TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

Old 05-06-2017, 01:45 AM   #151
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowd View Post
Seeing Get Out tonight. Amped.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Saw it today. Loved it. Also much funnier than I expected.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #152
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by an old love letter View Post
Just watched Always Shine... not a horror movie but it's definitely got some psychological elements to it that push it there as a thriller. Really good.
i really liked this - pretty trippy
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #153
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

the blackcoats daughter is on amazon prime now so i figured id finally get around to watching it - not even halfway through and it is atrocious - ugh
Old 05-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #154
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Watched don't hang up which was bad but not as bad as it could've been
Old 05-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #155
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

A Cure for Wellness is out there. I'm looking to maybe watch it tonight.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #156
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Let us know if it is any good.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:51 PM   #157
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

It's slightly below average

If it played up it's southern gothic roots like crimson peak it would've been better
Old 05-28-2017, 06:19 PM   #158
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Hoping to watch this later today. Looks like it's an Aussie suburban gothic, in a similar vein to Snowtown. Reviews have been pretty good.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #159
an old love letter

Lemme know how it is...

I'll check it out if it is good.

I recently watched I am not a serial killer. For a few weeks I've passed on watching-- not today with your shitty horror movies but this one is actually really good. Def worth watching.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:50 AM   #160
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Lemme know how it is...

I'll check it out if it is good.
Well, I was really quite impressed with it. It wears its influences proudly - Snowtown is the most obvious, but there are also stylistic nods to David Michod (Animal Kingdom). Unrelentingly grim and tense, its not an easy watch, but it has been very thoughtfully constructed and the performances are all excellent.

Although it won't make any difference to international audiences, Aussies watching this will never see actor/comedian Stephen Curry the same way again, as he plays wildly and creepily against type.

Obviously inspired by the real-life Perth serial killers David and Catherine Birnie, this is a very promising debut by director Ben Young.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #161
an old love letter

Glad to hear!

I'll track it down
Old 05-31-2017, 11:10 AM   #162
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I watched Alien: Covenant yesterday and really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed Prometheus and liked all the religious subtext. Lucky for me this one expands upon that. I see it getting torn apart by trolls yet still getting generally favorable reviews from critics. I highly recommend it. If you have seen it and want to read a very good analysis, check this out:

Spoiler:
In 'Alien: Covenant', Ridley Scott and his writers use the best loved elements from previous Alien installments in an (apparently vain) attempt to appease fans of the franchise who hated 'Prometheus', but also to camouflage what is in fact a far weirder film. What on the surface appears to be a very straight forward - and some might say derivative - retread of familiar story beats actually disguises the continuation and further exploration of the themes from 'Prometheus'. And at least in that regard, 'Alien: Covenant' is a surprisingly unconventional blockbuster, because it not only continues to "dissect" the creator/creation/creature dynamic: it brings the android David's story-line to its perverse, if somewhat logical, conclusion.

Now if you hated 'Prometheus', or just dismissed it as a dumb movie where most characters are stupid and nothing is explained or makes sense, you won't find much to like in the less conventional story elements in 'Alien: Covenant', and you might as well stop reading this review now (btw, if you're interested in revisiting 'Prometheus', you'll find a link to my analysis of its themes by clicking on my username). But if you DID like it - or at least found its maliciously ironic religious subtext and musings on creation fascinating - you'll probably find some aspects of 'Alien: Covenant' highly enjoyable. As you might recall, the cycle of creation depicted in 'Prometheus' goes as follows: the Gods (aka "the Engineers") create mankind - mankind creates David - David in turn starts to experiment on his creators (the humans) in order to create something new.

The totally insane - and hilariously mean spirited - continuation/escalation of that cycle in 'Alien: Covenant' (beware: spoilers abound follow): David's ambition to make the jump from creation to creator has grown exponentially; it now entails nothing less than to exterminate the Gods, as well as experimenting on them - which makes him kind of hard to top in the mad scientist (or mad killer robot) department. By killing the Gods, he, the 2nd generation creation, conquers "Heaven" and becomes the sole creator (humans are degraded to the status of lab-rats), thereby closing the cycle started in 'Prometheus'.

Admittedly, the film is uneven in terms of story and pacing - but that's precisely why I find it fascinating. 'Alien: Covenant' is a weird hybrid which somehow halfway through its running time turns from relatively straight sci-fi and very familiar Alien terrain into a brooding, Gothic horror film (at least for a while before it turns back into a more conventional sci-fi/action film). In the Gothic part of the film, the man-made monster/creature (David) has turned the table and assumed the role of Dr. Frankenstein to make creatures of his own design. These creatures - who appear to be the first actual Xenomorphs - reflect and reveal who/what David really is and how deceiving his human looks are. For although he inherited some very human traits from his creator (emotions, curiosity, ego, the urge to create - among others) he is still a machine adhering to a logic that is ultimately as alien (pun intended) to a human being as the Xenomorph itself - and as lethal. Which is why it makes complete sense that David is the "designer" of this perfect, machine-like organism (Swiss artist H.R. Giger, who created the original Alien, called it "biomechanoid" for a reason).

