TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Smashing Pumpkins Reissues

Old 11-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #26
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins Reissues

Tim, are you a little upset by the choices they made for the bonus verions? I have about everything and I really wish the other versions of smiley and blue had been released..

I am happy with the few tracks unknown to me thouh. I think because you said they will be doing PI I now can't really own and sequence these tracks. PI might be my favorite SP album, or b-side album. At least it has songs that hit me at a time I needed them.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #27
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

By other versions, do you mean the EP versions?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #28
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy with them. While its nice to compile B-sides, I like that the tracks are unreleased or an alternate versions. My only grip is that there are so many Pisces tracks here. Did he not have enough of other tracks to take their place and then save the Pisces tracks for that reissue?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #29
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I would assume that Jack means the Peel Sessions version of Smiley and Blue from the Rhinoceros EP (although that one's on PI anyway).

Having not heard this, how different are the 2011 mixes of the PI tunes? Because yeah, there's five on the Gish reissue, so that's quite a bit of redundant filler if they're not much different.

There are a few hard to get songs that they could have put on the Gish reissue instead of new mixes of PI songs, for example:
I Am One (original 7" version)
Not Worth Asking (b-side of I Am One 7")
Terrapin (b-side of the I Am One 10") - although this is a pretty shit song
Bullet Train To Osaka (b-side of the I Am One 10") - a bit weird, but interesting
Bye June (from the Rhinoceros EP)
Slunk (from the Rhinoceros EP)
Glynis (from the No Alternative compilation) - this is a huge oversight for me, good tune

Also, are Siamese Dream (the song) and Apathy's Last Kiss any different to the previously released versions?

It would have been nice if they had put the following on the Siamese Dream one, but I'm not as fussed about that because there's not the filler that the Gish one has:
Purr Snickety
Dancing In The Moonlight

I'm going to check out the store today to see if they have these yet (it's weird because they had the vinyls when I was there on Saturday, even though it was before release date, but they didn't have the CDs). Probably because the CDs will have a local release so the distributor won't send them out until just before release date, but the vinyls they get internationally so just put them out when they get here.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #30
minusthesnake

minusthesnake is an unknown quantity at this point

I also think it's a bit odd he included "Girl Named Sandoz", as it's identical to the version that will end up on the Pisces reissue. The 2011 KB Mixes seem unnecessary as they're almost identical to what will be on Piesces, but I can at least see the arguement for their inclusion. I hope the PI bonus disc has the known versions of all other unreleased b-sides from this era (Slunk, Bye June, Glynis, Smiley [Peel Sessions Version], French Movie Theme, Purr Snickety, Apathy's Last Kiss, Siamese Dream, Dancing In The Moonlight and Hope), as well as some more alternate versions/demos/curiosities. It would be frustrating to me if Billy released remasters of most, but not all, of the Pumpkins' output.

Isn't the Limited Potential version of "I Am One" just the Real Time Demo? If so, it's already on the Gish bonus disc. It claims to be a 2011 Mix, but I don't notice any difference in it.

I assume "Not Worth Asking" and "Honey Spider II" will be included with Pisces, since they were originally part of the vinyl version of the album... but who knows?

For whoever asked about "Apathy's Last Kiss" and "Siamese Dream", they're different versions on the Siamese Dream bonus disc. "Apathy's Last Kiss" is a different mix of the same recording with another guitar part that was removed from the final mix. "Siamese Dream" is a demo version that's slower, not as hard and like 4 minutes longer than the original version.

