TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 05-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #2726
CRB fan

CRB fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, and the Stans that love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Adam MacDougall (keys) was fired. Most of the speculation is it is $$ related. They're using a fill in keyboardist through July (new album is out in June) and then they are done.
Hello! Long time lurker, fan of Neal’s and I can actually comment on this a little bit.

I haven’t heard anything about Adam’s departure being a firing or money related. Everything that I heard was that Adam, as well as bass player Jeff Hill have left CRB. Neal has agreed to stay on the tour until the end of July. Neal is in another current touring band with Adam called “Circles Around The Sun”, aka CATS.

Adam will be replaced on Keyboards by Pete Sears of Rod Stewart, Jefferson Starship and many other bands. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Sears

I read that they have a replacement on bass already too but I can’t recall his name or find that post at the moment.

Adam also left Chris’ “Black Crowes” band called As The Crow Flies.

The problems in CRB seem to have started when Chris started a relationship with Alan Forbes’ girlfriend. Alan Forbes is an artist who designed the iconic Black Crowes symbols and went on to do all of the tour posters and album covers for CRB from their inception maybe 8 years ago until recently.

Alan’s girlfriend ended up with Chris and Alan was cut loose, creating some animosity between the band, crew and Chris. Chris then divorced his wife Alison Bridges, who he married in 2009.

Chris’ new girlfriend (aka Alan’s old girlfriend) can be seen here in the new CRB video, “Cheauffers Daughter” (sorry about my spelling) The video was recently filmed at a CRB show at “Terrapin Crossroads” a venue owned by Grateful Dead bass player Phil Lesh: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=szcHiuFd-Tg

The GF is the driver in the video.

So, that’s the story I’ve been hearing for months. People who are much more involved and tuned into the CRB scene have been telling me this story for months and apparently it came to a head.

Adam had a disagreement with the new GF (Camille) and he left or maybe he was shown the door. The bass player followed him.

After all I’ve been hearing the last several months I sincerely believe that this is the story and that it’s not money related.

In any event, Neal sure does end up with some difficult band leaders! 😂 Hopefully for his sake he won’t be joining Van Morrison’s band or someone similar after this!
CRB fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #2727
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Give it a rest.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #2728
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

For the 2000’s I’d put Nick Cave, Damon Albarn and PJ Harvey on the list for best song writers, next to the ones already mentioned.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #2729
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Not to get too far off topic... but I've always thought the Black Crowes were derivative trash. Good performers/performances, but the music seems blatantly unoriginal. Add the brothers' stupid Oasis style infighting, and I'm out. I suppose I should hear CRB at some point, but was never inspired enough to do so. Neal's a hired gun for these bozos... part of studio musician life. You end up getting hired by these dumpster fire artists that keeping burning bridges, but somehow still have a career.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #2730
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
Not to get too far off topic... but I've always thought the Black Crowes were derivative trash. Good performers/performances, but the music seems blatantly unoriginal. Add the brothers' stupid Oasis style infighting, and I'm out. I suppose I should hear CRB at some point, but was never inspired enough to do so. Neal's a hired gun for these bozos... part of studio musician life. You end up getting hired by these dumpster fire artists that keeping burning bridges, but somehow still have a career.
perfectly stated....i feel the same way.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #2731
dmorgan1

dmorgan1 will become famous soon enough

On RAA FB page today:

Apparently Ryan is selling off PaxAM studios. According to the manager of the 7Eleven across the street several trucks have been unloading gear from the premises this last month and it will be converted to a women’s shelter later in the year.
dmorgan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 AM   #2732
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

damn that’s interesting if true. Pretty sad but maybe LA was just no longer going to be home for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #2733
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully he’s the one converting it to a woman’s shelter
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #2734
dmorgan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Hopefully he’s the one converting it to a woman’s shelter

I’d really like to think that too.

I think he only rented the space, so unless he’s selling off and emptying out his gear and paying their rent perhaps?

