TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion > Tour Discussion > Archive > 2008
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Alpharetta, GA (October 17, 2008)

Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Alpharetta, GA (October 17, 2008)

Setlist

Updated setlist

1. Born into the Light
2. Cobwebs
3. Peaceful Valley
---Ryan talks about problems with his voice
4. Goodnight Rose
5. Bartering Lines (fantastic version)
6. Everybody Knows
7. Wonderwall (Oasis) - unreal guitar solo indescribable (IT REALLY WAS. EVERYONE WENT CRAZY DURING IT. MINDBLOWING GREATNESS.)
8. Fix It
9. Off Broadway
--Ryan talks about problems with his voice again. says he sounds like the lead singer of the Goo Goo Dolls. (he sounded amazing to me)
10. Sun Also Sets
11. Come Pick Me Up
----Ryan says he's sick and having problems. says Neal will sing a couple songs. It seemed like Neal would do a couple so Ryan could rest his voice, and then start again.
12. Grand Island (Neal Casal)
13. Shakedown on 9th Street
---Concert stops. Inaudible. Ryan then says he's really sorry. The Cards take off their gear, put one hand up palm out, to say thank you. The Cards walked one way off the stage, Ryan off the other side.

courtesy of HOBBES

Stream MP3s
Download MP3s

Last edited by Rob; 11-19-2008 at 05:44 PM..
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold
Re: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Alpharetta, GA (October 17, 2006)

Apparently, this ended after 1 hour
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

from RAA:

On... about 8:30 EST

1. Born Into A Light
2. Cobwebs
3. Peaceful Valley
4. Goodnight Rose
5. Bartering Lines
6. Everybody Knows
7. Wonderwall (Oasis) - unreal... guitar solo indescribable
8. Fix It
9. Off Broadway
10. Sun Also Sets
11. Come Pick Me Up

"RA says his throat hurts and he can't sing anymore"

"Ryan "lost his voice" one hour in after shakedown. Show OVER."

I feel really bad for everyone there, and I'm sure ryan and the band feel like shit about it too

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Oh man.. that sucks.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
sipowicz
When We Looked Like Giants

sipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to all

wow, that sucks.
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
Sawyer

Sawyer has a spectacular aura about

hey guys. I flew in to meet some friends and we ended up getting some great tickets last minute. I got some pics and vids, but it was on a crappy digital camera that didn't have a lot of free space on it.

THE CARDS WERE FUCKING MIND-BLOWING. The concert was great until it halted because of Ryan starting to lose his voice and being too sick.

UPDATED THE TRACK LIST.

1. Born into the Light
2. Cobwebs
3. Peaceful Valley
4. Goodnight Rose
5. Bartering Lines (fantastic version)
6. Everybody Knows
7. Wonderwall (Oasis) - unreal guitar solo indescribable (IT REALLY WAS. EVERYONE WENT CRAZY DURING IT. MINDBLOWING GREATNESS.)
8. Fix It
9. Off Broadway
--Ryan talks about problems with his voice. he sounded amazing to me.
10. Sun Also Sets
11. Come Pick Me Up
----Ryan says he's sick and having problems. says Neal will sing a couple songs. It seemed like Neal would do a couple so Ryan could rest his voice, and then start again.
---Concert stops. Inaudible. Ryan then says he's really sorry. The Cards take off their gear, put one hand up palm out, to say thank you. The Cards walked one way off the stage, Ryan off the other side.

Everyone was shocked and disappointed. Some thought it was a gag because they didn't bring up the house lights. Then they did, which lead to a chorus of boos unfortunately. As we left there were louder boos coming from inside the venues from some, and everyone outside the venue thought it was a gag and started to go back, but realized it was really over.

I'm disappointed, because it was going so AMAZINGLY. I couldn't hear any problems with his voice though at all, so I don't really know. It was really cold, so that might have made matters worse. He looked to be fighting through trying to give the best performance he could. But I appreciate that Ryan gave his best effort. Neal helped him along at times.

Overall...despite the concert stopping it was really fantastic.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

That's a real shame Hobbes. Thanks very much for the report and setlist and I'm glad you enjoyed the show anyhow.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
Sawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
That's a real shame Hobbes. Thanks very much for the report and setlist and I'm glad you enjoyed the show anyhow.
yeah it was great. Everybody Knows was CRAZY as well. Ryan blurred the words together so at times it all ran at once.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #9
Sawyer

Some pics from the concert on the crappy camera i borrowed, since i didn't have mine. it didn't take still shots well and had to resort to taking some from the screens.

walking back toward my seat after talking a full stage shot from the back earlier.

And some vids. Again, went back from my seat and had to shoot from the screen. crappy camera only allowed me to get clips...but i thought i'd share. you can actually hear ryan's voice crack in everyone knows. i guess that's when it started. and the sound system there was stellar, and the bass blows your heart out of your chest.

