TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Patty Griffin Appreciation Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
The Patty Griffin Appreciation Thread

So, I love her and think she is one of the best contemporary singer/songwriters currently around. I've been lucky enough to see her in concert twice and she is also a wonderful live performer.
Any other fans on TBY?
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold
Re: The Patty Griffin Appreciation Thread

I've never seen her live but would like to. I think Rowing Song is my favorite song of hers (that I've heard)
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

I really like everything of hers that I've heard. Children Running Through was one of my fav albums from last year.
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

I keep changing my mind about which of her albums I like the best. At the moment I think it's 1000 Kisses. Making Pies, Long Black Limousine and Nobody's Crying are pretty much perfect songs.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Amanda
l o v e r

Amanda has a spectacular aura aboutAmanda has a spectacular aura about

It's been a while since I've checked in, but this thread caught my eye! I love Patty Griffin. Rain and Useless Desires are two of my favorite songs...among many. I have never seen her live, though. One day!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

I love love love Patty. She's easily my favorite female singer and songwriter, and 2nd only to RA overall. It's going to be a tough call for me between seeing the 3 Girls & Their Buddy tour in February or the Cardinals in Montclair, NJ that night... Just came across this video of Patty, EmmyLou Harris, Shawn Colvin, and Buddy Miller performing "Mary," which happens to be the Patty song I'm most recently addicted to:

and here's Patty covering Springsteen's "Stolen Car" (which I didn't realize until just now was his song - whoops). It's cut, but the clip was too gorgeous not to post:

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

That was just beautiful, thanks for posting. So much talent on that stage.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

I know Syd... seeing that video, and that particular song, made me feel a lean towards that show over the cardinals. I'm watching patty and emmylou performing Trapeze at the Ryman right now...

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
Old 01-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cienega View Post
I know Syd... seeing that video, and that particular song, made me feel a lean towards that show over the cardinals. I'm watching patty and emmylou performing Trapeze at the Ryman right now...
If it were up to me, I'd be going to see Patty and emmylou....especially if RA is going to do a Cardinology heavy set.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #10
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

And another clip....No Bad News. I saw her and her guitarist and a percussionist perform this in Sydney last year and I swear I have never seen or heard so much power and energy coming from just three people.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
La Cienega
la la la la la

I can't explain why, but this line always hits me so so hard:

some guy broke her heart, and how her heart it did ache
so she went to the tent of the lady of the snakes
who gave her a potion and she drank it in
after that, her heart never ached again

It has something to do with my own heartache, and that desire to never feel it again, but I get the feeling that potion means she can never love again either, and that's why her heart will never ache again, so then it feels even more heartbreaking...

last.fm
Old 01-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #12
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I can't explain why, but this line always hits me so so hard:

some guy broke her heart, and how her heart it did ache
so she went to the tent of the lady of the snakes
who gave her a potion and she drank it in

It has something to do with my own heartache, and that desire to never feel it again, but I get the feeling that potion means she can never love again either, and that's why her heart will never ache again, so then it feels even more heartbreaking...
Yep, that's the way I read those lyrics as well....she is only cured because she can never love again even if she wanted to. Patty is such a fantastic storyteller as well.....I love how she creates characters and then gives us a glimpse inside their world. For instance, the aging and lonely Italian lady in Making Pies that's still clinging to her lost love after decades and gets through her day on memories and living through other people....

"You could cry or die or just make pies all day. I'm making pies."
Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
La Cienega
la la la la la

I think patty's storytelling ability is what really makes her stand out as a songwriter. No one else I listen to crafts characters the way she does, or takes them on and makes them believable in a song like she does. I don't even blink when she's singing as an old man or pie-maker or whatever. Ryan doesn't do this much, but In My Time of Need is easily his strongest example. Patty's so versatile too. My favorite songs range from Rain (first song I ever heard) to Tony, Mary, Nobody's Crying, Crying Over, it's stupid for me to start listing favorites so I'm going to stop now.

Syd - I assume you have Silver Bell? if not, let me know! I'm listening to it right now

last.fm
Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #14
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I think patty's storytelling ability is what really makes her stand out as a songwriter. No one else I listen to crafts characters the way she does, or takes them on and makes them believable in a song like she does. I don't even blink when she's singing as an old man or pie-maker or whatever. Ryan doesn't do this much, but In My Time of Need is easily his strongest example. Patty's so versatile too. My favorite songs range from Rain (first song I ever heard) to Tony, Mary, Nobody's Crying, Crying Over, it's stupid for me to start listing favorites so I'm going to stop now.

Syd - I assume you have Silver Bell? if not, let me know! I'm listening to it right now
I do thanks la. I think it was Steve Earle who said he thought the idea of her covering Stolen Car was terrible - until her heard her version. Btw, the new Emmy Lou Harris album has a song written by Patty called The Moon Song which is just sensational. I would send you a PM but I'm having computer probs and can't share the love at the moment.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
La Cienega
la la la la la

I'd love to hear it if you can share the love later. otherwise I may pick up that album anyways if I go to the show next month.

last.fm
Old 01-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I love love love Patty. She's easily my favorite female singer and songwriter, and 2nd only to RA overall. It's going to be a tough call for me between seeing the 3 Girls & Their Buddy tour in February or the Cardinals in Montclair, NJ that night..
3 girls + Buddy. Definitely. Not even a contest. That's my vote, anyway.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #17
La Cienega
la la la la la

parts of this fan-made video are really well done, though a few of the images were too 'obvious' to me... but I really enjoyed all the antique photographs she used.

last.fm
Old 01-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #18
La Cienega
la la la la la

this boy should've put a shirt on and skipped the lenghty intro... it's like a bad american idol audition...

last.fm
Old 01-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #19
La Cienega
la la la la la

patty is so cute on stage.... and this song is just amazing:

last.fm
Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #20
the virginian
tby intelligentsia

the virginian has a spectacular aura aboutthe virginian has a spectacular aura about

I would go for Emmylou, Patty and Buddy. I saw them with Gillian Welch a couple of years ago and it was brilliant. I'm an insane Emmylou fan but I have all of Patty's stuff and love it as well. (It's funny but I had everything except Living with Ghosts and I found it used for $2 last week.) I have to admit that she can depress me more than any other singer/songwriter, which I think points to how good she is.

I can share the love with anyone if they'll just explain how to do it. The song and the whole CD is great.
the virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #21
La Cienega
la la la la la

my dad's always said that emmylou harris is the only woman he'd leave my mother for

last.fm
Old 01-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #22
the virginian
tby intelligentsia

the virginian has a spectacular aura aboutthe virginian has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
my dad's always said that emmylou harris is the only woman he'd leave my mother for

Your dad has excellent taste but I think she's been married about 4 times so he should probably just stick with your mother.
the virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #23
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

I hadn't seen this before...Patty singing The Moon Song, which Emmylou Harris covers on her latest album. Gorgeous song, but don't listen to it if you are feeling a little down. It won't help.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #24
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

One more.....Patty covering Springsteen's Racing In The Street - and doing a great job.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #25
littleamen

Love those. Thanks, Syd.
Sponsored Links