TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 97's - Blame It On Gravity (May 13)

Old 04-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute
Old 97's - Blame It On Gravity (May 13)

This comes out May 13, and I just heard about it now. Anyone looking forward to this? Drag It Up had some fantastic songs, but it also had some real clunkers.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Old 97's - Blame It On Gravity (May 13)

I've been wondering when the 97's were gonna kick one out again.

And yeah, the title "Drag It Up" was kind of fitting for some of those songs.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

raisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to behold

I will definitely pick this up when it comes out.

I do prefer Rhett solo though.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
I've been wondering when the 97's were gonna kick one out again.

And yeah, the title "Drag It Up" was kind of fitting for some of those songs.
Won't Be Home and Adelaide are some of my favorite Old 97s tunes, but Coahuila?

And Valium Waltz is probably one of the most accurately named songs ever.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

To me, each Old 97's album is like a new girlfriend, and none of them will ever top the awesome sex with the "girlfriend" I fell in love with, i.e. Too Far To Care.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

I'm not sure if I've ever sexed-up an album before.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
ewok.online
CATHERINE

It was a metaphor, fool.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

been meaning to check out these for quite some time now...anyone got a good starting point?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Too Far To Care is the album to get, man.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

I agree.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:57 AM   #11
stickie
losering

stickie has a spectacular aura about

wow, this is not a very good album, although if you prefer rhett solo, maybe you'll like it more than i.
stickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Old 97's "Blame It On Gravity" (Texas Music)
Richard Skanse
April 11, 2008

Most discerning music aficionados will agree that an artist’s best work isn’t always the stuff that grabs you on the first spin; a lot of truly great records only reveal their beauty and depth over time and many repeated listens. Sure enough, time’s been good to the Old 97’s last outing, Drag It Up, but fully embracing the record’s melancholy heart on its own terms still feels like the chore implied by its title; it remains the only album in the band’s catalog that just isn’t a whole lotta fun. Fortunately, the new Blame It On Gravity delivers fun in spades, along with all the hooks and lyrical smarts that set this Dallas foursome apart from the middling alt-country crowd even before there was much of an alt-country crowd to speak of. Like 2001’s excellent Satellite Rides, the focus here is more pop than the punkified yee-haw of the band’s mid-’90s albums, though it sounds positively scrappy compared to the two sparkling solo albums frontman Rhett Miller released on either side of Drag It Up. From start to finish, the album is stacked with jumpy, infectious energy, even as the lyrics grapple with the thorny topic of love lost, unrequited and just plain foolhardy. Guitarist Ken Bethea and drummer Philip Peeples keep the engine barreling along at giddyup speed, and Miller, who for a spell seemed to be hoarding his best stuff for his solo gig, brings his A-game to standout tracks like “The Fool,” “No Baby I” and “Ride.” But it’s bassist Murry Hammond who contributes the heartbreakingly beautiful country lament, “Color of a Lonely Heart Is Blue” and the album’s most ebullient charmer, “This Beautiful Thing.” Come to think of it, that would have made a dandy — and fitting — album title.

Texas Music
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
Too Far To Care is the album to get, man.
I like that one. But, I truly love Fight Songs too (it being the first 97's record I bought).
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #14
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

Did anyone end up getting this album?
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #15
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

I did, and I listened to it a few times before putting it on the shelf.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

Ok, so not worth getting, then.
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #17
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

None of the tracks really caught me right away and gave me a reason to listen more. I need to listen again, but I wouldn't put it high on my priority list.
Sponsored Links