TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous/Amusing News Items

Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #101
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold
Re: Miscellaneous/Amusing News Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Warm here too.

I'm asleep almost all the time now.
Q I think you need a new banner "dormouse" or "sloth". Sleeps and eats.

Its 87-90 where I am and I'm being pretty slothful although I manage to rouse myself at gin and tonic time.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #102
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

Quote:
Fair dinkum! Aussie lingo sparks security scare

Strewth. Crikey. Bloody hell. An Australian woman has reportedly sparked a security scare aboard a US flight after her use of a common Australian phrase was apparently misinterpreted as an act of aggression.
Sophie Reynolds, 41, from Queanbeyan, was flying aboard SkyWest Airlines from Atlanta to Pittsburgh this week when she asked a flight attendant if she could have a pack of pretzels instead of crackers.
"[The flight attendant] said they didn't have any [pretzels], and I said, 'Fair dinkum,' out of frustration," Reynolds was quoted as saying in the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Before she knew it a second flight attendant asked her for her passport and copied down her name.
Then, when the flight landed, three uniformed officers greeted her.
"They said, 'You swore at the hostess and there are federal rules against that,"' Reynolds said. "And I said, 'I did not swear at the hostess, I just said 'fair dinkum."'
A spokeswoman for the airline said it was not simply a matter of misunderstanding the language.
"We witnessed aggressive behaviour throughout the flight," she said.
Reynolds was not charged and allowed to go on her way, she said.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #103
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky for the hostess they hadn't run out of beer as well.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #104
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of

What does fair dinkum mean?
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #105
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded Rose View Post
Q I think you need a new banner "dormouse" or "sloth". Sleeps and eats.

Its 87-90 where I am and I'm being pretty slothful although I manage to rouse myself at gin and tonic time.
Useless kind of covers a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone View Post

Fair enough, i think.

Sorry?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #106
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It sort of depends on the context. If I said someone was a "fair dinkum bloke" it would mean I thought he was honest, genuine and fair.

But if it's said in the context of frustration, the meaning is more like "are you serious?".
Old 08-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #107
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

that'll learn me, obviously neighbours isn't enough to get the hang of this

Sorry?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #108
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of

Lion Kisses Rescuer

http://www.dafun.de/Loewe_liebt_Menschen_2821

And a big, fat "Awwww!"
Old 08-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #109
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

This is part of a quote from today's Daily Mail :

The perfectly preserved penis of a 12,000 year old walrus, found in a frozen Siberian lake, is to be offered for sale on August 26 at I M Chait's auction house in Beverley Hills. It is described as "the largest mammal member ever found...."

What sort of person buys a preserved penis - large or otherwise? I mean - do you have it on show in your sitting room or what? It will be interesting how much it is actually sold for
Old 08-17-2007, 01:03 PM   #110
blueone

I want to know how the Walrus parted ways with his penis.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #111
FrigidRoses
Choke

FrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud of

I didn't think of that. Good point.
FrigidRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #112
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

May be the penis was the only bit left after the rest of the walrus had disintegrated....Maybe penises are more resistant to decay than the rest of the body...
Old 08-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #113
blueone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded Rose View Post
May be the penis was the only bit left after the rest of the walrus had disintegrated....Maybe penises are more resistant to decay than the rest of the body...
We need our penis expert, C, to confirm if this is true or not.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #114
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
We need our penis expert, C, to confirm if this is true or not.
Sparky says:

Old 08-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #115
blueone

You know the plural so you're obviously some sort of expert.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #116
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

The Chinese believe that consuming the dangly bits of some animals (like bears, tigers etc) is an aphrodesiac. So maybe the walrus fell prey to an unhappy Chinese caveman.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #117
blueone

They were turned on by animal willies?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #118
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
They were turned on by animal willies?
ha, not exactly. They cut them off, dried them, ground them up into powder and then put the powder into a drink. Some still do in fact.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #119
blueone

Can't find an article but I was just watching the local news and, apparently, a crazed farmer drove a tractor through my village last night and, gasp, took out several fences.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #120
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Can't find an article but I was just watching the local news and, apparently, a crazed farmer drove a tractor through my village last night and, gasp, took out several fences.
If they were electric fences it would be even more exciting.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #121
blueone

That would have made national news, you can bet on that.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #122
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Quote:
Your village is obviously a hotbed of rebellion.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #123
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

This was in readers letters commenting on A level results:

"I have just heard on the radio an interview with an A level candidate. His curious mix of subjects was religious studies, chemistry and politics.

Should we be worried?"
Old 08-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #124
ehats222

Hey I found a great website at www.tobeyoung.org -- any england supporter get one of these and fill the stadium with these novelties next time!!!!!!!!
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 08-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #125
Quincy
1up

Sorry?
Sponsored Links