TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion > Tour Discussion > Archive > 2008
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Alpharetta, GA (October 17, 2008)

Old 10-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #51
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Alpharetta, GA (October 17, 2006)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey View Post
Two brief points, feel free to shout me down afterwards.

1) When the Cards played at Koko in London not too long ago, we got something like an hour and 10 minutes and that was very much that. Based on the gigs I go to, and I go to more shows than is sensible, that's pretty much par for the course, maybe an hour and a half at the most. I realise that the Cards have recently been playing longer shows, but to me an hour of seeing those guys would make me very happy.

2) Better that Ryan at least gave it a go - and that he stopped rather than risk screwing up his voice for longer than necessary. As much as it sucks that he had to cut a show short, it's probably better than having to pull a bunch of shows and disappoint many more people.

3) The folks over at the RAA have their work cut out dealing with f"*cking idiots registering just to post shit about the Cardinals, about the new record, just posting with the express intention of getting banned as quickly as possible. No wonder that after last night there was talk of limiting opportunities for suspiciously-new posters. The level of access granted to the RAA in terms of being able to host recordings is awesome, and I don't blame the mods over there being cautious about people posting stuff aimed to piss Ryan off. Look what happened to the old RA.org. Ryan got angry and got it closed down just like that. Gone in a puff of smoke. It would be a real shame if the RAA got closed down because of juvenile f*ckwits messing with it.

Ahem. Feel free to react any way you please.

Oh, and one other thing. Comparing a Ryan Adams message board to Nazi Germany is just plain fucking moronic. Get over yourself.
Nobody is going to shout you down, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion.
Nor will you have your remarks deleted here either.

(1) The Atlanta show was not just a short show, it was cut short. There is a clear difference and that is only supported by the fact that Brad apologised. Under those circumstances I don't see what is wrong with some fans feeling a makeup show would be good.

(2) I don\t entirely disagree with your second point actually. It must be hard for a singer to know how long his voice will last when he's experiencing problems with it.

(3) If you're referring to the couple of times that alt-orgers have raided RAA, I really don't see how that is a reasonable excuse for the amount of censorship that took place last night. I guess it might be annoying for the mods, but it all seems pretty harmless to me and some of it is actually pretty funny from time to time. As for Ryan closing the site down...the official word remains that he didn't ask for the alt-org to be shut down either.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #52
tangledup

tangledup is a jewel in the roughtangledup is a jewel in the rough

At first I thought he "lost his voice" because that's what Brad said in his blog post but most of the show goers seem to say that he sounded good and was complaining about a srcatchy throat. He probably should of ended the show early, done one encore and called it a night. Performers have to deal with this kind of stuff all the time.

I still think he owes the Atlanta show goers something to come out of this unscathed.
tangledup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #53
powermonkey

powermonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely agree that this was a show cut short, and I'm gutted for the folks who went, just as I'm gutted for the band. Just wanted to point out that I'm jealous that you guys get to see the Cards at all! I've seen the last few shows in London, and I'd give anything for a long, long, long show like the ones I've read about.

Hmmm, I've heard before that it wasn't Ryan that closed down the old .org, but I've also heard that it was. Never saw an official statement, so I'm not sure. I do remember RA getting pissed off with the place and it suddenly vanishing.

I don't know what was posted last night on the RAA, according to some it was all 'we're gutted, get well soon Ryan' and according to others there was loads of bickering, and new people registered just to be negative. I guess maybe the point of deleting a whole bunch of stuff was maybe because the bickering was just repetitive and pointless and it was easier just to get rid of a bunch of pages rather than go through individual posts.

