TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Movie Recommendations

Old 02-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #1276
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future
Re: Movie Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Mountain View Post
Oh, and Lukin....your avatar just scared the shit out of me.
Sorry! I decided it was too scary and might offend people so I changed it to one that's not quite so scary. It's actually a gif so it's meant to be moving, but for some reason it's not. I don't know - computer's aren't really my thing.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #1277
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Sorry! I decided it was too scary and might offend people so I changed it to one that's not quite so scary. It's actually a gif so it's meant to be moving, but for some reason it's not. I don't know - computer's aren't really my thing.
It's okay. I love The Exorcist.

When I was a kid (pretty much up until the age of 16 or 17), I was so freaked out by the images in that movie. Same with Child's Play, as embarrassed as I am to admit that.

Speaking of childhood memories and movies, My Girl just came on tv immediately after Sixteen Candles. This means I may have to stay up another two hours...I everything about My Girl (and my ancient crush on Macaulay Culkin).

It was the first movie to ever make me cry.
Magnolia Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #1278
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

Quote:
It's okay. I love The Exorcist.

When I was a kid (pretty much up until the age of 16 or 17), I was so freaked out by the images in that movie. Same with Child's Play, as embarrassed as I am to admit that.
At least you weren't scared by the Leprechaun movies as a kid. That fucked me up when I was 6 years old.

And the Exorcist gave me nightmares for about a week after seeing it for the first time when I was 14 or 15. Stupid flashes of the Devil's face.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #1279
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I still haven't seen those Leprechaun movies. Isn't Jennifer Aniston in one?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 AM   #1280
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

Quote:
I still haven't seen those Leprechaun movies. Isn't Jennifer Aniston in one?
Yes, the first one.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #1281
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

I watched The Class (or Entre Les Murs) on the weekend. It's a French film that won the Palme d'Or at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival) and is basically about a teacher and his experiences with the students in his class.
I know that doesn't terribly exciting, but it's fascinating to watch. None of the people in the film are trained actors - the main "actor" is actually the author of the book that the film's based on. The students are just school kids and the other teachers are just teachers. I have no idea how much of the film was scripted but it really looked and felt like a documentary.

It also makes you wonder if you were that awful to your teachers when you were in school
Old 02-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #1282
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

That sound interesting. I think I'll check it out.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:57 AM   #1283
Peter123
Sing Me Something New

Peter123 has a spectacular aura aboutPeter123 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
2.) The Lion King - I bought the VHS the day of release in 1995, we got burgled a couple of years later and I searched about 50 shops until I finally found one that still had it so I could replace it. I bought the DVD when that came out, but when you have a kid they tend to scratch the DVDs, so I guess I'm waiting until they next release it. It's my favourite Disney movie too.
Im pretty sure its the only film to make me cry.

And maybe Escape To Victory.(Love the ridiculousness of this film.)
Cause you're the only
God a man could ever need
Peter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #1284
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
1.) Audrey Tatou - the only film I've seen with her in (other than Amelie, which I loved) is the Da Vinci Code and I don't think that counts somehow. I always thought that Dirty Pretty Things looked interesting so maybe that'll get a rent sometime soon.
You're right, The Da Vinci Code doesn't really count It was one of the worst movies ever made and you definitely need to see her in her element. Dirty Pretty Things is very good, and the guy who's in it, Chiwetel Ejiofor, is great too.
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #1285
robotulism
lamest gamer

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

I finally saw Lolita the night before last. I love Kubrick. It was not my favortie of his, but I enjoyed it.
robotulism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #1286
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotulism View Post
I finally saw Lolita the night before last. I love Kubrick. It was not my favortie of his, but I enjoyed it.
Great flick! Stanley Kubrick was such a cool and odd director...I'm not sure what my favourite film of his is either. I'll have to think about that, actually.

Is it sad that I've never seen Dr. Strangelove?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #1287
robotulism
lamest gamer

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

Quote:
Is it sad that I've never seen Dr. Strangelove?
Uh, no. I liked that film a lot, but it is my least favorite Kubrick. But, you know, definitely see it soon. But, yeah, its no Clockwork Orange, The Shining, etc.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #1288
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Quote:
Uh, no. I liked that film a lot, but it is my least favorite Kubrick. But, you know, definitely see it soon. But, yeah, its no Clockwork Orange, The Shining, etc.
I like The Shining and Clockwork Orange alot, too. Full Metal Jacket is also excellent (well, the first half is excellent).

I tried to watch Eyes Wide Shut a few months ago, but it was almost too weird for me (which is saying something). Not bad, just...strange.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #1289
FrigidRoses
Choke

FrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud of

Avoid the new Friday The 13th.
FrigidRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #1290
robotulism
lamest gamer

I love all of Full Metal Jacket, and I can't remember if I've seen Eyes Wide Shut, I guess I'd better put it in my netflix queue.

I rented this movie this weekend called The Gathering with Christina Ricci. I rented it because it said it was such an original plot for a scary movie. It was original, and I kinda enjoyed it. And then I have Wristcutters:A Love Story to watch tomorrow. Oh, did I tell you that I finally saw Velvet Goldmine?! I loved it.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #1291
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrigidRoses View Post
Avoid the new Friday The 13th.
I watched about half of it online last night out of pure boredom (plus, the bf is a fan of the original one). Yeah, it was pretty horrible.

Quote:
I love all of Full Metal Jacket, and I can't remember if I've seen Eyes Wide Shut, I guess I'd better put it in my netflix queue.

I rented this movie this weekend called The Gathering with Christina Ricci. I rented it because it said it was such an original plot for a scary movie. It was original, and I kinda enjoyed it. And then I have Wristcutters:A Love Story to watch tomorrow. Oh, did I tell you that I finally saw Velvet Goldmine?! I loved it.
I have not seen Wristcutters (mostly because of the title...probably the one violent act I cannot bear to watch on film), but Patrick Fugit's in it. Is that why you're renting it, Bot?

Velvet Goldmine is awesome...and the music is fantastic, as well! You know what Todd Haynes movie is even better, though? I'm Not There (You know? The one where Cate Blanchett, Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Richard Gere, etc, etc play versions of Bob Dylan). So cool.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #1292
thunderoad
Real Gone

thunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of light

the best thing about Wristcutters was Tom Waits
Old 02-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #1293
robotulism
lamest gamer

Yes, I rented it because of Patrick Fugit. I confess. I even like Spun because of him. And he is icky in that movie.

I know I have to see I'm Not There, it is just not near as easy to get Metal Kid to agree to the Dylan movie as it was a story about wrist cutting. I had to trick him for Velvet Goldmine. And after he figured out what it was about in the first few minutes, he convieniently fell asleep.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 AM   #1294
lukin
I'm talking ace

Dr Strangelove is my favourite Kubrick. Followed very closely by A Clockwork Orange.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:18 AM   #1295
ferris wheel junkie
the hell is thish words??

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

i saw human nature (michel gondry) a few days ago. it was great. i recommend

i just looked gondry up on wikipedia. i didn't realise how many of his films i've already seen and loved. i want to see science of sleep now.
ferris wheel junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:55 AM   #1296
Dear Burger King

Dear Burger King will become famous soon enough

I know this isnt a movie but are there any fans of 'The Wire' here? I just finished watching the entire series, I honestly think its the greatest thing ive ever seen on television, i love the sopranos, deadwood, the shield (i cant wait to see the final season), alot of quality shows, but The Wire is something else, ive just never seen anything so complex and intricate. No show has ever made me feel as much either, Ive nearly been in tears more than once watching it. So, any fans?
Dear Burger King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:22 AM   #1297
plath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Burger King View Post
I know this isnt a movie but are there any fans of 'The Wire' here? I just finished watching the entire series, I honestly think its the greatest thing ive ever seen on television, i love the sopranos, deadwood, the shield (i cant wait to see the final season), alot of quality shows, but The Wire is something else, ive just never seen anything so complex and intricate. No show has ever made me feel as much either, Ive nearly been in tears more than once watching it. So, any fans?
so many people have recommended the wire to me, i hear it is amazing. haven't watched it yet, it seems to be 'cult tv' over here in the uk, i.e. people watching dvd box sets of it or downloading it from the net.

i watched two films last night - two direct opposites of films. a night at the roxbury which was v.funny! and a kevin costner film, revenge which i don't even remember checking on my lovefilm dvd rental list. it was a weird film, a lot better than i expected actually! anthony quinn and madeline stowe (who i love).. definitely went to places i never expected the film to go; but by no means a life-changing film experience. enjoyable, though.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #1298
Dear Burger King

Dear Burger King will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plath View Post
so many people have recommended the wire to me, i hear it is amazing. haven't watched it yet, it seems to be 'cult tv' over here in the uk, i.e. people watching dvd box sets of it or downloading it from the net.

i watched two films last night - two direct opposites of films. a night at the roxbury which was v.funny! and a kevin costner film, revenge which i don't even remember checking on my lovefilm dvd rental list. it was a weird film, a lot better than i expected actually! anthony quinn and madeline stowe (who i love).. definitely went to places i never expected the film to go; but by no means a life-changing film experience. enjoyable, though.
I love madeline stowe, whatever happened to her? She was brilliant back in the day, last of the mohicans, 12 monkeys, i havent seen her in anything for ages.

As for the wire, get the dvds if you can, it starts slow but then all of a sudden just hits you.
Dear Burger King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #1299
plath

i just searched for her on imdb.com she hasn't done anything since 2007, the last thing being a tv show with jeff golblum called raines where he plays "an eccentric but brilliant cop, solves murders in a very unusual way - he turns the victims into his partners". sooo... that sounds weird....

Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 AM   #1300
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris wheel junkie View Post
i saw human nature (michel gondry) a few days ago. it was great. i recommend

i just looked gondry up on wikipedia. i didn't realise how many of his films i've already seen and loved. i want to see science of sleep now.
I thought Science Of Sleep was great. I don't think I've seen Human Nature. Have you seen Be Kind, Rewind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Burger King View Post
There might be others, but clewis and I both love The Wire. I agree it's the best show on TV. It's just amazing writing and acting and storytelling on all levels. I don't know many people who watched it, but everyone who has has said the same thing - it's phenomenal.
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links