TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Need dog recommendations

Old 08-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Maven

Maven has a spectacular aura about
Need dog recommendations

I've decided a need a new dog to cheer me up now that life's not as fun since I'm no longer boozing it up. It will help distract me, plus I've wanted a dog for a loooonnnnngggg time. I want a nice mellow dog that isn't going to be a chronic barker or jump up on people (my two pet peeves with dogs).

(Yes, I am perfectly willing to take him to obedience classes).

I want a small to mid-sized dog. Not too much of a shedder, as my mom will have a fit if he sheds all over the house (as if our two cats don't.... ha!). I'm leaning towards a Cairn Terrier. Any recommendations?
Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
bruit
Yo Fat Chow

bruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to behold
Re: Need dog recommendations

I have one for you.

I can send him first class tomorrow. He comes with his own cage, leash and collar. Not to mention his insurance policy.

He is neutared, (ha) professionally trained and is very lovable.

PM me your address immediatly. I will wait right here.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruit View Post
I have one for you.

I can send him first class tomorrow. He comes with his own cage, leash and collar. Not to mention his insurance policy.

Ahem.
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
I have one for you.

This reminded me of this thread: http://www.tobeyoung.org/showthread.php?t=22950
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

My friends just bought a labradoodle. They don't shed and he doesn't seem to jump up on people much. They have two two small kids and they wanted a dog that would be fairly placid. So far they are happy with him.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

When I finally get a dog it's going to be a Beagle.

Spoiler:

Last edited by lukin; 08-02-2009 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Found a better picture
Old 08-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Maven

Quote:
I have one for you.

Oh, right. I believe you like I believe that Ryan has 99 holes in his head.

Anyhow, I pretty much have my heart set on a terrier mix, and I've found a few on Petfinder.com that I'm going to check out next week. Hard to believe the kind of money they want though; even the rescue groups charge about $150 up to adopt a dog? Isn't there a cheaper way to get a dog than that? I've checked with the animal shelters around here too: about the cheapest I can find is $120 to adopt a dog. What happened to the days when free puppies were offered through the newspapers?????
Old 08-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven View Post
Isn't there a cheaper way to get a dog than that?
Fill your pockets with steak and go for a walk around the neighbourhood.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
Maven

I have a friend who has a labradoodle, and he's a bit more hyper and bigger than I want in a dog. My sister used to have a Beagle -- the most stubborn dog that ever lived. It finally got killed by a mountain lion: now they have a malamute/lab cross who is super energetic and a Bernese Mountain Dog who is surprisingly mellow but WAY too huge for what I want (it's a nice thing to get if you want a pony but don't have the zoning for one). I want a dog that I can lift into my car if it needs to be coz it's sick or something, and I want a dog small enough to cuddle with me on the couch when I'm watching TV and who won't slobber all over me too much in the process. I know: I'm picky picky picky.

I have done a lot of research, on dog breeds, and I think a terrier mix is my best bet. I'm not dead set on a purebred either: I'd rather get a shelter dog or through one of the Rescue Groups.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
Maven

I'm going to look at this dog tomorrow, whose being fostered through a rescue group. Cute, no???

Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

Get a sausage dog. Never seen one of them bark.
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have one for you.

And you don't even need to feed him because he just eats whatever's laying around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Eviel View Post
Get a sausage dog. Never seen one of them bark.
They also are delicious with some spicy mustard.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
Sydneyfan

Those Chinese Crested dogs look like a lot of fun...

Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #14
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Is that thing even alive?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
Is that thing even alive?
I think so. They always hang their tongues out like that. Unless one of its owner's lovely painted nails pierced an artery or something.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #16
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

That dog is the Gene Simmons of dogs.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #17
Sydneyfan

Or maybe this one is Gene...

Old 08-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #18
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Who the F would want to own these dogs?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #19
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Who the F would want to own these dogs?
I have no idea. Although I hope my efforts in this thread have have convinced Maven to get one now.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #20
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven View Post
Oh, right. I believe you like I believe that Ryan has 99 holes in his head.

Anyhow, I pretty much have my heart set on a terrier mix, and I've found a few on Petfinder.com that I'm going to check out next week. Hard to believe the kind of money they want though; even the rescue groups charge about $150 up to adopt a dog? Isn't there a cheaper way to get a dog than that? I've checked with the animal shelters around here too: about the cheapest I can find is $120 to adopt a dog. What happened to the days when free puppies were offered through the newspapers?????
I think shelters charge adoption fees to help support all the care (shelter/food/medical care/spaying or neutering, etc.) they've given the dog/cat you adopt, and from what I've heard, to keep people from just adopting animals willy-nilly without putting some real thought into it. $150 is NOTHING compared to what caring for a dog for it's whole life is going to cost... heck, one trip to the vet will top that. And most shelters won't let animals out without spaying or neutering them first. If you find a free puppy in the newspaper from someone's accidental litter, you'd probably spend that $150 to go get it spayed/neutered anyways (I hope!). Sorry if I sounded preachy, but yeah, if you're wincing at $150 to adopt the dog you should probably think twice about getting it in the first place.

The San Francisco SPCA won't even let you adopt a dog without paying for their obedience classes, because they know dogs that don't go through obedience class are more likely to wind up back in the shelter when new owners get fed up with bad behaviors. I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #21
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cienega View Post
I think shelters charge adoption fees to help support all the care (shelter/food/medical care/spaying or neutering, etc.) they've given the dog/cat you adopt, and from what I've heard, to keep people from just adopting animals willy-nilly without putting some real thought into it. $150 is NOTHING compared to what caring for a dog for it's whole life is going to cost... heck, one trip to the vet will top that. And most shelters won't let animals out without spaying or neutering them first. If you find a free puppy in the newspaper from someone's accidental litter, you'd probably spend that $150 to go get it spayed/neutered anyways (I hope!).
I totally agree with you. My cat adoptions cost included spaying/neutering, tattoo and a microchip, plus the other shelter costs.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #22
Sydneyfan

I paid $100 each for my two shelter kittens. That included vet check, deworming, microchipping and a blood test to check they didn't have any identifiable hereditary diseases, health problems etc. I also was able to have them both neutered for half price at a local vet because I got them from the shelter.
And, as la said, they need to charge not only to cover costs, but to ensure that people don't just take these animals on a passing whim. If you give them away, it makes it too easy for foolish people to fall in love with the cute kitten and then abandon it in six months time when they grow bored with it.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #23
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
I totally agree with you. My cat adoptions cost included spaying/neutering, tattoo and a microchip, plus the other shelter costs.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #24
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

seriously! who knew hank was such a badass!

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #25
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I paid $100 each for my two shelter kittens. That included vet check, deworming, microchipping and a blood test to check they didn't have any identifiable hereditary diseases, health problems etc. I also was able to have them both neutered for half price at a local vet because I got them from the shelter.
And, as la said, they need to charge not only to cover costs, but to ensure that people don't just take these animals on a passing whim. If you give them away, it makes it too easy for foolish people to fall in love with the cute kitten and then abandon it in six months time when they grow bored with it.
Not to mention people going and getting free dogs for cage fights.
Sponsored Links

Tags
dogs, pets, yoshi rules