Censorship sucks, I'm all up for freedom of speech (providing people aren't going out of their way to hurt other people, obviously) but I don't for a minute believe that the mods over on the RAA would just arbitrarily delete stuff because of a power trip.
powermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #54
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

i think this entire thread should be deleted of all its content
Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 PM   #55
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey View Post
Hmmm, I've heard before that it wasn't Ryan that closed down the old .org, but I've also heard that it was. Never saw an official statement, so I'm not sure. I do remember RA getting pissed off with the place and it suddenly vanishing.
It's a long and pretty complicated story, but the admin over at the alt-org first said that Ryan had asked for the site to be taken down because "sensitive information" about Ryan had been revealed. It's odd that nobody remembers this information though and the last thing Ryan said on the .org was an angry response to a negative thread about Neal Casal.
Later on, when the media got hold of the story, the admin changed his story and claimed that he has taken it down by choice and that he was working with Ryan's people to improve it.
I don't think Ryan ever issued a statement about the incident, but when I say "the official word" I meant from the .org administrator.
I think most reasonable people have already concluded that Ryan had a whole lot to do with the site being closed.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #56
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine4Life View Post
i think this entire thread should be deleted of all its content
L, you make me
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #57
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

wow, haven't been on this site since i was banned because i was pissed at two guys for leaking JCN......not trying to start shit....but, i was banned in a deal that would allow a site mod/admin get some tracks. never heard from him or got an apology from either of the two. that is besides the point. don't bash RAA for following their policy or guidelines. if you feel your rights were infringed upon, then sorry, they weren't. RAA has their rights too....That's Joel's house, that's a house of positivity, and a house for the Cards to chill and be laid back in. A house in so much as a community. Imagine letting a bunch of people in your house; setting out the rules, then hoping all get along. well that doesn't happen all the time, so some things gotta go....like redundant and negative posts.

but before you jump on me and say i'm the one being negative....think of this question, "how do others see me?"

peace to tobeyoung and to RAA and to you all.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #58
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall your banning.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:43 PM   #59
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

weird, cause i was banned. and i do recall. you and jared bowser

let's not get into it. cause i'm not here for it. i'm a bit nutty and have a horrible filter, but i do have a great memory.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:43 PM   #60
Wayfaringmind
Sketchy

Wayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to behold

I had too much wine and this thread is starting to not make sense to me at all....

Also, dude above me, no offense, but if you didn't want to get into it, why bring it up??
Old 10-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #61
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
weird, cause i was banned. and i do recall. you and jared bowser

let's not get into it. cause i'm not here for it. i'm a bit nutty and have a horrible filter, but i do have a great memory.
He was never a mod here.

Maybe it was Joel since he was a mod at the time
Old 10-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #62
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
wow, haven't been on this site since i was banned because i was pissed at two guys for leaking JCN......not trying to start shit....but, i was banned in a deal that would allow a site mod/admin get some tracks. never heard from him or got an apology from either of the two. that is besides the point. don't bash RAA for following their policy or guidelines. if you feel your rights were infringed upon, then sorry, they weren't. RAA has their rights too....That's Joel's house, that's a house of positivity, and a house for the Cards to chill and be laid back in. A house in so much as a community. Imagine letting a bunch of people in your house; setting out the rules, then hoping all get along. well that doesn't happen all the time, so some things gotta go....like redundant and negative posts.

but before you jump on me and say i'm the one being negative....think of this question, "how do others see me?"

peace to tobeyoung and to RAA and to you all.
I don't actually even know what you're talking about in regards to the banning; that was before my time. Its relevance to your main point seems dubious regardless.
Funnily enough, you seemed pretty upset when you felt someone from RAA had been unfairly banned and I do believe your thread (or at least some threads about that subject) were edited as well. I guess you got over it.
You are correct in saying that RAA is a privately owned site, just like this one. And that means they can do what they like. My point however is that now that RAA is the "approved site" for the Cardinals, what happens on there becomes a reflection on the band. And at the moment, it seems like they are a band that cannot accept any criticism from their fanbase. I don't think that's actually true for most of the band, but that's how many people will see it.
Also, the Cards come and chill at RAA? I must have missed their multiple theads then.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #63
thebalvenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I don't actually even know what you're talking about in regards to the banning; that was before my time. Its relevance to your main point seems dubious regardless.
Funnily enough, you seemed pretty upset when you felt someone from RAA had been unfairly banned and I do believe your thread (or at least some threads about that subject) were edited as well. I guess you got over it.
You are correct in saying that RAA is a privately owned site, just like this one. And that means they can do what they like. My point however is that now that RAA is the "approved site" for the Cardinals, what happens on there becomes a reflection on the band. And at the moment, it seems like they are a band that cannot accept any criticism from their fanbase. I don't think that's actually true for most of the band, but that's how many people will see it.
Also, the Cards come and chill at RAA? I must have missed their multiple theads then.
sydneyfan
i do remember the days you used to post over at RAA. you were a regular. and you're missed. the issue you brought up is water under the bridge...just like all this stuff will be.

