TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Electric Guitar Player Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
gsmile
The Mass Dullness

gsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to all
The Electric Guitar Player Thread

Attention all TBY guitar players: what kind of electric guitar do you play?

I've spent the better part of a year wrestling with different makes of Fender Stratocasters. I love the tremolo for texturizing (more in the atmospheric David Lynch realm, as opposed to metal style tremolo) and the ease of play. But I'm getting really fed up with intonation problems and a somewhat wussy tone. I've recently been trying out a American Deluxe 2010 Strat for a week or so, but I'm heading back tomorrow to maybe try something Gibson-y. I need more bite to my tone...I wanna feel like I'm wrestling with the guitar a bit more when I play. Strats are a bit too effortless...maybe that's why Eric Clapton has used them for 40 years

TBY shredders, what's your axe of choice?
gsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future
Re: The Electric Guitar Player Thread

I have a few guitars but 95% of the time it's my Tele that I reach for.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

My electric is a Fender Jaguar Special HH
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
gsmile
The Mass Dullness

gsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Bizness View Post
My electric is a Fender Jaguar Special HH
Cool! How does it play/sound compared to a Strat? I have a Fender Jaguar Bass and I love it. I love having the active pickup switch to give me that extra boost when I need it.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is something like this, but with a locking nut and a more sunburst body... wish I had a Tele, Strat, or Les Paul... something a bit more classic.

Spoiler:

You're gonna have intonation problems period w/o a locking nut mechanism with the tremolo, but on the other hand... I HATE the floating bridges and wish I had a regular bridge.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Gibson SG.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
Gibson SG.
I want one of those!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
GoodSkanky

I'm sure I've pulled this stunt before, but here's whatcha really need to rock out wit yo cock out!

Spoiler:
Old 12-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
gsmile
The Mass Dullness

Amazing, Skanky. I found a picture of a similar guitar and it looks amazing actually...uh...strapped on.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

I would show you my guitars that I used to play but Tumblr is having server capacity issues again.
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmile View Post
Amazing, Skanky. I found a picture of a similar guitar and it looks amazing actually...uh...strapped on.

So.... who's my new favorite band?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
gsmile
The Mass Dullness

So, I decided to go with another stratocaster. I tried out some Mexican made models which are significantly cheaper than the American made models. They get a bad rap (mostly from retailers), but my first impression on playing the one I eventually bought the other day was that it actually felt like an instrument. The American models I've been having problems with this year have just felt shoddy and poorly made. I instantly liked the feel of this Mexican one and the color is a beaut too; it looks like black at first, but look closely and you'll see it's actually a very deep purple.

Really loving the feel of this guitar, and that's more important to me than price or where it was made. I'd love to get a hollow body, maybe a Gretch one day...but for now, this strat should do me fine.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
GoodSkanky

oooh! nice. Congrats. Looks fun!

Do you mind telling the range of one of these strats?

I totally need to lose my Schmoe Shatriani looking thing and get a classic design that is easier to change strings on!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
GoodSkanky

also... kickin' wood flooring!
Old 12-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
gsmile
The Mass Dullness

This cost me $550 Canadian, but luckily I had credit at my local Long & McQuade, so it only ran me about $345. And yeah, love the wood flooring!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmile View Post
This cost me $550 Canadian, but luckily I had credit at my local Long & McQuade, so it only ran me about $345. And yeah, love the wood flooring!
That's not bad... may have to invest one of these days.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #17
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

My Tele is a Mexican one and I love the shit out of it. If you play it in the shop and it feels good, then it feels good, right?

I've been really getting the urge to buy a new guitar lately. I'm thinking maybe a Les Paul Jr for my songs that need a bit more rock than the Tele jangle.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #18
dtuck90

dtuck90 has a spectacular aura aboutdtuck90 has a spectacular aura about

I'm currently playing this Danelectro '63. Was super cheap but plays like a much more expensive guitar. Has an awesome sound with the lipstick pickups and is super light as the body is completely hollow

dtuck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
My Tele is a Mexican one and I love the shit out of it. If you play it in the shop and it feels good, then it feels good, right?

I've been really getting the urge to buy a new guitar lately. I'm thinking maybe a Les Paul Jr for my songs that need a bit more rock than the Tele jangle.
This brings up a good question...

OF THE FOLLOWING

Fender Strat
Gibson SG
Gibson Les Paul
Fender Tele
other Fender Jags mustangs, Tele deluxe etc...

What are their primary differences in over tone and what types of music do they excel for?

I suspect and Telecaster might be my thing, but don't know if I'm lusting after classic designs over their actual function.

I do remember that the Strat 3 pickups a wider range of tones than a two pick up Les Paul, but having humbuckers cuts down noise.

I do want one of these, but don't know how to decide...
Old 01-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #20
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Gibson guy, so I'm probably biased.

Well, an SG sounds pretty much like a Les Paul with more snap, because of the lighter weight and thinner body. Otherwise, they're pretty identical. And if you find the right Epi LP, it can stack up against a Gibson pretty well. My Epi and my SG usually get the same amount of love. I just need new pickups in it, because they're clearly cheap ones. But it plays great. And it's even had the headstock snapped off.

My Tele is good for just a raunchy, bratty kind of tone. It's a frankenstein like Strummer's. Lots of top end, lots of sharp bite. Not good for soloing, but I've never found a Tele I like for solos.

A Jazzmaster is a good medium between a Fender and a Gibson. I mean, J Mascis plays one. And look at his tone. But he's pushing his Marshalls pretty hard, too.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #21
lukin
I'm talking ace

My Epiphone Les Paul feels great but doesn't sound too good. It just sounds way too muddy. I've had it a long time and don't really use it anymore but I have been thinking about getting some good pickups for it which should improve the tone.

I use my Tele the most, usually in the bridge pickup position with the tone knob rolled back a bit so it doesn't sound too trebley. Sometimes I use both pickups with the tone right up.

I've also got a really cheap Squier Strat which actually sounds pretty decent that I occasionally pull out, I sometimes like the smoother sound of the Strat over the Tele for a couple of my songs that require a nice clean tone.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #22
lukin
I'm talking ace

Last edited by lukin; 01-03-2011 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: Double post
Old 01-30-2011, 05:38 AM   #23
lukin
I'm talking ace

My guitar player in my band just bought himself a Gibson 335. Nice.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #24
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Oh hell yeah. I want one sooooooo bad.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #25
gsmile
The Mass Dullness

She's a purdy one, that's for sure. Bet the tone is just outta sight.
Sponsored Links