TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

the highlight of my day (now cricket discussion thread)

Old 02-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #226
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of
Re: the highlight of my day (now cricket discussion thread)

glad to help.

i'll be gone in a month or so to the Caribbean btw. Just got to go buy a load of cricket balls.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #227
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post

i'll be gone in a month or so to the Caribbean btw. Just got to go buy a load of cricket balls.
If you must do that, can you please leave them lying around when Tait is bowling? I want Stuart Clarke to replace him.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:23 PM   #228
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Australia finished 4/336 against NZ in the second game of the series. Hussey (captain) went wild and hit 84 off 105 balls. Kiwis batting shortly.

Much better thank you.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:48 AM   #229
Sydneyfan

Old 02-18-2007, 12:54 AM   #230
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
What happened?

last.fm
foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #231
Sydneyfan

I can't say. Kev might not have seen the game yet. But its bad. Real bad.
And I guess, I just gave it away anyhow.

The World Cup is coming up, we are not looking good for it at the moment.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #232
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
I can't say. Kev might not have seen the game yet. But its bad. Real bad.
And I guess, I just gave it away anyhow.

The World Cup is coming up, we are not looking good for it at the moment.

last.fm
foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:56 AM   #233
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

let's just say this:

Old 02-18-2007, 07:42 AM   #234
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

Kevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to all

I tuned in just as White gave up 16, I never said I wanted him in the side for his bowling
Kevin McF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #235
Sydneyfan

I hope he's right......and I agree with Ian Chappell about the team selection during the Commonwealth Bank series.

Quote:
National bowling coach Troy Cooley believes the struggles of Australia's errant bowlers can be attributed to a general lack of focus, and has vowed to rectify the situation before next month's World Cup.

According to Cooley, Australia's bowlers have been distracted by factors including the contentious World Cup squad announcement, the injury to Brett Lee and early return of Shane Watson, the post-Ashes "comedown" and the forthcoming campaign in the Caribbean.

Combined, those issues have played on the collective minds of Australia's attack, leading to a lack of consistency in the middle and a failure to adapt to certain match situations.

Cooley is not using the argument to excuse the bowlers' sporadic recent form. In fact, the coach stressed the team "should always be ready to play" and "everyone is keen to make sure this doesn't happen again".

Cooley's goal, rather, is to identify the factors that have transformed the bowlers from a unit that rolled both New Zealand and England for sub-200 scores last month into one that conceded the second-highest winning run chase in one-day internationals on Sunday.

"We've got some work to do," said Cooley, currently working at the Centre of Excellence and scheduled to rejoin the national squad prior to its departure to the Caribbean.

"We will definitely be addressing these things with the team when we leave. Maybe it's the wake-up call we needed. This group of bowlers did a great job of hitting the right lines and building pressure in the first half of the one-day series. You don't just lose that skill. We have to get back to what we do right, and find that right balance."

Statistics support the notion that Australia's bowlers have struggled with their lines and lengths in recent weeks. Glenn McGrath (4.77), Nathan Bracken (5.05) and Mitchell Johnson (5.69) have all posted inflated economy rates in the past five matches, compared to their career marks. Shane Watson (6.10) and Shaun Tait (5.44), meanwhile, have also proved expensive since their call-ups to the squad, while spinner Brad Hogg appears to be suffering from a lack of match practice.

It has been a stunning slide since Australia Day, when Australia's attack, which included the now demoted Stuart Clark, dismissed England for 110 at the Adelaide Oval. Just 23 days later, Australia conceded 5-337 in 48.4 overs to the New Zealanders, thus sealing the side's first four-match losing streak since 1997 and surrendering their No.1 one-day ranking for the first time.

Cooley, though, does not believe the situation calls for a radical overhaul of Australia's bowling structure.

"[John Buchanan] has spoken about them not hitting their areas as they were earlier in the season, and I agree with that," Cooley said. "But I think there's a danger sometimes that you can go in search of things that aren't there, and I think we have to be mindful of that. You don't go from being a good side one day to a bad side the next. It's a matter of getting their minds right before the games.

"We've lost a couple of games. You never like losing, but there is a bigger picture. There have been a lot of things happening around the team, with World Cup selections and injuries, and I think they have all played a role. It's also the end of a pretty long season, and there is always that thought of the World Cup.

"There was so much talk about the six fast bowlers battling for five spots to go to the World Cup. These kind of issues can play on a player's mind. I think the sudden injury to Brett hasn't helped things, and there's also been the re-entry of Shane Watson and trying to get him some match practice before the World Cup. There are a lot of factors. It's a combination of things we need to look at."

Former Australian captain Ian Chappell, meanwhile, is adamant Buchanan and national selectors are largely responsible for Australia's recent form trough.

"Thanks to a dangerous mixture of arrogance and stupidity during the Commonwealth Bank series, Australia fiddled rather than found their best combination," Chappell wrote on the Cricinfo website.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/bowl...733685516.html
Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 AM   #236
Sydneyfan

Matty Hayden has a blinder. 181 not out. Highest ODi score ever by an Australian. 8th highest ODI score of all time.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:07 AM   #237
Sydneyfan

Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 AM   #238
Quincy
1up

I'm sorry Syd, I was fully expecting to see an Aussie win when I checked the BBC with Haydens 180, oh well.

Sorry?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:37 AM   #239
Sydneyfan

We need better bowlers. And quickly. They are letting us down badly at the moment.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:40 AM   #240
Quincy
1up

Were Glenda and Binger playing in this series?