rob, jared bowser, or jaxsonville told me in a pm and on the .org that he had made a deal with you to ban me. for the tracks. he said lots of other nice stuff too. that's what went down. no other person was mentioned, in fact a post of yours comes to mind....jaxsonville said is it a trade? and you said something along the lines like yep, done deal! ha aha ha. it was on this site, and i remember being really hurt and really upset about it, cause i thought you and i were cool...and i remember thinking gee this guy can turn on me in a second... i used to go by fucktheuniverse ? seriously man....pm me so we can talk about this...if you want? i'll definitely delete these posts. i only brought this up cause sydneyfan had noted to another member, feel free to post away here, you won't be deleted...then i thought funny, yeah but you might get banned.... anyways, i think it's pretty obvious i won't get anywhere with this. so i'm just gonna hit the hay and call it a night.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:06 AM   #64
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
sydneyfan
i do remember the days you used to post over at RAA. you were a regular. and you're missed. the issue you brought up is water under the bridge...just like all this stuff will be.
I was a regular when TBY was down because I am a posting whore basically and also I saw it as good way of reminding fans about Rob's situation. There are some lovely people at RAA and I might well have kept posting at both except I simply do not agree with many of the policies in place over there. That's fine, I just choose not to post on RAA any longer.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #65
Sawyer

Sawyer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba.steve View Post
I agree HOBBES. I will see him whenever, wherever. I'm seeing him and the Cardinals play with OASIS in vegas. But I'd still like a make-up show for Kansas City. I had to drive.
Oasis and the Cards in Vegas - now that's a show I wanna see.

so it's now 3 shows that were cut short. maybe a mini make up tour is called for. ha!

Quote:
Sydneyfan Re: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Alpharetta, GA (October 17, 2006)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey

It's a long and pretty complicated story, but the admin over at the alt-org first said that Ryan had asked for the site to be taken down because "sensitive information" about Ryan had been revealed. It's odd that nobody remembers this information though and the last thing Ryan said on the .org was an angry response to a negative thread about Neal Casal.
Later on, when the media got hold of the story, the admin changed his story and claimed that he has taken it down by choice and that he was working with Ryan's people to improve it.
I don't think Ryan ever issued a statement about the incident, but when I say "the official word" I meant from the .org administrator.
I think most reasonable people have already concluded that Ryan had a whole lot to do with the site being closed.
Back when I was on the .org a long time ago and TBY was just starting up, Neal had just joined the group, during the "Ryan Adans and the Cardinals" days...which Cat was still the bassist, before being replaced. However someone on the .org had posted some personal info on Ryan, but also private and specific information about where Neal was staying, at a certain hotel when they were in town. I think it might have been the London show. ? .....Ryan got word of this and I think the thread was immediately deleted. then the forum closed for some time....it came back I think, then disappeared and then came back again, and they said there would be changes, but they never happened and the forum and site died. I think that was the issue.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:31 AM   #66
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

My recollection is similar to yours. Except that I thought Ryan was objecting to personal information about where the Cards were staying, not just Neal. And I have still to read about one single person who remembers that info being posted. The site did come back, but it is no longer a Ryan Adams site and does not bear his name.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:52 AM   #67
Sawyer

Sawyer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
My recollection is similar to yours. Except that I thought Ryan was objecting to personal information about where the Cards were staying, not just Neal. And I have still to read about one single person who remembers that info being posted. The site did come back, but it is no longer a Ryan Adams site and does not bear his name.
I think it was both, but focused on Neal, because I recall that when Neal joined, there was a lot of hate for some reason against him. there was a thread about it, and in the thread is where that information about where he was staying was posted.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:10 AM   #68
JohnC

JohnC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
RAA deleting posts where people are giving their opinion of the show is a joke.

