TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > 2018 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Jeff Tweedy "Warm" 11.30

Old 12-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 will become famous soon enough
Jeff Tweedy "Warm" 11.30

Just gave this a listen the other day. Giving it another listen now. A very somber, sleepy album. A good album when you are feeling down or a dreary day. Read that he's been wrestling with a lot of life's big questions. Think this album captures those feelings.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all
Re: Jeff Tweedy "Warm" 11.30

sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:07 AM   #3
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

Indeed a tad sleepy and introspective. A bit underwhelmed by it, but I suppose it is a grower.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Not bad... not great either.
GoodSkanky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Like every Wilco album from the pst 10 years, it’s half good. Half forgettable.
Tim Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Like every Wilco album from the pst 10 years, it’s half good. Half forgettable.
Agreed. Which is too bad. They were my #1 favorite for many years.
GoodSkanky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:04 AM   #7
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

It definitely sounds better with headphones on. I agree that both Wilco the album and A Whole Love were Wilco’s Easy Tiger, but the last two were quite good.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

he did a bunch of podcasts, WTF and All Songs Considered were two I listened to.

Nothing super new, he’s been fairly transparent about most of these topics (addiction, suicide, wife’s cancer bout) over the past couple years but i think the book will be interesting, especially for the more invested Wilco followers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I was most interested in the UT ears and his relationship with Jay now. He was so evasive for years. I thought there may have been a thawing (and that seems to have been the case) around the time of the UT reissues a few years back.
Tim Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:07 AM   #10
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, not sure how much he covers that in the book but he mentioned they talk, categorizing it mostly as business.

Maron got pretty deep into the roots including UT. My take away was that Tweedy always wanted it to be something unique and special rather than just quickly cashing in on the perceived early success and sound of UT.

I probably haven’t read enough to understand the entire saga but the pods were a good listen.

andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
Shadowlands96

Shadowlands96 is on a distinguished road

I feel like if I were to cobble together the best tracks from Star Wars, Schmilco, Tweedy, and Warm, the songs would make a great album. The problem is that's one good album from four albums' worth of material. I realize, though, it's subjective. I know some people probably adore those albums.

Wilco remains one of my favorite bands--and I think they're still dynamite live--but it's been quite a while since I was bowled over by an entire album.
Shadowlands96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
wheelhousetunes

wheelhousetunes will become famous soon enough

I revisited A Ghost Is Born not that long ago and realize I overlooked it a bit. At the time it was a disappointment to me, but compared to everything since it's really good. Sky Blue Sky is the other one from the post Bennett years I like.
wheelhousetunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #13
Shadowlands96

I love A Ghost Is Born, and I really enjoy a lot of Sky Blue Sky.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #14
The Black Map
Parallel Lines

The Black Map will become famous soon enough

I actually think The Whole Love is their strongest album since Sky Blue Sky. The rest are meh.
The Black Map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #15
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I’ve kind of given up on the idea of another great Wilco album, and I’m kind of ok with that (I love everything up to and including Sky Blue Sky). There’s stuff on the last 4 albums that I dig so can still enjoy them.

What does disappoint me though is that they haven’t been down to New Zealand since 2013 (Whole Love tour). They came here for 3 albums in a row then just stopped. I’d love to see them live again.

lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #16
Shadowlands96

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Map View Post
I actually think The Whole Love is their strongest album since Sky Blue Sky. The rest are meh.
There are enough songs on that record I really dig that I'd say I like it overall too.
Sponsored Links