View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #141
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of
Re: the highlight of my day (now cricket discussion thread)

Vaughan to reclaim captaincy

Michael Vaughan is expected to replace Andrew Flintoff as England captain for the upcoming One-Day International series against Australia and New Zealand.

The Yorkshireman has suffered with knee problems since leading England to their epic Ashes victory in 2005, but has proved his fitness again on Friday in a game at Bowral in the south of Sydney and now looks set for a return.

Flintoff's disastrous reign at the helm culminated in a 5-0 Ashes whitewash for only the second time in history and Vaughan should now return to take some of the strain off the suffering all-rounder.

"I do believe it is a lot to ask of him, especially of a young, inexperienced side where you've got to do a lot of captaining and you're not really getting a lot of help from these young guys," Fletcher explained.

"If you look at the Australian side, [Ricky] Ponting is getting a lot of help from the experienced players around him so it is a very difficult job for Flintoff."

As to his own position in the England set-up, Fletcher has reaffirmed his commitment to the cause at least until the World Cup in March.

"I've not changed my mind. I will look at my future after the World Cup," Fletcher added.

"I don't know if I will have the time to take these players on, but I do believe I can take them forward.

"I will look at it after the World Cup, but I do believe I have the confidence of the players and the backing of the players and that's very important."

England and Vaughan look set to resume their international duties with the Twenty20 match against Australia on Tuesday.

http://home.skysports.com/ashes/arti...laim+captaincy
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05332 seconds with 10 queries