TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Ghost Town > The National Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

The National to perform "Sorrow" for 6 straight hours

Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In celebration of this season’s last Sunday Sessions, MoMA PS1 presents the durational performance, A Lot of Sorrow, by Icelandic artist Ragnar Kjartansson. For the original work Kjartansson sought out US rock band, The National, to perform their song, Sorrow, repeatedly in a six-hour live loop. By stretching a single pop song into a day-long tour de force the artist continues his explorations into the potential of repetitive performance to produce sculptural presence within sound.

Sorrow found me when I was young,
Sorrow waited, sorrow won

commences the song by The National, whose music and lyrics repeatedly conjure notions of romantic suffering and contemporary Weltschmerz—themes Kjartansson often uses in his own work employing references as wide-ranging as Ingmar Bergman, the German Romantics, and Elvis Presley. As in all of Kjartansson’s performances, the idea behind A Lot of Sorrow is devoid of irony, yet full of humor and emotion. It is another quest to find the comic in the tragic and vice versa.
http://momaps1.org/calendar/view/439/
Old 04-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
risa
Top Poster!!

risa is a name known to allrisa is a name known to allrisa is a name known to allrisa is a name known to all
Re: The National to perform "Sorrow" for 6 straight hours

no thank you.
risa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be down. But I'd probably never listen to the song again.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I kinda hate talk like this, but Sorrow is a better opener for the album than Terrible Love.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

No interested in this at all.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
risa
Top Poster!!

risa is a name known to allrisa is a name known to allrisa is a name known to allrisa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I kinda hate talk like this, but Sorrow is a better opener for the album than Terrible Love.
go to this thing and tell them that.
risa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Tim Simmons

They won't play this song ever again after this thing.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

So The National are actually performing Sorrow for six hours???? They arn't having just a lil boombox play it?? Do they get to go to the bathroom, or do they have to Jack Bauer it???
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm familiar with big experimental/avant garde classical things that go along these lines length wise. Morton Feldman... John Cage... some Steve Reich, etc.

Based on their side projects, I could see The National being down with this.

As long as they don't have to play the actual song verbatim, it could be really interesting.

Remember that bit at the end of Wilco's YHF where there's chords from Reservations plodding along atmospherically in half time?

If they did some meditative open form things on the chords instrumentally for sections, it could be very cool (for the completely committed).
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone go today? I think it's over now
Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Tim Simmons

Set list?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

Old 05-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

nice!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:36 AM   #14
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Fuck.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
J_Bizness

There are some vids from it up on youtube now

and a page witha bunch of them

http://pitchfork.com/news/50613-watc...moma-ps1-show/
Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
JackStark211

I have nothing to say.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #17
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Two days later:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-na...y-3d87583.html

Obviously 105 times or whatever wasn't enough to put them off Sorrow, because it's in there.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Rob
Administrator

Aaron says

Quote:
"Actually as the hours went on I think we all realized that this experience was something special for us -- there was a weird hypnotic resonance and spirituality to repeating the song over and over. We almost didn't want to stop and we learned something about our capacity for endurance and the song opened up in surprising ways... By the end it didn't feel like we were playing it anymore. We know the idea seemed pretentious in some way, but [artist] Ragnar [Kjartansson] has this mix of humor and sadness that feels quite similar to what our songs are about... We're very glad to have done it."
Old 05-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Aaron says
I figured that'd be the case for them. I get it. I still wonder if they did any extended breaks or re-arrangements during the course of this.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
Rob
Administrator

Quote:
I think we are actually planning to release a 6 hour vinyl version of that performance for charity. Seriously. Hope it happens.
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...tw9v?context=3
Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
Rob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
I figured that'd be the case for them. I get it. I still wonder if they did any extended breaks or re-arrangements during the course of this.
From this person's question and the response it sounds like they expanded on the song throughout the day:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...tn6g?context=3
Old 05-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #22
Tim Simmons

will buy!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #23
GoodSkanky

They rule...
Old 04-09-2015, 11:11 PM   #24
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

So this is getting released as a vinyl box set. I think I've finally found the limit to how much of a completist I am when it comes to this band. If this had been 10 days ago I would have thought it was an April Fools joke.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:22 AM   #25
thesewoodenideas

thesewoodenideas will become famous soon enough

I love the National and have everything they've released on vinyl so far but I'll be passing on this. They could have put out so many better live shows, unreleased stuff, their movie soundtrack songs heck even their Bob's Burgers songs and I'd have bought them as would many others I'm sure. But 6 hours of them playing one song I'm not even a huge fan of in it's album form? No thanks guys. I wish them well with raising money for charity but this release is nonsense.
People are gonna buy this and it will sit on their shelf. Can't imagine getting home after a hard days work, getting a cold beer and flicking through LPs and deciding "hmmm think I'll listen to disc 7 of Sorrow tonight!".
Each to their own though.
thesewoodenideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
moma ps1, sorrow