Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

Old 01-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #501
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough
Re: Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

Dead in the Water is a good SyFy movie. All female main cast. Don't often see that in a horror film.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #502
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone else been watching "Into the Dark" on Hulu?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #503
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Has anyone else been watching "Into the Dark" on Hulu?
been meaning to check this out - which episode would you suggest?
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #504
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
been meaning to check this out - which episode would you suggest?
I've only watched the first two. The Body was really good black humor. Going to watch the Christmas episode tonight.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #505
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Some upcoming horror releases for 2019.

Looking forward to "Us" and "Piercings". Also interested in a "more accessible" Gaspar Noe film. Mainly because I usually find his films skillful but insufferably pretentious and ego-driven.

http://collider.com/horror-movie-rel...the-final-wish
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:07 PM   #506
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Some upcoming horror releases for 2019.

Looking forward to "Us" and "Piercings". Also interested in a "more accessible" Gaspar Noe film. Mainly because I usually find his films skillful but insufferably pretentious and ego-driven.

http://collider.com/horror-movie-rel...the-final-wish
im all about christopher abbott [so good in 'sweet virginia'] so 'piercing' is on my short list

re: gaspar - agreed ...my overall motto: just say no to noe!

also - pretty hyped for the new ari aster movie
Old 03-02-2019, 12:09 AM   #507
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

re: gaspar - agreed ...my overall motto: just say no to noe!

I could appreciate Irreversible ( it never seems right to say you enjoyed a Noe film), but I think that was largely driven by the casting of Vincent Cassel and Monica Belluci. I struggled to finish I Stand Alone, and gave up completely after Enter The Void.

He seems to fall into the trap of being shocking for the sake of it way too often.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #508
sleigher

Quote:
I could appreciate Irreversible ( it never seems right to say you enjoyed a Noe film), but I think that was largely driven by the casting of Vincent Cassel and Monica Belluci. I struggled to finish I Stand Alone, and gave up completely after Enter The Void.

He seems to fall into the trap of being shocking for the sake of it way too often.
completely forgot that he directed 'irreversible' - but belluci/cassel were definitely the best part of a very grim film

ive not seen very many noe movies but 'enter the void' is easily the most egregious - it should have been called 'duke nukem goes to a rave'
Old 03-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #509
roscoe

roscoe is just really niceroscoe is just really nice

Pretty disappointed by 'Hereditary' after all the great reviews. Schlocky Rosemary's Baby rip-off ending. Thought they would examine the mental illness angle in more detail.

http://www.roscoe.bandcamp.com
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #510
yesterday'seyes
Joe

yesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
Pretty disappointed by 'Hereditary' after all the great reviews. Schlocky Rosemary's Baby rip-off ending. Thought they would examine the mental illness angle in more detail.
I liked part of it. It got ridiculous towards the end.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #511
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone said the end of Hereditary sucked, so I went in with less expectations. Agreed on the Rosemary's baby tone at the end. Compared to the other shitty horror on Canada Netflix, it was OK.

Strangers Prey at Night was OK too. Nothing special, but fine.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #512
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
I actually really liked it, but agree about the ending. I thought it worked much better as a metaphor, a la The Babadook
Old 03-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #513
sleigher

Quote:
also - pretty hyped for the new ari aster movie
Old 03-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #514
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

ooh, that trailer looks very good.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #515
JackStark211

It does look good.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:06 AM   #516
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Anyone seen Us yet? Hoping to see it next week when friends are back in town (my partner won't go to scary movies)
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #517
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Anyone seen Us yet? Hoping to see it next week when friends are back in town (my partner won't go to scary movies)
Was going to see it yesterday but things came up. Maybe this next weekend.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:37 AM   #518
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post

Just saw it today. It's a crazy ride, but I loved it. Thought it was a better film than Get Out, which I also really liked. Peele is a really clever director and not afraid to take risks.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:35 PM   #519
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Just saw it today. It's a crazy ride, but I loved it. Thought it was a better film than Get Out, which I also really liked. Peele is a really clever director and not afraid to take risks.

Cool, Iím seeing it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:44 PM   #520
sleigher

watched piercing the other night - loved it

Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #521
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

The Wind was a creepy story about the effects of isolation and religion in 19th century America.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:56 PM   #522
sleigher

has anyone seen this?
Old 04-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #523
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Yes, it's one of my favourite Australian horror/true crime films. Beautifully filmed, acted and directed. Its more atmosphere than narrative really, and since it was made initially for a domestic audience, it does assume a bit of background knowledge about the Snowtown murders. But not enough to make it difficult for a non-Australian to enjoy, I wouldn't think.

A pretty influential film here too - you can see a lot of its technique in later films like Hounds of Love.

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 04-28-2019 at 06:48 PM..
Old 04-28-2019, 09:22 PM   #524
sleigher

Quote:
Yes, it's one of my favourite Australian horror/true crime films. Beautifully filmed, acted and directed. Its more atmosphere than narrative really, and since it was made initially for a domestic audience, it does assume a bit of background knowledge about the Snowtown murders. But not enough to make it difficult for a non-Australian to enjoy, I wouldn't think.

A pretty influential film here too - you can see a lot of its technique in later films like Hounds of Love.
excellent! i found it on a list of tim heideckers favorite movies - im really looking forward to watching it
Old 04-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #525
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
excellent! i found it on a list of tim heideckers favorite movies - im really looking forward to watching it

It is pretty unrelentingly grim throughout, and graphically violent as well. So, definitely not a fun watch, but it does pack an emotional punch.
Sponsored Links