Wonderwall
http://rapidshare.com/files/155082160/DSCN2029.MOV.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/155083329/DSCN2030.MOV.html

Bartering Lines
http://rapidshare.com/files/155084217/DSCN2024.MOV.html

last one for now... Everybody Knows
http://rapidshare.com/files/155086073/DSCN2027.MOV.html
Old 10-17-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
Sunny44

Sunny44 is just really niceSunny44 is just really nice

Thanks for the pictures and videos!
Sunny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:02 AM   #11
Sawyer

^thanks. wish i brought my camera though, but hope this will suffice till someone gets better video or the full audio.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:51 AM   #12
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Calls from angry fans demanding refunds on other boards. Not sure you can get a refund after someone plays for any hour...even though it might be fair to do so. Thoughts anyone?
Old 10-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #13
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

Quote:
Calls from angry fans demanding refunds on other boards. Not sure you can get a refund after someone plays for any hour...even though it might be fair to do so. Thoughts anyone?
Nah I dont think so. Weren't the Blue Cave shows last year only an hour and 20 mins long? As much as it may suck, the band played 13 songs so I dont think they should get a refund. Even if it is the 'right' thing to do
Old 10-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #14
bruit
Yo Fat Chow

bruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to behold

I think they should issue a refund. That'd shut everyone up. Ryan can certanly afford it... He could write it off as a business loss...though I doubt he'd have to- as his label should cover it.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
Sawyer

Quote:
I don't want a refund. I would like him to make up the show though in fairness to everyone. I understand why people were pissed off, especially those that drove hours and made arrangements because they really wanted to see him. They paid the ticket costs, gas, some did overnight stays, food, merch, etc...especially in this economy....and then it was only an 1hr and 10 minute show, when it was suppose to be longer.

Be that as it may it was an INCREDIBLE and BRILLIANT hour and 10 minutes....but if he really wasn't feeling well, he should've postponed the concert, gone to Charlotte to do that concert, and come back in a week or so to play a make-up date when he was feeling better....or said he was sorry and would make it up to everyone and would be back at some point and for everyone to hold onto their tickets.

Ryan did his best though. At one point Ryan looked pissed for a moment, and maybe at that time knew he was going to have problems with his voice and have to cut the show short. Honestly though when he started talking about his voice, everyone was like "what are you talking about" because everyone thought he sounded great. Even as one person said before, when Ryan was talking to Brad, even Brad thought he sounded great. The weather that night was quite cold and damp, if he was sick, maybe it didn't help the situation, and I wouldn't want him to blow out his voice or make his situation worse, but I agree...the way things ended wasn't good. I could tell Neal, Brad, and the rest of the Cards were even disappointed too.

A promoter or someone should've come out and said a few words, even though I sure people would have still been disappointed, it wouldn't have left a sour taste in peoples mouths. Because when Ryan went off the stage one way, the Cards another....there was confusion and everything was still going. Falling Down by Oasis was playing. Some thought it was a joke, I thought it was maybe a brief intermission, to see if Ryan could continue, but realized it wasn't gonna happen...then the house lights came up...and that's when everyone started to go.

People are talking about how it wasn't the right venue, Ryan wasn't into it, and decided to bail and used that as an excuse, etc....I don't think that was ever the case at all, and hope in any small part that it wasn't....because he really was trying to give fans a great show.

I'll go see him again, wherever whenever, but because this show was going so great and ended short, I would like a make-up at least.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #16
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBE5 View Post
I don't want a refund. I would like him to make up the show though in fairness to everyone. I understand why people were pissed off, especially those that drove hours and made arrangements because they really wanted to see him. They paid the ticket costs, gas, some did overnight stays, food, merch, etc...especially in this economy....and then it was only an 1hr and 10 minute show, when it was suppose to be longer.

Be that as it may it was an INCREDIBLE and BRILLIANT hour and 10 minutes....but if he really wasn't feeling well, he should've postponed the concert, gone to Charlotte to do that concert, and come back in a week or so to play a make-up date when he was feeling better....or said he was sorry and would make it up to everyone and would be back at some point and for everyone to hold onto their tickets.

Ryan did his best though. At one point Ryan looked pissed for a moment, and maybe at that time knew he was going to have problems with his voice and have to cut the show short. Honestly though when he started talking about his voice, everyone was like "what are you talking about" because everyone thought he sounded great. Even as one person said before, when Ryan was talking to Brad, even Brad thought he sounded great. The weather that night was quite cold and damp, if he was sick, maybe it didn't help the situation, and I wouldn't want him to blow out his voice or make his situation worse, but I agree...the way things ended wasn't good. I could tell Neal, Brad, and the rest of the Cards were even disappointed too.

A promoter or someone should've come out and said a few words, even though I sure people would have still been disappointed, it wouldn't have left a sour taste in peoples mouths. Because when Ryan went off the stage one way, the Cards another....there was confusion and everything was still going. Falling Down by Oasis was playing. Some thought it was a joke, I thought it was maybe a brief intermission, to see if Ryan could continue, but realized it wasn't gonna happen...then the house lights came up...and that's when everyone started to go.

People are talking about how it wasn't the right venue, Ryan wasn't into it, and decided to bail and used that as an excuse, etc....I don't think that was ever the case at all, and hope in any small part that it wasn't....because he really was trying to give fans a great show.