In 'Alien: Covenant', David is the humans' - and humanity's - ultimate adversary; in fact, for the purpose of the story told in the film, he is Satan himself. When the Gods/Engineers wanted to create life in their own image, they made (or "engineered") humans. Now if the Devil in this tale were to create life in HIS own image (his REAL image - for David was only given human features to make interaction with him more "comfortable" for the humans), surely, he would create demons: and isn't the Xenomorph the ultimate demon sprung straight from the darkest pits of Hell? 'Alien: Covenant' is essentially a variation of John Milton's epic poem 'Paradise Lost' - only that the filmmakers decided to let the Devil triumph in their version. David's story-line follows Satan's (quite literal) ascent to Heaven, where he kills God and starts his own rule, thus turning it into Hell and ending the age of man (and for those of you who think I'm reaching a little here: the film's title was originally supposed to be 'Alien: Paradise Lost'). Now regardless whether you liked the film or not, you have to admit: that's not exactly the texture of a generic, conventional blockbuster, right?

At the end of the film, David is aboard the spaceship Covenant - which he has turned into a perverted version of Noah's Arch - and travels to a new world where he plans to start his new version of Genesis. He might even start a new religion: the Bible as written by a mad killer robot with a god complex (just think about how crazy demented - and completely wonderful - that sounds). Imagine the Lovecraftian nightmare he will create and what creatures will populate "his" version of Earth. I would love a sequel to 'Alien: Covenant' to take us there and finally fully descend into madness. It would be the logical next step: after the human protagonists visited an angry god in 'Prometheus' who wanted to destroy humanity, and then discover that Heaven is empty and the Gods are all dead in 'Alien: Covenant', they should next visit the Devil in his newly created Hell. My suggestion for a title: 'Alien: Genesis'.

So to sum it all up: 'Alien: Covenant' is an uneven film, but if you view it as a fascinating experiment of a blockbuster/art-house hybrid filled to the rim with some of the meanest religious subtext you'll ever find in a big-budget Hollywood film, you will probably be able to forgive its more obvious flaws and end up enjoying it quite a bit.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #163
an old love letter

No idea why the hate for Prometheus or covenant

I thought covenant was a lot of fun especially, the flashback was really interesting.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #164
JackStark211

Quote:
No idea why the hate for Prometheus or covenant

I thought covenant was a lot of fun especially, the flashback was really interesting.
The IMDB reviews are childish.

But I love both films. I can't wait to watch Prometheus again after having seen Covenant. I also hope he follows through with one last film.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:59 PM   #165
an old love letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
The IMDB reviews are childish.

But I love both films. I can't wait to watch Prometheus again after having seen Covenant. I also hope he follows through with one last film.
fassbender was such a good choice

Made me want to rewatch Prometheus as well lol
Old 06-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #166
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

i loved prometheus and can't wait to see the new one
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #167
an old love letter

It's definitely fun
Old 06-02-2017, 03:13 AM   #168
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

It's entertaining, if nothing else. I'm super partial to the whole Alien universe, so that helps. Not sure how it'd stand up on the rewatch, or under any great scrutiny, but hey. Prometheus, for me, was sorta the same. Fine as a once-watch, but no great desire to watch again. I felt, for all it's philosophical pondering, it still came off feeling only surface-level deep. And this opinion was formed on first day watch, BEFORE the internet tore it a new chest hole. Covenant sparked my interest to revisit, though. Maybe there's more that I missed? Maybe I'll do that this weekend...?

Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #169
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Man, I loved A Dark Song so much - right up until the last 15 mins or so when it all went to crap. The majority of the film was a masterclass in how to make a big impact with a tiny budget - but the last few scenes were basically a lesson in why directors with limited budgets shouldn't get overly ambitious.

Still worth watching, because when it's good, it's great. Maybe others will like the ending for all I know.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #170
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Man, I loved A Dark Song so much - right up until the last 15 mins or so when it all went to crap. The majority of the film was a masterclass in how to make a big impact with a tiny budget - but the last few scenes were basically a lesson in why directors with limited budgets shouldn't get overly ambitious.

Still worth watching, because when it's good, it's great. Maybe others will like the ending for all I know.
I'll give it a watch.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #171
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

LIFE

it was good

typical space alien adventure horror flick
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #172
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
LIFE

it was good

typical space alien adventure horror flick
We loved that.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #173
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Took a while, but I finally caught The Autopsy of Jane Doe last night. Top shelf shit, but I had ONE gripe that I will not mention (don't want to spoil it). Still, great little creeper.

Also watched El Dia De La Bestia, this old Spanish comedy/horror about a priest, a TV host and a metal fan who try to kill the Antichrist. Funny shit.

Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #174
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Belko Experiment could have been much better. Interesting idea, but I didn't really care about any of the characters. They also whispered too much. Plus, Michael Rooker should have been in it more.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:37 PM   #175
sleigher

the void did nearly nothing for me

not expecting much from rupture either
Sponsored Links