TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Podcasts

Old 11-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
plath

Podcasts

i would like your best podcast recommendations please! as some of you know, i have a killer commute to work every day and so far have filled my ipod with NPR podcasts (as recommended by roxy) and the other day i found the no depression podcasts which i just love. do any of you listen to and love and podcasts? are there any good ryan adams-related ones out there that i'm just not finding? all suggestions welcome
Old 11-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of
Re: Podcasts

The Definitive Word (available from iTunes, or here.)

It is very, very good.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

The Ricky Gervais Show.

Especially the first couple of seasons, they are side-splittingly funny.

Although I don't think you can get them for free anymore. They're on iTunes though and are well worth the $
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

The Russell Brand ones were always gold, until he was sacked.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

I like listening to podcasts from different movie review sites, particularly Spill.com.. the main critics there have these hour long weekly podcasts, a lot of them are downright hilarious and totally off-topic. My favourite is called A Couple Of Cold Ones with Korey and Carlyle.
Magnolia Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

This American Life
NPR Music: Live Concerts
Sound Opinions

Lost podcasts (in season)
Ricky Gervais podcasts + Audiobooks.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Peter123
Sing Me Something New

Peter123 has a spectacular aura aboutPeter123 has a spectacular aura about

I still listen to the ricky gervais ones all the time. Karl Pilkington is my hero.
Cause you're the only
God a man could ever need
Peter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter123 View Post
I still listen to the ricky gervais ones all the time. Karl Pilkington is my hero.
I could eat a knob at night.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
plath

thanks for all the suggestions guys!

i just spent my entire commute home listening to NPR's "albums of the decade" podcast.. it was aired just a few days (and more decade-related podcasts to come, so keep cheking back y'all) but it made me SO nostalgic and added about a million albums to the list i'd been thinking about for this thread! they did a segment about bands/artists that failed to reach their potential: sufjan stevens being one and clap your hands say yeah who i'd completely forgotten about which is crazy considering they were my 2006 summer soundtrack!
Old 03-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #10
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

doug loves movies
how did this get made?
u talkin u2 to me?
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #11
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

I've been really into You Made It Weird lately...specifically, the recent episode with Reza Aslan. VERY funny and very educational. They discuss the changing religious and racial landscape of the U.S.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
I've been really into You Made It Weird lately...
love the episodes with david bazan and rob bell
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #13
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

I don't listen to any one podcast series on a regular basis. I tend to look for specific people or topics. A couple I have enjoyed:

Allan Gregg in Conversation: Roger Ebert
The Opie Radio Podcast: Asians Do Not Like Patrice O'Neal
Old 03-13-2017, 07:26 PM   #14
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

I recently got into podcasts. I haven't explored them much. I binged Serial and My Favorite Murder. My Favorite Murder is definitely my favorite, but between the releases of new episodes I'll listen to True Crime Garage.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #15
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Comedy Bang Bang is always my go to. Always. Heynongman.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #16
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FavoriteEver View Post
I recently got into podcasts. I haven't explored them much. I binged Serial and My Favorite Murder. My Favorite Murder is definitely my favorite, but between the releases of new episodes I'll listen to True Crime Garage.
I don't mind true crime garage....the captain gets on my nerves sometimes...he talks when he shouldn't and he's kind of rude...and then other times he's redeeming.

anyways,

if you're in to true crime podcasts i can't emphasize enough...

listen to up and vanished. excellent podcast.

listen to "in the dark" ...also excellent

other pcasts that are great:

reveal; criminal; lore; sword and scale; generation why; true crime all the time; the vanished; joe rogan podcast; new yorker radio hour; the nerdist, wtf w/ marc maron; off camera w/ sam jones; sodajerker on songwriting
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #17
Potion09

Potion09 has a spectacular aura aboutPotion09 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Comedy Bang Bang is always my go to. Always. Heynongman.
I don't listen as religiously anymore, but there are a few guests/characters that always get me to listen. Mantzoukus is one of them. There are so many classic episodes that destroy me. My all-time favorite is probably Wipeout with cowboy poet Dalton Wilcox.
Potion09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #18
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

Up and Vanished is great. Crazy turn of events the past few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #19
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
love the episodes with david bazan and rob bell
Cheers, I'll check those out!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #20
shamooth

shamooth has a spectacular aura about

a couple more. bill burr. doug stanhope.
shamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #21
LoadedLikeFreights

LoadedLikeFreights will become famous soon enough

Just started the "Missing Richard Simmons" one, mutiple friends have recommended it recently
LoadedLikeFreights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #22
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedLikeFreights View Post
Just started the "Missing Richard Simmons" one, mutiple friends have recommended it recently
Thanks for reminding me, someone brought that to my attention recently.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #23
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
I don't mind true crime garage....the captain gets on my nerves sometimes...he talks when he shouldn't and he's kind of rude...and then other times he's redeeming.

anyways,

if you're in to true crime podcasts i can't emphasize enough...

listen to up and vanished. excellent podcast.

listen to "in the dark" ...also excellent

other pcasts that are great:

reveal; criminal; lore; sword and scale; generation why; true crime all the time; the vanished; joe rogan podcast; new yorker radio hour; the nerdist, wtf w/ marc maron; off camera w/ sam jones; sodajerker on songwriting
I'll have to check out up and vanished. i've never heard of that one. True crime is definitely my favorite genre for podcasts, but it can get heavy at times. I feel like I need a comedy one thrown in for when listening to stories about people getting murdered becomes too much.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #24
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FavoriteEver View Post
I'll have to check out up and vanished. i've never heard of that one. True crime is definitely my favorite genre for podcasts, but it can get heavy at times. I feel like I need a comedy one thrown in for when listening to stories about people getting murdered becomes too much.
agreed.

i go for the ESPN app and listen to the baseball tonight podcast.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #25
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

chris d'elia's "congratulations" podcast is a gem if you enjoy his humor...having had the chance to meet and party with the dude once...he is a unique individual to say the least.