Has anyone been able to figure out where on their website you enter the code that came with the CDs for the free download they promised? It's driving me CRAZY!!!
minusthesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #31
Tim Simmons

Word is, there is no bonus disc. Just a new master for CD and a new master for vinyl.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #32
Tim Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by minusthesnake View Post

Has anyone been able to figure out where on their website you enter the code that came with the CDs for the free download they promised? It's driving me CRAZY!!!
I don't think its up yet.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #33
Tim Simmons

A remastering of the released odds and sods would be nice. Maybe a compilation later in the series.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #34
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by minusthesnake View Post
It would be frustrating to me if Billy released remasters of most, but not all, of the Pumpkins' output.
This.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #35
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I've been listening to Pumpkins b-sides all day. I really do love this band a lot.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #36
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
This.
Does a remastered version of French Movie Theme really matter that much?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #37
lukin
I'm talking ace

I'm really interested to see what's going to be on the MCIS one - they had 28 other tracks which were used in the Aeroplane Flies High set, so I wouldn't think that there would be a heap of unreleased songs (although who knows, maybe there are).

I used to have a CD of acoustic MCIS demos that Billy had done, they were pretty good - I'm thinking it might have stuff like that on it.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #38
Tim Simmons

I'm sure we'll see alot of that demo CD on there. I'd like to see the couple songs that never surfaced in any form (other than the AUD) pop up on this release. Towers of Rabble especially.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #39
Tim Simmons

I need to see Viewphoria again. I never bought the DVD.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #40
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I need to see Viewphoria again. I never bought the DVD.
The DVD has some good bonus stuff.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #41
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Does a remastered version of French Movie Theme really matter that much?
Hahahahaha, no.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #42
JackStark211

I always wished MCIS had been some epic 3 disc album. I have been I also thworking on the perfect sequence for the AFH disc for years and it is always changing. CLearly it can't all fit.

I've posed the question before: how would you track a single disc from AFH?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #43
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I always wished MCIS had been some epic 3 disc album. I have been I also thworking on the perfect sequence for the AFH disc for years and it is always changing. CLearly it can't all fit.

I've posed the question before: how would you track a single disc from AFH?
Ok, give me a minute.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #44
lukin
I'm talking ace

Well, first of all, I wouldn't include the first track from any of the discs, so that brings it down to 28 songs. Pastichio Medley is obviously the first to go, so then from 27 songs I reckon I need to get it down to 14 so I've got to trim out another 13.

Since there are six cover songs in the set, I can't have them all so I'll take out:
Clones (We're All)
Destination Unknown

Then the other ones that I'll omit are:
Ugly
Meladori Magpie
Rotten Apples
Medellia of the Gray Skies
Blank
Tonite Reprise
God
Mouths Of Babes
Tribute To Johnny
Transformer
The Bells

Then I would sequence the remaining 14 songs as below (comes in at 54 minutes):
1. Cherry
2. The Aeroplane Flies High (Turns Left, Looks Right)
3. The Boy
4. Pennies
5. Dreaming
6. Set The Ray To Jerry
7. ...Said Sadly
8. You're All I've Got Tonight
9. A Night Like This
10. Jupiter's Lament
11. Believe
12. Marquis In Spades
13. My Blue Heaven
14. The Last Song
Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #45
Tim Simmons

I think the Tonight Reprise is a great way to close it out. And I'd dump Said Sadly.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #46
JackStark211

I like that list. I woul probably dump all the covers though, even though I love them.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #47
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I think the Tonight Reprise is a great way to close it out. And I'd dump Said Sadly.
Yeah, that would work well. I did think of doing that, but I think its place is at the end of the MCIS vinyl. I know The Last Song is a really predictable choice and maybe a bit cheesy, but oh well.

Said Sadly probably is the first I would dump from that list too.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #48
Tim Simmons

I'm not a fan of the James songs.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #49
BigNosedDago
The Golden Jew

BigNosedDago is a jewel in the roughBigNosedDago is a jewel in the rough

I am not a fan of the change of the album art on the vinyls, haven't listened to the vinyl itself yet though. Siamese Dream weighs an f'n ton.
BigNosedDago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #50
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNosedDago View Post
I am not a fan of the change of the album art on the vinyls, haven't listened to the vinyl itself yet though. Siamese Dream weighs an f'n ton.
Me neither. The artwork is crap.
Sponsored Links

Tags
alternative rock, chowder bags are ready to burst!!!, the smashing pumpkins