That board is truly useless, and an embarrassment to the fan base.
except when 99% of the setlists you post here are C&P from there
and 99% of the mp3's you post here come from LMA via there

you seem to to read that board more than I do

and for the record there is no powertripping- we run our board the way we see fit ;if you don't like it don't read it-simple as
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #69
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

So, here's my two cents. I went to the show with my sister. We have both had babies in the past year. My little girl is 9 mo; her little boy is 6 mo. It was a big deal for us to make arrangements. Then, she drove the 1 1/2 to my house and we drove 4 hrs from there.

I was pretty excited I have to admit. I could see from our seats, which rarely happens for me in those sorts of venues. They sounded amazing when they came on. Three songs in Ryan was saying sorry for his voice. I didn't really notice it sounding funny, but he seems the type to be paranoid about things like that. Then, a few songs later he made a joke about sounding like the guy from the goo goo dolls. Then, he said that he might try a few on the piano, which he didn't. Then, he said Neal would sing. Neal sang one song. Then, they did Shakedown. He said to the audience that his voice was gone. Then, he was mumbling. He apologized to the audience and to the cardinals, which just came off kind of weird. Then, they all just walked off. It was sort of unbelievable in a way.

Everyone just sat still for a few minutes in shock. Then, the house lights came on.

They sounded great. I wouldn't have felt as strange about it if they had maybe wrapped it up in some way and not just left. I'm a pretty big fan, and I will pay for his stuff. But, I don't know that I will travel to see him any time soon. I felt like an ass because it was a big deal for my sister to make arrangements to go. She made a comment when we got the tickets about how we would go to all this trouble and then he would probably get mad and not play. I assured her that he hadn't done that in a while after he stopped drinking, etc. So, I felt like a pretty big idiot.

I wouldn't mind a refund because it cost me quite a bit for the hotel, which we had pre-paid for, the gas, and the tickets. I can't travel again to see a make up show. But, I don't know that he owes it to us. He did seem to be sick. He was blowing his nose between songs, so I hope he feels better soon.

Oh, I don't usually do this but I stopped by the archive. Pretty funny that they deleted your posts Rob, and then encouraged you to post.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #70
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

I have no comment on the RAA stuff because it all happened when I was tucked up in bed.

I would say however that I am totally suspicious of Ryan cutting the show short to the surprise of his band and apparently sounding in good voice and now he would appear to have not been seen or heard of since and I haven't seen a trace of any comment from anyone as to what actually was or is wrong with him.

Maybe he had a flight to catch. Sorry folks but I think this whole thing has been handled appallingly by Ryan, his band and his management.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #71
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
And 99% of the honest, uncensored fanbase discussion about RA and the Cardinals comes from here or alt-country. So it all seems to work out well really...
Old 10-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #72
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Jeebus... my head just exploded all over this thread.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #73
sipowicz
When We Looked Like Giants

sipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to all

I think we have to have a good ol' fashioned throw down! Board v. Board!!
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #74
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post
Jeebus... my head just exploded all over this thread.
My sentiments exactly.
Magnolia Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #75
Rob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post

you seem to to read that board more than I do

and for the record there is no powertripping- we run our board the way we see fit ;if you don't like it don't read it-simple as
I don't read RAA. When it is brought up here, I'll go check it out.

Thanks for the setlists and recordings. Keep up the great work! Can't wait to hear this awesome show.