TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

Old 10-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #326
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold
Re: Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
audition
the babadook
borgman
the cabin in the woods
creep
a cure for wellness
the descent
goodnight mommy
the guest
it follows
oldboy
rubber
the strangers
the visit
yer next
thank you!!
I actually really enjoyed The Descent and Oldboy.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #327
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Make sure you don't watch the Black Christmas remake. The one you must see is from 1974.

Oh, and don't forget The Ruins.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #328
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Make sure you don't watch the Black Christmas remake. The one you must see is from 1974.

Oh, and don't forget The Ruins.
they remade that?!? [face/palm]

the ruins is criminally underrated - good call!
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #329
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FavoriteEver View Post
I thought The Strangers was really really good. I like watching horror movies but I also have a hard time with them because I'm not into super gorey stuff or supernatural stuff. Plus a lot of them are super predictable and just kind of lame in general. I like the sensation of feeling scared, and movies that do that to me best are movies that are realistic, where I'm sitting there thinking "holy shit, I could see this happening". I think The Strangers is probably the movie from the past 10 years that has scared me the most because of that element.

Funny Games would probably do it for me too, I just haven't worked up the nerve to watch it yet, but I've read a lot about it.
It's the nihilism in Funny Games that really gets under your skin. There's plenty of abrupt violence too - but it's the casual attitude of the killers and the sheer random senselessness of what happens that really gives the film its edge. Balv is spot on - Haneke is basically saying people suck - including the film's audience, who after all, are paying money to watch mindless violence. Either version is worth watching - same director and the US remake is basically a scene by scene copy of the original anyway.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #330
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
audition
the babadook
borgman
the cabin in the woods
creep
a cure for wellness
the descent
goodnight mommy
the guest
it follows
oldboy
rubber
the strangers
the visit
yer next

That's a good list. Creep and Goodnight Mommy are probably under-appreciated. They both linger in your mind long after the end credits.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #331
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Oh damn starting off with sleepaway?

I wannabe there for his reaction of the end
Old 10-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #332
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Sleep tight is really great and creepy
Old 10-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #333
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by an old love letter View Post

That scene has been scarring brains for decades now.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:09 PM   #334
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by an old love letter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
That scene has been scarring brains for decades now.
the episode of 'how did this get made?' on it is completely bonkers

Spoiler:
they get to a point where they are trying to determine who everyone in 'the family' is at the beginning and end and you can just hear their brains slowly start to melt
Old 10-11-2017, 11:10 PM   #335
sleigher

Quote:
That's a good list. Creep and Goodnight Mommy are probably under-appreciated. They both linger in your mind long after the end credits.
agreed - goodnight mommy is truly the stuff of nightmares

really looking forward to creep II

Last edited by sleigher; 10-13-2017 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: improper grammar
Old 10-12-2017, 05:30 AM   #336
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
agreed - goodnight mommy is truly the stuff on nightmares

really looking forward to creep II
Ah, I didn't even realise they were making a sequel. Just watched the trailer - very promising. And looks like Peachfuzz makes a return appearance.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #337
sleigher

Quote:
Ah, I didn't even realise they were making a sequel. Just watched the trailer - very promising. And looks like Peachfuzz makes a return appearance.
haha - yes!

think this might be the first sequel duplass has done but hes been talking about how much he loved this character and really wanted to do another one - im geeked!
Old 10-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #338
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

I liked the first Creep. It was one of the better "found footage" movies I have seen.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #339
FavoriteEver

Quote:
The film was inspired by true events from Bertino's childhood:

"As a kid, I lived in a house on a street in the middle of nowhere. One night, while our parents were out, somebody knocked on the front door and my little sister answered it. At the door were some people asking for somebody who didn't live there. We later found out that these people were knocking on doors on the area and, if no one was home, breaking into the houses."

In interviews, Bertino stated he was "very impressed" with some of the theories circulating on the Internet about the "true events" the movie is allegedly based on, but said that his main inspiration was the true crime book Helter Skelter about the Manson Family murders; some have said that the film was also inspired by the unsolved Keddie Cabin Murders of 1981 that occurred in a small vacation community in California's Sierra Nevada. The film's premise has been compared by some film critics to the French horror film Them, released two years earlier.
I had heard this. That movie creeped me out so bad when I watched it that I ended up reading everything I could about it. I'm also a pretty avid true crime reader and have read about the Keddie Cabin Murders a few times and have heard them covered in a couple of my podcasts. That event is probably in my top 5 favorite unsolved murders to read about when I want to creep myself out (Zodiac has and probably always will be number 1).
Old 10-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #340
sleigher

Quote:
Zodiac has and probably always will be number 1.
finchers film is incredible - the documentary included with the directors cut is nothing short of chilling - im legit shocked that hes never been caught

read an interview with john carroll lynch recently and he talked about his take on it:

AVC: First thing’s first. Is Arthur Leigh Allen the Zodiac Killer?

JCL: No, and the reason I don’t think so is twofold. First, in performing the role, David Fincher asked me to play it as an innocent man. [Pauses.] Until the end. [Laughs.]

AVC: Until that last scene with Robert Graysmith.

JCL: And then the other thing was… and this is going to sound like a weird defense, but… Arthur Leigh Allen was a pedophile. To get to be a pedophile, to really choose to do that, consciously in your life, it’s my belief that you have to run through some really severe walls of societal norms and morals. It has to be a mania, an obsession, of such grand proportions for you to ignore the health and safety of children to do it—I don’t see how you go, “I want to sleep with children and kill people.” The only way I can think of it not being that way is if he molested children—[Aside.] this is a horrible answer—and he realized that wasn’t it. He just thought it was. But I find that hard to believe. Now, that’s a terrible defense of Arthur Leigh Allen. He wasn’t the Zodiac Killer, he wasn’t a serial killer, because he was a pedophile. But I will say that the circumstantial evidence that Graysmith presented, and that David Fincher expanded upon during the making of the movie, is pretty overwhelming.

AVC: But there have been so many suspects over the years. People have made these iron, convincing cases against several people.

JCL: Sure. That’s what the movie’s about, isn’t it? I think that movie is about the virus of obsession. And I don’t think that’s stopped. The Zodiac isn’t the first one to do that, obviously.

https://www.avclub.com/john-carroll-...r-c-1818773751
Old 10-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #341
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

That's a film I need to rewatch. Haven't since it was released.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #342
FavoriteEver

I'll have to track down the documentary. I've only seen it on netflix so it's just the standard movie. I loved the movie though. Zodiac movies and documentaries always get me creeped out.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #343
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
That's a film I need to rewatch. Haven't since it was released.
for me its a whos who of character actors - so many damn great ones

Quote:
I'll have to track down the documentary. I've only seen it on netflix so it's just the standard movie. I loved the movie though. Zodiac movies and documentaries always get me creeped out.
here you go:

Old 10-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #344
sleigher

this looks promising
Old 10-15-2017, 08:06 AM   #345
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Watched Deep Red and Hellraiser on Halloween night. Good times.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #346
helen55

helen55 is an unknown quantity at this point

As a horror movie fan, I can suggest "The Conjuring" One of the best movies in the horror genre ever. It's about paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren work to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in their farmhouse.
helen55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #347
an old love letter

Struggling to find some good horror I haven’t seen D:
Old 10-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #348
an old love letter

Trying to find this found footage film called wekufe but no luck so far
Old 10-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #349
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
They have a Creep 2 coming out.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #350
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold