TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Exercise Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
Janneke

Janneke is a jewel in the roughJanneke is a jewel in the rough
Exercise Thread

Thought this might be a nice thread to start. We can talk about what we do to stay in shape and/or if we have any goals to obtain a slimmer or more muscular body.

For a month I've been doing a 1500 calorie diet (with more protein) + daily exersize ranging from 30 minutes to 2 hours. (it's the holiday season, I've got plenty of free time so)

I've got a healthy weight but I'm trying to get more muscular around the tummy and arms and I'm trying to lose some fat (tummy). I'm just cycling, walking and swimming mainly. And I do a bit of Jillian Michael's workouts twice a week.

I'd post a picture of my awesome looking abs, but since I don't have many abs yet, I'll refrain from doing that until future, more ab-full times. :p

And I don't have a scale to weigh myself on, but I assume I'm doing ok on this diet + exercise plan.

Anyhoo, fire away. Tell me all about the exercise you do.

Last edited by Janneke; 07-18-2014 at 10:24 AM..
Janneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold
Re: Exersize Thread

I hate gyms and I don't run, so I walk everywhere. I routinely use my lunch hour to go for a long walk around the city.

I was reading an article recently about something called intuitive eating. One of my housemates is a naturopath and she has postulated that the foods we eat are reflections of our emotional and mental states. When we feel like shit, we eat like shit. When we're feeling balanced, so is our diet.

About a year or so after my break up I went through a massive transition that manifested itself in various ways, down to my change in diet. I stopped craving red meat, cheese, beer, and most carbs. I didn't change anything exercise wise, just kept doing my normal lunch hour walk. Ending up losing about 10 or 15 kilos last year and I'm now the fittest I've ever been. A bunch of women at work have been asking what fad diet I've been doing. I told them there was no diet, I just ate what I wanted.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I bought a bike a couple of weeks ago. I've been for two rides so far, a 14km and a 24km.

I'm going to try to go for a big ride every weekend and then a few shorter ones at night (can't do the night time ones at the moment because my girlfriend is away and I can't leave the kid at home alone). But in a week or so I'll be into it and getting some regular exercise.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Nice Lukin. I love to ride. A few years ago when I had more time I would mountain bike every week. Now I only have time for the streets. It's still great.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I need to get fitted for my wedding so I aim to shed a few pounds in the next month.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

the thread title bothers me
Old 07-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I need to get fitted for my wedding so I aim to shed a few pounds in the next month.
what type of work will you put in?
Old 07-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Jack, the key to shedding pounds is diet first and foremost, just keep that in consideration as you go about it.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Anytime I've quit booze for a couple weeks I've dropped 5-10 lbs.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Yup. Can't exercise your way out of a terrible diet.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
JackStark211

Yeah, I need to eat better on the weekend. I do well during the week.

I plan on just sticking to bike rides and running. I will do some lifting. My metabolism is pretty high so it shouldn't be too hard once I get a rhythm.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to all

if only i could stop drinking beer.....

that won't happen anytime soon

i play Squash 4-5 days a week and play for 1.5 to 2 hours a time

awesome fun cardio....i've read that it's better than boxing or playing one-on-one basketball

i believe it...it's high fast paced...often during rallies it leaves you just breathless and if you get to play with someone at your level you get in great shape

also lift lots of heavy weights and go hiking as much as possible

protein shakes in the morning and after the gym
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
I hate gyms and I don't run, so I walk everywhere. I routinely use my lunch hour to go for a long walk around the city.

I was reading an article recently about something called intuitive eating. One of my housemates is a naturopath and she has postulated that the foods we eat are reflections of our emotional and mental states. When we feel like shit, we eat like shit. When we're feeling balanced, so is our diet.

About a year or so after my break up I went through a massive transition that manifested itself in various ways, down to my change in diet. I stopped craving red meat, cheese, beer, and most carbs. I didn't change anything exercise wise, just kept doing my normal lunch hour walk. Ending up losing about 10 or 15 kilos last year and I'm now the fittest I've ever been. A bunch of women at work have been asking what fad diet I've been doing. I told them there was no diet, I just ate what I wanted.
i like to walk too

i'll just get up from the desk and go walk a couple miles or so as a "break" instead of sitting there all day long
Old 07-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #14
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
yup
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #15
sadie7
slow down

sadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of light

should talk diet too

Been doing Paleo diet for 16 days now, verdict is still out and will be for awhile.
sadie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:54 AM   #16
Janneke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm a non native English speaker, so enlighten me please. Feel free to change it if that works better for you.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:01 AM   #17
Janneke

I'm still going strong. Think I lost a bit of weight, tummy looks. A lot better, but I can't do the youtube videos anymore because it hurts my knees and nerves from my lower back down to my legs (really scary). So I'm just walking and cycling with my bike that only has three gears. It's a toughie in Ireland. Good to read what everyone else is doing. That intuitive eating sounds interesting.