In any case this has all come supposedly from the manager of the 7Eleven across the road. Who knows the reliability of the source. Could all be just speculation.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 AM   #2735
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

If that's true, this might be the first time I feel any kind of sadness for him.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #2736
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

I feel skeptical about this story. Does anyone know if he actually owns the building? Does the 7-11 owner know the equipment is being sold? Moved out doesn't mean sold off. Women's shelter feels too convenient.

But I'm a skeptical jerk.
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #2737
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Every time he's discussed Pax Am, he compared the cost of recording next door at Sunset to a month's rent, so it seems safe to say he doesn't own the building. I couldn't find any sales records online, but that stuff could be accessed in LA, if someone wants to put in a request.

Was that the exact wording of the Facebook post? Did the person offer any verification?
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #2738
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

From a thread on the FB RA Archive, dated yesterday, regarding a very quiet PAX-AM studio:

“We’re getting ready to leave LA for the day and head back home, but just stopped by one more time. Still nothing, BUT we ran back into 711 for a water and met the manager. He actually knows Ryan and refers to him by name, and he said that he’s heard that paxam is in the process of being sold. That’s why it’s being gutted slowly, and will be converted into a women’s shelter later this year.”
Old 05-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #2739
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
From a thread on the FB RA Archive, dated yesterday, regarding a very quiet PAX-AM studio:

“We’re getting ready to leave LA for the day and head back home, but just stopped by one more time. Still nothing, BUT we ran back into 711 for a water and met the manager. He actually knows Ryan and refers to him by name, and he said that he’s heard that paxam is in the process of being sold. That’s why it’s being gutted slowly, and will be converted into a women’s shelter later this year.”
"converted into a women's shelter" just seems too good to be true.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #2740
fr79

fr79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if the guy at the 7eleven said its being turned into a womens shelter then it must be true.

Not sure what kind of womens shelter they can make out of what looks like ...3 small rooms.

More likely, he doesnt own it, no plans for any future music or need for rehearsal space so moving out to avoid paying rent on it.
fr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #2741
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear it is being converted into a comic book store/pinball arcade/Star Wars novelty shop with an added cat theme and Grateful Dead memorabilia, plus a Skyping Station in the back. The new owner, someone named David, claims the shop has nothing at all to do with Ryan Adams
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #2742
fr79

fr79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking out for that neon Paxam sign on ebay.
fr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #2743
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

The real victim in all of this is the Midnight Wave Podcast.
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #2744
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
"converted into a women's shelter" just seems too good to be true.
It really does.
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #2745
dmorgan1

I’m sceptical about the women’s shelter also, but a simple google search seems to turn a few places in LA being converted into women’s shelters. Perhaps temporary accomodation. I suppose it’s not impossible for it to happen but it’s probably the owner of the building not Ryan.

Only thing that seems to make some sense is PaxAM studios closing and his online store closing down too.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #2746
thebalvenie

Old 05-07-2019, 11:40 PM   #2747
No Need To Ban Me

No Need To Ban Me is an unknown quantity at this point

Turning Pax-Am into a women’s shelter would be a great outcome. Hopefully it’s true.
No Need To Ban Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #2748
thebalvenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Need To Ban Me View Post
Turning Pax-Am into a women’s shelter would be a great outcome. Hopefully it’s true.
fingers crossed!
Old 05-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #2749
danger8504

danger8504 is infamous around these parts

This entire thread/website =

1 - old white ppl who are douche bags

2 - delete and ban what you don't to hear, but yet "we are open" to conversation

3 - thebalvenie (holding onto some fanboy to cool hand Luke shit that is sad, bro remember you on the forums from early 2000, FYI you are still a douche) & and SydneyFan who cannot step away from a keyboard and has a power trip cause you have a keyboard

4 - fuck this website, clear why I never joined
danger8504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #2750
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger8504 View Post
This entire thread/website =

1 - old white ppl who are douche bags

2 - delete and ban what you don't to hear, but yet "we are open" to conversation

3 - thebalvenie (holding onto some fanboy to cool hand Luke shit that is sad, bro remember you on the forums from early 2000, FYI you are still a douche) & and SydneyFan who cannot step away from a keyboard and has a power trip cause you have a keyboard

4 - fuck this website, clear why I never joined
Things will be ok, don't get so upset.