TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Movie Recommendations

Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #601
sipowicz
When We Looked Like Giants

sipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to all
Re: Movie Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickie View Post
I just watched Sweeney Todd and really enjoyed it.
You know, I didn't like the movie at all. Mr Depp didn't pull it off IMO...
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #602
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Ang Lee's Lust, Caution is pretty fantastic. Visually, the film is just perfect and the storyline is really engrossing. I read a few reviewers complaining it was a bit slow, but I didn't find that at all. Recommended.

I've used the international trailer here since the US one basically gives away the entire plot.

Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #603
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

Not Untraceable. Just watched it. Suuucccckkkkks despite Diane Lane's beauty.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #604
scuba.steve

scuba.steve will become famous soon enough

I absolutely loved these movies:

The Visitor
Son of Rambow
Hors de Prix (Priceless)

oh and Wall-E
scuba.steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:24 AM   #605
radioradi0

radioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to all

The Fall

Tarsem, the director of REM's "Losing My Religion" video and The Cell, which was his last film. He financed the new film himself. I can't really describe it. Google the NY Times review, it's spot-on.
radioradi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:27 AM   #606
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

The Orphanage
Old 07-13-2008, 05:15 AM   #607
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects

Late-era Charles Bronson. Exploitative to the max!
Old 07-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #608
of_the_girl

of_the_girl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I watched Wes Anderson's The Darjeeling Limited last night. I'm not as taken with his films as many others seem to be, but I enjoyed this one very much. Visually, it was pretty much perfect. Adrian Brody in particular was terrifc.
This is the first Wes Anderson movie I've seen and I really enjoyed it.
of_the_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #609
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by of_the_girl View Post
This is the first Wes Anderson movie I've seen and I really enjoyed it.
I haven't seen Darjeeling yet, but I just bought The Royal Tenenbaums on DVD last week, and absolutely loved it...apart from the
Spoiler:
attempted suicide scene.

Other than that, I recently watched 3:10 To Yuma and thought it was ace.
Magnolia Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #610
scuba.steve

scuba.steve will become famous soon enough

wes anderson always has those great off beat scenes with some great music by an off beat musician! especially that "one scene" Magnolia Mountain.

I can't wait to see The Fall. It's playing here.
scuba.steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #611
SkortBrun

SkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba.steve View Post
wes anderson always has those great off beat scenes with some great music by an off beat musician! especially that "one scene"
Yeah I really liked "that scene" as well.
SkortBrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #612
burgerqueen
yeah, you've got me shakin

burgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba.steve View Post
Wall-E
For real? I'm a sucker for all those Disney movies and this one didn't do anything for me (based on previews alone).
burgerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #613
SkortBrun

SkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud of

Just finished watching the Darjeeling Limited and I loved it. Another great Wes Anderson film. I really want to buy the soundtrack now.
SkortBrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:22 PM   #614
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Recently rewatched Gods and Monsters and was reminded why this will remain forever one of my favourite fillms. Ian McKellan is superb and Brendan Fraser's terrific performance just highlights how often he''s been wasted in cheesy leading roles before.

Well worth adding to your NetFlix queue.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 PM   #615
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

Yay, movies! I'm new to this thread so I'm going to attempt to catch up

I loved Darjeeling Limited - and Hotel Chevalier was great too. Natalie Portman was awesome in it.

I'm checking my Blockbuster queue to see what else I've watched lately.

Be Kind, Rewind (awesome!)
The Bank Job (entertaining)
21 (so so, entertaining enough)
Stop Loss (horrible - unwatchable)
A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints (awesome)
Akeelah and the Bee (loved it)
Lars and the Real Girl (loved it)
There Will Be Blood (I liked it, my husband LOVED it)
Rendition (pretty good)
Dan In Real Life (awful)
No Country For Old Men (loved it)
The Ten (weird, but mildly funny)
Gone Baby Gone (loved it)
Waitress (cute)
God Grew Tired of Us (loved it)
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #616
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

Also, I don't know if this has been said elsewhere, or if this thread is only for rentable movies, but The Dark Knight was SO GOOD.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #617
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Dan In Real Life (awful)
Very true. Steve Carell keeps making terrible choices in the roles he selects. He's funny, he should probably just stick to that.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:26 PM   #618
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

Quote:
Recently rewatched Gods and Monsters and was reminded why this will remain forever one of my favourite fillms. Ian McKellan is superb and Brendan Fraser's terrific performance just highlights how often he''s been wasted in cheesy leading roles before.

Well worth adding to your NetFlix queue.
Blockbuster doesn't have it.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #619
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy031 View Post
Blockbuster doesn't have it.
Well, shame on them.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #620
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

I watched Lars and the Real Girl yesterday.
I thought it was just going to be a dark kind of comedy, but it ended up being really fascinating. Ryan Gosling was really great and created a really interesting damaged character out of something that could have been ridiculous in another actor's hands.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 PM   #621
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by clewis View Post
I watched Lars and the Real Girl yesterday.
I thought it was just going to be a dark kind of comedy, but it ended up being really fascinating. Ryan Gosling was really great and created a really interesting damaged character out of something that could have been ridiculous in another actor's hands.
That's on my queue as well. Now I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:05 PM   #622
clewis
gangster

I'm now very glad that I can't judge Ryan Gosling by the Notebook alone.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #623
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

I've never seen The Notebook, but I tried watching Lars a couple of months ago...I just couldn't get through it.

Good acting, though.
Magnolia Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:48 AM   #624
thunderoad
Real Gone

thunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of light

Gosling is perfectly convincing in Half Nelson, that's when I first realized the guy had serious acting skills, Lars was kinda 'meh', it seemed to be trying a bit too hard to be some quirky/indie film. Just like Sweeny Todd felt like it was manufactured strictly for the hot topic demographic, no thanks. As of lately there doesn't appear to be anything to look forward at BBuster, everything on my queue is fairly old(er), I watcehd Be Kind Rewind at the theatre, cause I love Mos Def('s music) and Gondry has the knack to make interesting films even if it's only visually at time, but regardless it was also very 'meh', I'm lying, it was beyond mediocre, it was like those Nickolodeon tv movies when I was a kid that I even knew they were bad back then. The worst thing is, I LOVE films, probably should dedicate time watching to something more productive like soup kitchens, etc. But really, the Dark K night was phenomenol, even better than I anticipated, and Ledger really deserves every ounce of hype that he's receieved for his rol and more!
Watchmen trailer, made me giddy with excitment. But good shit needs to be coming into blockbuster, pronto, I need something to do at 2am when my body is tired and my mind won't sleep.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:16 AM   #625
Kirsten
underfootsquished

Kirsten is a jewel in the roughKirsten is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
That's on my queue as well. Now I'm really looking forward to it.
I liked it, and not just because Paul Schneider is in it... though that would be reason enough.
Kirsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links