Sorry?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:45 AM   #241
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Were Glenda and Binger playing in this series?
McGrath was and he played badly. Lee was injured and didn't play. We need Stuart Clark back for the World Cup. The selectors have stuffed up imo.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:58 AM   #242
Quincy
1up

Quote:
McGrath was and he played badly. Lee was injured and didn't play. We need Stuart Clark back for the World Cup. The selectors have stuffed up imo.

Are they English?

Sorry?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:06 AM   #243
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Are they English?
Damn,that never occurred to me.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #244
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

Kevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to all

another blow to the Aussies, with Haydos's toe , I even saw the ball and thought, well there is the last thing we need no Haydos's, but atleast if he is out White will get his chance
Old 02-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #245
Sydneyfan

His toe is fractured, but I don't know at this stage whether that means he's out of the World Cup or not. I noticed that Tait was erratic and unreliable as usual in that match last night.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #246
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

the only one really holding their own last night was Bracken as usual
Old 02-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #247
Sydneyfan

Bracken played very well. He lost the plot in the very last over, but that was obviously a pressure thing. And he wouldn't have been under that sort of pressure if some of the others had performed better.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:24 AM   #248
Quincy
1up

For Kev, I had no idea about this, but Canada has a record breaking cricketer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6365085.stm

Quote:
England have may have had a resurgence in one-day cricket, but a record-breaking batsmen is gunning for them at the World Cup.

John Davison smashed the fastest World Cup century in South Africa four years ago and will lead Canada's challenge in Group C.

"I'm pretty confident we'll knock off Kenya, then we've got two games and for us to progress we've got to win one of them," said the 36-year-old.

Davison was born in British Columbia but moved to Australia at a very young age and went on to play in the same academy side as Glenn McGrath.

"I reckon if we have a perfect day where four of five guys perform to the best of their ability - and England or New Zealand have a poor day you never know.

"I think one of the minnows will get through - but I'm not going to say which one. I don't think many people have booked the next month off work or anything, but you have to go with the attitude of trying to progress."

Their chances will depend heavily on Davison reproducing the sort of form that saw him blast six sixes in 111 from 76 balls against West Indies at Centurion in 2003 - his century coming off just 67 balls.

"I'd had a bit of a stand-off with the coach regarding the selection of the team for that game, and I was a bit fired up about that," he recalls of the build-up to that match.

"I got padded up and went out of the rooms to sit on my own.

"It was weird, I got into a really good space, determined, but with a clear head, conditions were really good, the West Indians didn't swing the ball - which is always a positive! - the wicket was fantastic and it was altitude so the ball travels further.

"If I was ever going to get a hundred against them it was going to be that day!"

In the wake of his exploits, there were rumours of a switch to English county cricket.

"Bob Woolmer oversaw the associate teams and he tried to sign me up with a county but the team I was talking to had an Aussie coach who had seen me and obviously didn't think I was as good!

"That would have been a nice experience, but the opportunities I've had for Canada, travelling the world playing reasonable cricket against other associate sides, have been great."

Having beaten Bangladesh in their opening match of the last World Cup, Canada lost their remaining five matches, but Davison is confident they can fare better this time.

"I think we're a better balanced team than we were.

"The wicket-keeper, Ashish Bagai, was player of the tournament at the World Cricket League [after two big centuries and a 74] and has really improved, so I'm expecting him to do good things.

"We've got another young guy, who plays his cricket in New Zealand, Geoff Barnett, has been opening the batting in first-class cricket for Central Districts.

"It will be good to have him in the field because we've got a few guys who are getting on a bit."

Fielding is a particular concern as Davison now skippers the side.

"It's a challenge, I find myself putting the bar pretty high and get a bit frustrated when people don't quite reach it, but it's rewarding when things come together and you have a good day," he says of his responsibilities.

"I've always been one who likes to be involved, coming up with ideas, so I always pretended I was captain even when I wasn't!"

Captaincy nowadays is not just deciding on who bowls and fields, there is the extra decision of when to use two five-over segments of powerplays.

"I kept forgetting to take them," he said. "I was talking to the Scottish captain and he was saying it was shrewd to use them in overs 32-37, and I said 'to tell you the truth I forgot about them!'"

Now England have regained confidence ahead of their match against Canada on 18 March by winning the series against Australia and New Zealand.

"I'm a bit disappointed with that, I was hoping they weren't going to win a game and they'd be shot ducks when we came up against them!" Davison quipped.

"Our coach Andy Pick coached Liam Plunkett in the England U-19s and we saw some highlights and he said: 'Plunkett's lost his outswinger', plus Mahmood wasn't bowling well, so we were licking our lips thinking we could get these guys!

"But the last few games Plunkett was swinging them - he can bowl extras but some wicket-taking balls, and wickets are the best way of slowing down the run-rate."

So is the secret of success in the Caribbean to have an argument with Pick before the matches?

"I get on too well with Picky - he's got a very similar philosophy.

"All of the guys have jobs and families and make huge sacrifices to play for Canada."

None more so than Davison, a personal trainer by trade, whose wife and young baby will stay in Sydney while the competition takes place.

"I sacrifice my time and income to go away but it's good fun - a lifestyle decision rather than a monetary one."

Sorry?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #249
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

thats awesome I had no idea
Old 02-21-2007, 07:39 AM   #250
Quincy
1up

Have you found out whether the World Cup is available on any network over there?

Sorry?
Sponsored Links

Tags
australia, australia rocks, australia sux, awesome 1!!1one1!1, best sport, chowder bags are ready to burst!!!, cricket, cricket is super boring, dull as fuck, go away haters, sports, stfu cricket haters, thefed