TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Documentary Recommendations

Old 11-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Documentary Recommendations

Any documentary fans out there?

I watched Jesus Camp recently, which follows a group of kids in the US attending evangelical camp over summer. It's totally fascinating in a scary kind of way.

Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Documentary Recommendations

I love documentaries, and these are my two favorites:

The Fog Of War -- A somewhat biographical film about Robert McNamara, Secretary of Defense during the Vietnam War.

Dear America: Letters Home From Vietnam -- Readings of letters to home from Vietnam solders, overtop of news footage of the war itself. It's heartbreaking.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

raisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Any documentary fans out there?

I watched Jesus Camp recently, which follows a group of kids in the US attending evangelical camp over summer. It's totally fascinating in a scary kind of way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RNfL6IVWCE
I spend a very large portion of my childhood at camps like those.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyglass View Post
I spend a very large portion of my childhood at camps like those.
Wow, really. If you don't mind me asking, do you still have a strong Christian faith as an adult?
Old 11-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

raisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to behold

My father is a pastor and was in charge of running the camps for kids grades 3-6. I spent 6 weeks every summer there from when I was 8 until around 15 ( when I was old enough to be trusted at home, which usually ended in disaster for me.)

I hated it as a kid and didn't have strong beliefs then. I still don't have strong beliefs, but my overall christian beliefs would be considered counter to what most CHristians teach.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyglass View Post
My father is a pastor and was in charge of running the camps for kids grades 3-6. I spent 6 weeks every summer there from when I was 8 until around 15 ( when I was old enough to be trusted at home, which usually ended in disaster for me.)

I hated it as a kid and didn't have strong beliefs then. I still don't have strong beliefs, but my overall christian beliefs would be considered counter to what most CHristians teach.
Cool, thanks. The camp they portrayed in the doco looked slightly insane tbh. At one point they asked the children to pray and speak in tongues to a cardboard cut out of George Bush.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

W or H.W.?
Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
W or H.W.?

George W. What was funny was that they told the children..." now we have a special guest..the President....etc" and I was thinking, omg, George W really did go after the Christian vote in a big way. Then they carried this cardboard cutout on stage. It was as if nobody realised it was cardboard.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

There's not much of a difference between real GWB and cardboard GWB. Heyooo!!
Old 11-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
There's not much of a difference between real GWB and cardboard GWB. Heyooo!!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Good Hair is a great documentary too. Narrated by Chris Rock, it shows how much effort black ladies go to to maintain their hair:

And I've never seen a documentary from PBS's American Experience series that I haven't loved. Especially the Presidents series:
Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
Sydneyfan

Bus 174 is one of my all-time favourites. Using incredible real (and pretty confronting) news footage, it tells the story of a bus full of passengers who were hijacked by a lone gunman in Rio several years ago.
It also reveals the depth of corruption in the Brazilian police force and the terrible poverty that so many people are forced to endure there.

It was recently made into a movie of the same name, which I haven't got around to seeing yet. Can't find a trailer either.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Has anybody seen Who is Harry Nilsson? (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)? I've heard good things about it and need to track it down (apparently it's on DVD/Netflix now):

http://www.authorizedpix.com/wihn_home.html
Old 11-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
radioradi0

radioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to all

I heard good things about Comedian, which is basically about the lives of professional comedians. Jerry Seinfeld was involved in the making of the film, I think. He's definitely in it.

Just checked it out (from the library), and will report back about it.

Last edited by radioradi0; 11-26-2010 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: added "from the library"... I didn't see it yet. :P
radioradi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of

On Amazon this has 49 reviews, 47 of which are 5-star ratings. I'm not sure if these are shown anywhere other than in the UK, but they're absolutely superb.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #16
Sydneyfan

Watched Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired last night. It provides a really interesting look at what went on behind the scenes of his rape trial, including interviews with lawyers, police, the victim and close friends of Polanski. It doesn't even bother trying to question whether he was guilty or innocent of having sex with a 13 year old; the evidence makes it pretty clear he did. It does attempt to justify his behaviour though - wife murdered, parents gassed by the Germans etc. For all that Polanski comes across as a brilliant and yet oddly unknowable man who seems to lack any kind of moral compass.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #17
Sydneyfan

The Snowman - it won some major doco awards here last year. A woman tries to discover what caused her father's sudden plunge into insanity 30 years earlier. Of interest to no-one but me is the fact much of the story takes place in my hometown and the family's farm is about a 15 minute drive from my parent's farm.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

That looks really interesting.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #19
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Brown View Post
That looks really interesting.
Yup, it's done in a very low key, highly personal way that's very engaging. And pretty sad too.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #20
robotulism
not really here

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

Oh man, my netflix queue is just full of documentaries. (Actually Jesus Camp is the next one on my list, followed by Very Young Girls, that I am also looking forward to watching.)

But, the most touching documentary I have ever seen is still Dear Zachary . . .
robotulism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #21
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

GoodSkanky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #22
Sydneyfan

I really enjoyed 'Tabloid'. An interesting character study of a woman who gives the term 'obsessive' new meaning. Doesn't provide a lot of answers to the questions it raises along the way, but it's a fun ride anyhow.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #23
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
Is that as funky as it sounds??
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #24
Sydneyfan

Loved this. It's about a controversial 1970's experiment involving a baby chimp called Nim. Sad and very revealing about the less pleasant facets of human nature.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #25
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Last month ESPN's 30 For 30 series showed a documentary on Bo Jackson, and it was great. They guy is somewhat quiet, but he knows exactly how amazingly good he was. At everything.

Tags
documentaries, doumentary, recommendations