sleigher is a jewel in the roughsleigher is a jewel in the rough
rip richard swift

what a super talented guy - gone too soon
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
tdlansdale

tdlansdale is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: rip richard swift

Yeah, this really kills me. Do most people know Ryan Adams sings backup on the Atlantic Ocean album? I'm guessing it's him kinda singing high harmonies, though Swift will do that, too, during the "please don't you cry anymore" on Track 3. I think the story is that Swift was at Wilco's The Loft studio and Ryan happened to come by? I think I read that somewhere.

That album came out in 2009 and he hasn't really released an "album-y" album since then. Just producing a lot and touring with The Shins and The Black Keys. He put out some EPs and side projects, but they feel kinda 'in the moment.' For some reason he was really digging distorted garage rock sounding vocals for those releases that had vocals.

I got into him when he was releasing music through Velvet Blue Music in the early 2000'. He released The Novelist. It's 8 tracks and 19 minutes that flow together and are a total trip. Then he released 4 7"s that pre-date the vinyl resurgence and RSD hype. I asked for a record needle for my older console stereo so I could hear these songs. Target or Hasting's did not touch vinyl at this time. No digital downloads, etc, you had to get the 7". He re-recorded some of those for his first 'proper' LP with Secretly Canadian. I may prefer the 7" versions of all of those songs, but it's been a while since I've spun them.

I could go on a long time about Swift, but I don't think anyone will read it, so I'll keep it.
tdlansdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
sleigher

i was aware of the ryan connection but ive never heard that album/song - i dont really have a good excuse

secretly canadian sent me promos of dressed up for the letdown/as onasis and i love both of those albums

i really liked the production he brought to damien jurados recent albums and the covers record that they did together - along with the work he did with david bazan

i didnt realize he was married with children and i am just gutted for his family
Old 07-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
sleigher

this is all too similar to molina
----------------------------------
We are grateful to the many fans, friends, artists and collaborators who have shared their thoughts, love and support this week. It has been a bracing force for many of us.

A number of questions have come up surrounding Swift’s life, his work and his death, and we’d like to answer some of them candidly, here:

Yes, Richard Swift suffered from alcohol addiction, and it’s ultimately what took his life. With the support of family and friends and the assistance of MusiCares, Richard had checked himself into rehab for multiple stays over the past two years, but his body gave out before he could overcome the disease. He was diagnosed with hepatitis and liver and kidney distress in June. Multiple hospitals worked to help stabilize him over the course of that month, but his body was unable to heal and, per his wishes and with his family’s consent, he was moved to hospice care. Richard passed in the early morning of July 3, 2018 in a hospice facility in Tacoma, WA. He is survived by his wife Shealynn and their three children Madison, Adrian & Kennedy.

Yes, Richard was working on new music, originally planned for release in November of this year. We do not have a timeline for its completion yet, but we hope to share it with you sooner than that.

With love,

The Swift family, Secretly Canadian & Next Wave Management.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #5
tdlansdale

tdlansdale is an unknown quantity at this point

This sounds like it will actually be released and that he was pretty much finished with it. Still have never heard anything from the final sessions of Sparklehorse or Broadcast.
tdlansdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links