for an Oscar this year. The film examines the massacre of approx. 1 million people during the Communists purges in Indonesia is the mid-1960's. It's also the most truly original doco I think I"ve ever seen - several men who cheerfully admit to being paid to kill their fellow citizens during the purges are invited to make a film about their experiences using any genre they choose. The results are surreal and often darkly comic; and it becomes clear that the film-maker is using the artifice of theatre to reveal deeper truths.

The film feels a little manipulative and staged at times, and at 3 hours is a little too long - but it's certainly a must-see for documentary lovers.

Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05090 seconds with 11 queries