TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 05-08-2019, 10:04 PM   #2751
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, and the Stans that love them.

Hot takes coming through...
Tim Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #2752
dmorgan1

dmorgan1 will become famous soon enough

Anyone give new Josh Ritter a listen? New Man sounds fairly pointed towards Ryan Adams current situation. Lyrically itís ambiguous enough that it may not be (compares to Isbellís Chaos and Clothes) but if itís not about him he needs to give it a good hard listen. Thought it might be considering Jason and Amandaís involvement on the album/track.
dmorgan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #2753
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorgan1 View Post
Anyone give new Josh Ritter a listen? New Man sounds fairly pointed towards Ryan Adams current situation. Lyrically itís ambiguous enough that it may not be (compares to Isbellís Chaos and Clothes) but if itís not about him he needs to give it a good hard listen. Thought it might be considering Jason and Amandaís involvement on the album/track.
I hadn't thought of that, but its a really good tune nonetheless.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #2754
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light
Ryan Adams, abuse, and the Stans that love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger8504 View Post
This entire thread/website =

1 - old white ppl who are douche bags

2 - delete and ban what you don't to hear, but yet "we are open" to conversation

3 - thebalvenie (holding onto some fanboy to cool hand Luke shit that is sad, bro remember you on the forums from early 2000, FYI you are still a douche) & and SydneyFan who cannot step away from a keyboard and has a power trip cause you have a keyboard

4 - fuck this website, clear why I never joined

^^ when you take one too many hits of the PaxAm sativa and hop on the message boards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:34 PM   #2755
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like Neal did a podcast and commented on Ryan. Doesnít seem to be released yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:08 AM   #2756
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

Quote:

2 - delete and ban what you don't to hear, but yet "we are open" to conversation

3 - thebalvenie (holding onto some fanboy to cool hand Luke shit that is sad, bro remember you on the forums from early 2000, FYI you are still a douche) & and SydneyFan who cannot step away from a keyboard and has a power trip cause you have a keyboard

Umm.....
Old 05-09-2019, 03:10 AM   #2757
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
Not to get too far off topic... but I've always thought the Black Crowes were derivative trash. Good performers/performances, but the music seems blatantly unoriginal. Add the brothers' stupid Oasis style infighting, and I'm out. I suppose I should hear CRB at some point, but was never inspired enough to do so. Neal's a hired gun for these bozos... part of studio musician life. You end up getting hired by these dumpster fire artists that keeping burning bridges, but somehow still have a career.
Black Crowes are indeed derivative... just like Ryan Adams. And Oasis.

EDIT: funniest interview I ever remember is when they asked the Oasis guy what "Wonderwall" was about apart from an attempt to co-opt George Harrison vibes. He had no answer.
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #2758
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:
He was playing it live well before the article broke, but I guess it could still be about him being a dick.

I'll be shocked if Neal says anything about Ryan on that podcast beyond, "It's a bummer, man."
folkjam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #2759
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by a devil in paradise View Post
Black Crowes are indeed derivative... just like Ryan Adams. And Oasis.

EDIT: funniest interview I ever remember is when they asked the Oasis guy what "Wonderwall" was about apart from an attempt to co-opt George Harrison vibes. He had no answer.
To be fair... almost everyone is derivative at the end of the day. I like Ryan's songs, voice, and emotive affect enough to overlook it. He made most of these influences his own. I've told this story too many times, I didn't like RA at first as I thought NY NY was a Black Crowes tune!

Oasis will always be known as beatlesque, but I don't think Liam's voice and attitude sounds like the Beatles.

With the Crowes, I really thought (apart from more modern recording production) that it was a stones or Stax song I hadn't heard. Chris' voice or lyrics never really stood out to me and the playing styles were textbook. At least RA and Oasis would have employed techniques and arrangements their influences would not have used.

I'm probably splitting hairs based on taste....

With Oasis' surly attitude, I'm surprised fisticuffs didn't break out on that interview!
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #2760
No Need To Ban Me

No Need To Ban Me is an unknown quantity at this point

I donít think derivative necessarily = bad.

Some derivative I really enjoy! For instance I like blues music, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, and the first few Black Crowes albums. All of those bands derived from the blues and/or each other and I know it and I donít care. Same can go for Ryanís Cold Roses/Grateful Dead phase.

On the other hand I enjoy the Clash but I never liked Green Day and theyíve always bothered me due to the fact that I thought they were poseurs and somehow insincere guess. Tears for Fears had an album that seemed to be harkening the Beatles that I thought was a swing and a miss. Then thereís Vanilla Ice......
No Need To Ban Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #2761
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

PAUL NEWMAN FOR LIFE!!!!
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #2762
holdon

holdon will become famous soon enough

https://twitter.com/wokeassblancas/s...57607718084611
holdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #2763
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
On my first listen through.
damn solid!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #2764
loveisreal

loveisreal can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdon View Post
I think this is just a troll. Julian Casablancas is the Frontman of the Strokes. Ryan once attacked him on social media. But this is a fake account. The real one is https://twitter.com/Casablancas_J
loveisreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #2765
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

FINALLY we hear from Neal!! I've been waiting so long to find out how I feel about this whole situation with my fave singer/songwriter. Now I shall KNOW how to feel. Drop the podcast, homies.
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #2766
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Old 05-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #2767
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Need To Ban Me View Post
I donít think derivative necessarily = bad.

Some derivative I really enjoy! For instance I like blues music, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, and the first few Black Crowes albums. All of those bands derived from the blues and/or each other and I know it and I donít care. Same can go for Ryanís Cold Roses/Grateful Dead phase.

On the other hand I enjoy the Clash but I never liked Green Day and theyíve always bothered me due to the fact that I thought they were poseurs and somehow insincere guess. Tears for Fears had an album that seemed to be harkening the Beatles that I thought was a swing and a miss. Then thereís Vanilla Ice......
Derivative can be fine. Good music is good music.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #2768
BigColors

BigColors will become famous soon enough

zZZZZzzzzZzzzzzZZZzZzzzzz
BigColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #2769
thebalvenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigColors View Post
zZZZZzzzzZzzzzzZZZzZzzzzz
: banana
Old 05-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #2770
BigColors

BigColors will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
: banana
Dude! You ever have a true authentic southern banana cream pie??

I havent...

I hear crazy cool things
BigColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:07 PM   #2771
Neftzger

Neftzger will become famous soon enough

I'm dealing with a lot right now, not all bad! But a lot nonetheless.. My friend put on some of love is hell several minutes ago. I heard avalanche, an i'm listening to city rain, city streets. It's fucking amazing. That is all.
Neftzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:12 AM   #2772
I dont care
I don't care even less

I dont care is just really niceI dont care is just really niceI dont care is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
We talking solo songwriting (music and lyrics)?

Kanye
Thom Yorke
James Murphy
Kanye can only sample and use a drum machine, shouldn't that exclude him?
I dont care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:44 AM   #2773
dmorgan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
He was playing it live well before the article broke, but I guess it could still be about him being a dick.

I'll be shocked if Neal says anything about Ryan on that podcast beyond, "It's a bummer, man."

Yeah I did find some live clips that had been circulating well before the article on Ryan dropped. I admit I was probably looking for it, but lyrically itís universal enough it couldíve been about someone or no one specific.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #2774
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by I dont care View Post
Kanye can only sample and use a drum machine, shouldn't that exclude him?
Is that not creating music?
Tim Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #2775
dmorgan1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...re_fbia-middle
Sponsored Links