Ps: does anyone have any tips for people with milk allergie and how to get enough calcium in your diet. I drink like ricemilk with added calcium but that's about it.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #18
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Those calcium gummy bears?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #19
Tim Simmons

Exercise
Old 07-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #20
thebalvenie

Re: Exercise Thread

i use the thigh master

and follow that up w/ fried chicken thighs

and a beer(s)
Old 07-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #21
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

So on my last birthday I decided it was finally time to go on a diet and exercise more. I set a goal of losing 90lbs in a year, and right now I've lost 72. This was done almost exclusively by making big diet changes and am now convinced that most weight loss is a result of your diet.

I do less exercise than I should, but it primarily consists of running on the elliptical, taking long walks around the neighborhood with my pup, and doing body resistance exercises, primarily focusing on core work.

Janneke, with regards to your calcium issue, look for a good multi-vitamin. They shouldn't be viewed as an end all, be all solution to your issue, but a good vitamin supplement can target any deficiencies you might have in your diet. Look for one that has calcium in it (duh), but also one that has a good amount of vitamin D, which helps with calcium absorption
Old 07-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #22
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILMORE104 View Post
So on my last birthday I decided it was finally time to go on a diet and exercise more. I set a goal of losing 90lbs in a year, and right now I've lost 72. This was done almost exclusively by making big diet changes and am now convinced that most weight loss is a result of your diet.

I do less exercise than I should, but it primarily consists of running on the elliptical, taking long walks around the neighborhood with my pup, and doing body resistance exercises, primarily focusing on core work.

Janneke, with regards to your calcium issue, look for a good multi-vitamin. They shouldn't be viewed as an end all, be all solution to your issue, but a good vitamin supplement can target any deficiencies you might have in your diet. Look for one that has calcium in it (duh), but also one that has a good amount of vitamin D, which helps with calcium absorption
That is awesome. I totally agree about diet being key.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #23
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie7 View Post
should talk diet too

Been doing Paleo diet for 16 days now, verdict is still out and will be for awhile.
I'm 5 days in, but doing this Whole 30 thing for 30 days - it's pretty much Paleo but even more restrictive.

My girlfriend was going to do it so I said, sure why not, I'll do it too. I drink far to many sugary drinks and eat way too much sugar so figured if I did this it would be a good way to cut all that out (and more - obviously no alcohol will be good).

I bought a bike recently and have done some good long rides, unfortunately only on the weekends because I can only do the evenings during the week and it's winter so it's been too freaking cold.

One of the rules is you can't weigh yourself throughout the 30 days so I'll be interested to see how much I drop by the end of it.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #24
sadie7
slow down

sadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
I'm 5 days in, but doing this Whole 30 thing for 30 days - it's pretty much Paleo but even more restrictive.

My girlfriend was going to do it so I said, sure why not, I'll do it too. I drink far to many sugary drinks and eat way too much sugar so figured if I did this it would be a good way to cut all that out (and more - obviously no alcohol will be good).

I bought a bike recently and have done some good long rides, unfortunately only on the weekends because I can only do the evenings during the week and it's winter so it's been too freaking cold.

One of the rules is you can't weigh yourself throughout the 30 days so I'll be interested to see how much I drop by the end of it.
I wish you the best with it. I do not weigh myself either, I will just know by the way I feel and how the clothes are fitting.

I had some cake last night for my birthday treat, and I feel quite dizzzy or lightheaded this morning but the blood sugar is fine.

This has been the hardest diet I have ever been on, the restriction is one thing for sure, but I also think my age is another. Mentally and physically I have a hard time denying myself pleasures - and i think food will always be a pleasure
sadie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #25
JackStark211

I basically ate an entire pizza last night. I feel bloated today.