TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Bob Mould/SUGAR Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute
Bob Mould/SUGAR Thread

I hear Sugar's Copper Blue is getting a vinyl issue. I love love love that record. The Act We Act is a wall of sweetness!

GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bob Mould/SUGAR Thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MejX...eature=related
Old 09-17-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
GoodSkanky

Ok, guys. If you've ever thought about checking out Bob Mould, this is the time.

The show tonight in Detroit was amazing. What blew me away was that he traded off some tried and true standbys for just a straight on sonic blast. I hadn't seen Jon Wurster live, but he's great. The Husker tunes don't feel like museum pieces, nor the band look like their covering someone else's tunes. Very little stage banter. It rocked my face off. Cymbals Eat Guitars opened and was pretty cool. I picked up their new one. Anyway here's the tunes Bob did (not in order):

In A Free Land (from that 7")

from New Day Rising
I Apologize

from Flip Your Wig

Flip Your Wig
Makes No Sense At All
Hate Paper Doll
Divide And Conquer

Love Is All Around (from the Makes No Sense At All 7")

from Candy Apple Grey
Hardly Getting Over It

from Warehouse
Up In The Air

from Copper Blue

Changes
Hoover Dam
If I Can't Change Your Mind

from Beaster
Come Around (if he'd followed this up with Tilted, I would have shit my pants!)

from Silver Age
Star Machine
The Descent

from Beauty & Ruin
Little Glass Pill
I Don't Know You Anymore
Kid With Crooked Face
Nemeses Are Laughing
The War
Hey Mr. Grey
Tomorrow Morning
Fix It (not the RA tune... actually, I can't remember if this was in the set, but I think so.)

I've seen Bob frequently since the late 80s and this was one of my favorite sets, even if many of my favorites were left out.

ALSO, when the stereo came on after the opener, RA's Trouble played in the club.... nice!

Last edited by GoodSkanky; 09-29-2014 at 01:32 PM..
Old 11-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
LP-Friend

LP-Friend has a spectacular aura about

Saw him yesterday, tiiiiiny venue. Man, that guy has an energy, and a SOUND! Rushing from one song to the other. Really amazing. Still seems to really love what he's doing. I loved the background vocal harmony of Bob and the bassist. Really catchy, powerful stuff. Haven't known him for long (born too late...), but it was amazing. Tour manager (super nice guy) organized for me that Bob signed my Ryan Black Sheet / Heartbreak 7" (manager guy looked at it and asked "A Ryan Adams record? Why that?" - pretty funny) and later Bob came out and hung out with some fans who were left. Really nice and humble guy.
Setlist was comparable to the one above.

Flip Your Wig
Hate Paper Doll
Hoover Dam
Star Machine
The Descent
I Don't Know You Anymore
Little Glass Pill
Kid With Crooked Face
Nemeses Are Laughing
The War
Hardly Getting Over It
Helpless
Keep Believing
Fire in the City
Hey Mr. Grey
Come Around
Tomorrow Morning
Something I Learned Today
In A Free Land
--------------------------
Makes No Sense at All
Love Is All Around
Chartered Trips

It was really sweet to see an audience that diverse as it stemmed from every "era". I definitely lowered the mean age.
LP-Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP-Friend View Post
Saw him yesterday, tiiiiiny venue. Man, that guy has an energy, and a SOUND! Rushing from one song to the other. Really amazing. Still seems to really love what he's doing. I loved the background vocal harmony of Bob and the bassist. Really catchy, powerful stuff. Haven't known him for long (born too late...), but it was amazing. Tour manager (super nice guy) organized for me that Bob signed my Ryan Black Sheet / Heartbreak 7" (manager guy looked at it and asked "A Ryan Adams record? Why that?" - pretty funny) and later Bob came out and hung out with some fans who were left. Really nice and humble guy.
Setlist was comparable to the one above.

Flip Your Wig
Hate Paper Doll
Hoover Dam
Star Machine
The Descent
I Don't Know You Anymore
Little Glass Pill
Kid With Crooked Face
Nemeses Are Laughing
The War
Hardly Getting Over It
Helpless
Keep Believing
Fire in the City
Hey Mr. Grey
Come Around
Tomorrow Morning
Something I Learned Today
In A Free Land
Makes No Sense at All
Love Is All Around
Chartered Trips

It was really sweet to see an audience that diverse as it stemmed from every "era". I definitely lowered the mean age.
NICE!!! Damn, he was good this time. You guys got Chartered Trips, which is great.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
GoodSkanky

http://tymguitars.com.au/blogs/blog/...e-pedal-part-1

Fuck yeah... Bob Mould signature guitar pedal!!!! want....
Old 11-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
LP-Friend

LP-Friend has a spectacular aura about

WOW! That's impressive! And just as humble and modest as I got to know him - reacting that way to a gift of a fan. Really nice!

Did you get the RSD-BlackFriday Warehouse-Reissue? Is it nice? (colored vinyl I guess)... I wanted to check out whether I still can catch one up in some store nearby.
LP-Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
GoodSkanky

I know... sweet!

I didn't get out to the store. I just joined a band with the guy that owns the local record shop... I was too clueless to ask him to hook me up! I'll have to check. Ms. Skanky made fun of me for wanting to own Warehouse....AGAIN! Whatever.... it looks great!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i read about that pedal and now i want a St Paul pedal SOOOOOOOO BAAAAAAAAAD

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
GoodSkanky

They're like $250, which seems high for a distortion pedal (at least one that doesn't have 20 knobs on it). Still... very tempting.

I'm looking for a good, but portable bass cab and eying these hand made amp heads made in my city. I'm gonna keep an eye out for these though.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #11
GoodSkanky

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/0...tterman-watch/

HE RULES!
Old 02-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #12
GoodSkanky

I did score a copy of the Warehouse reissue. Nice wax on it... would have liked some more to the packing... gatefold, new notes, etc.

Just watched the Grant Hart documentary. Very good.
Sponsored Links

Tags
bob mould, husker du, sugar