I'll go see him again, wherever whenever, but because this show was going so great and ended short, I would like a make-up at least.
I agree Hobbes
Old 10-18-2008, 01:16 AM   #17
Sunny44

If the hour was good, as several people seem to be saying it was, I would say, chalk it up. People paid a lot of money to see the band play for an hour when opening for Oasis and sure, they did that knowing it would only be an hour set but still. I imagine Ryan is
if anything more upset by all this than anyone else. Someone on one of the other boards I occasionally read/lurk at, said the band should've had Neal sing the rest of the songs, or Brad or....I can't see how that would be better. Nor do I see how Ryan trying to sing when he's forcing it, risking real damage, is good either. No good outcome. Sometimes life sucks. I guess I think an hour of a good show might be enough to cut the band some slack.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:48 AM   #18
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny44 View Post
If the hour was good, as several people seem to be saying it was, I would say, chalk it up. People paid a lot of money to see the band play for an hour when opening for Oasis and sure, they did that knowing it would only be an hour set but still. I imagine Ryan is
if anything more upset by all this than anyone else. Someone on one of the other boards I occasionally read/lurk at, said the band should've had Neal sing the rest of the songs, or Brad or....I can't see how that would be better. Nor do I see how Ryan trying to sing when he's forcing it, risking real damage, is good either. No good outcome. Sometimes life sucks. I guess I think an hour of a good show might be enough to cut the band some slack.
Yep, I can see what you're saying. I wasn't there tonight, so I suppose I can understand why some fans feel cheated and I can also see that if Ryan's voice really did go, there wasn't much he could do about it. Hopefully they will play a makeup show in Atlanta sometime soon.

Meanwhile, another unhappy punter:

Quote:
Most of the people weren't talking about how good he was and no not just one-third of the crowd was booing. Most people thought it was a joke or that he was going to come back out. Then when the crew started tearing down the stage the people that were still clinging to hope began to boo, and rightfully so. They weren't being immature they were being honest about how they felt about the situation. If you as a consumer pay $50 for something that generally lasts 20-25 songs or more and then you get considerably less then that you deserve to be able to boo. Paying $50 for that performance was crap. I feel cheated.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:54 AM   #19
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

And another one......

Quote:
I am at the hotel now... it sucks that the show was cut short. I'll tell you straight up (I was in the front row) that the band was NOT HAPPY when Ryan ended the show. A few songs in, I saw Ryan apologize to Brad about his voice and Brad responded "you sound good, man". Then, when he finally left the stage, the looks on their faces showed nothing but disappointment. Brad threw his sticks down and Neal seemed to be trying to convince Ryan to stay.

Maybe Ryan wasn't feeling well... and I understand that, but I feel like he could have done a little more for the fans there to see him.

I fucking love the guy and basically eat up everything he does, but tonight I was really disappointed. He claims to be "a part of the Cardinals" but the REST OF THE BAND seemed to want to stay on the stage and play.

Maybe I am just bitter because I drove 4 hours to see this show and it was the first time I have been front row for anything, but I feel short changed.

I loved the show that I saw but it was definitely not (IMO) what I paid for.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:01 AM   #20
Sunny44

The Alabama show from the 16th is up on LMA, and I've been listening to it. It's very good, but there are definitely moments when I can hear Ryan singing a little differently, trying to work around whatever was/is going on with his voice, and some definite straining. He sounded a little more like that on that radio show earlier, too. So, maybe he should've known he couldn't get through tonight but maybe he thought that he'd made it through so far, and didn't want to disappoint people by canceling. Shit happens, it's hard on everyone. I feel sorry for everybody. Hope Ryan feels better, too.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #21
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

I don't think they should issue refunds. They sound genuinely upset by what happened and Brad's apology hinted that they would be making it up to the fans in Atlanta. I know everyone is disappointed and I would be too if I'd gone. But you just have to realize that they did their best. On the radio interview before the show Ryan's voice was starting to go, he even mentioned it before playing 'Everybody Knows'. After postponing Tulsa and KC I'm sure they didn't want to have to cancel an hour before the show. You can tell from Brad's post that they feel terrible about it and you just have to hope they'll make it up to the disappointed fans somehow. If not, yeah, chalk it up and suck it up.
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #22
sipowicz
When We Looked Like Giants

sipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to all

He played an hour. I would be pissed too, they have a right to be mad and pissed, but he showed up, and tried.

That is what I think at least...
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #23
bruit
Yo Fat Chow

bruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to behold

I'm betting $5 he is going to offer a refund for this show.

He has nothing to lose (he has insurance) and everything to gain.

Besides, they all feel bad for the fans.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #24
FrigidRoses
Choke

FrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud of

This is why I don't drive more than an hour to Cardinals shows anymore. You can't trust the guy.
FrigidRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #25
Marty

Marty has a spectacular aura aboutMarty has a spectacular aura about

it was the last show of their current run...they don't play till Halloween now

Ry should've sucked it up
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote