TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous/Amusing News Items

Old 08-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #126
FrigidRoses
Choke

FrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud of
Re: Miscellaneous/Amusing News Items

Alberto Gonzales Resigns!!!

He won't be missed.
FrigidRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:29 AM   #127
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

This looks like fun....

Quote:
A Japanese game maker is withdrawing arm-wrestling machines from arcades after three players broke their arms.

The game allowed players to choose a strength level from 10 characters, ranging from a maid to a professional wrestler, and face off with an artificial arm on the other side of the table.

A 25-year-old South Korean man broke his right arm while playing the game in Osaka, while a 19-year-old Frenchman and 24-year-old Japanese man also suffered arm fractures, the company said.

Atlus, a Tokyo-based arcade game maker, said it would remove the 155 of the machines, which were put into service just a month ago.

"We had done careful simulations on the possibility of injuries before putting it on sale, but unexpected accidents can happen with game machines when people are too excited or fail to follow instructions," a company spokeswoman said.

"But I'm afraid some foreign nationals couldn't understand the instructions well as it was written only in Japanese."
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:49 AM   #128
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

Oh what fun!
Even if the instructions were written in Engrish, foreign nationals still would not understand
Old 08-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #129
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

Only in Japan I imagine.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #130
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of

That machine looks scary...
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #131
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of

The iron bars really don't help.

"Steal the arm, not the monitor!!"
Old 09-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #132
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Entomologists are debating the origin and rarity of a sprawling spider web that blankets several trees, shrubs and the ground along a 200-yard stretch of trail in a North Texas park.

Officials at Lake Tawakoni State Park say the massive mosquito trap is a big attraction for some visitors, while others won't go anywhere near it.

"At first, it was so white it looked like fairyland," said Donna Garde, superintendent of the park about 45 miles east of Dallas. "Now it's filled with so many mosquitoes that it's turned a little brown. There are times you can literally hear the screech of millions of mosquitoes caught in those webs."

Spider experts say the web may have been constructed by social cobweb spiders, which work together, or could be the result of a mass dispersal in which the arachnids spin webs to spread out from one another.

"I've been hearing from entomologists from Ohio, Kansas, British Columbia - all over the place," said Mike Quinn, an invertebrate biologist with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department who first posted photos online.

Herbert A. "Joe" Pase, a Texas Forest Service entomologist, said the massive web is very unusual.

"From what I'm hearing it could be a once-in-a-lifetime event," he said.

Yikes.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #133
FrigidRoses
Choke

FrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud of

I read about that and it freaked me out. I hate spiders!
Old 09-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #134
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

I know it's made by thousands of little spiders...but in my imagination, that web is made by one, gigantic, incredibly ugly super-spider.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #135
blueone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
in my imagination, that web is made by one, gigantic, incredibly ugly super-spider.
That type of stuff happens on a daily basis in Australia, doesn't it?
Old 09-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #136
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone View Post
That type of stuff happens on a daily basis in Australia, doesn't it?
That photo is actually taken in my backyard. I'm the guy on the left.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #137
blueone

Hai C. Nice shortz.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #138
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone View Post
Hai C. Nice shortz.
Envy my hotness.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #139
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

Quote:
I know it's made by thousands of little spiders...but in my imagination, that web is made by one, gigantic, incredibly ugly super-spider.
Whoa, before I read the article, I thought it was spun by one humongous spider *shudders*
Old 09-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #140
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

I saw that on TV. Even the thought of that many tiny spiders gives me goosebumps.

Isn't it true that Australia has more poisonous spiders and snakes than any other country in the world (well according to Bill Bryson that's the case).
Old 09-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #141
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded Rose View Post
I saw that on TV. Even the thought of that many tiny spiders gives me goosebumps.

Isn't it true that Australia has more poisonous spiders and snakes than any other country in the world (well according to Bill Bryson that's the case).
I think that's true, yep. I think we do pretty well on the "fish that can kill you" charts as well.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #142
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Quote:
I think that's true, yep. I think we do pretty well on the "fish that can kill you" charts as well.
And to think you want more Brits to come and work over there - not very enticing is it. Come on over - we have more things to kill you than you ever dreamed about.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #143
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded Rose View Post
And to think you want more Brits to come and work over there - not very enticing is it. Come on over - we have more things to kill you than you ever dreamed about.

The truth is that most of those dangerous critters are even more scared of people than we are of them. And a lot of the really deadly ones aren't commonly found in urban areas anyhow. Very few people die from snake and spider bites in Australia.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #144
FrigidRoses
Choke

Do you have Panthers in Oz?
Old 09-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #145
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrigidRoses View Post
Do you have Panthers in Oz?
No, no panthers. In fact, no big cats at all.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #146
FrigidRoses
Choke

Quote:
No, no panthers. In fact, no big cats at all.

I hate big cats.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #147
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrigidRoses View Post

I hate big cats.
I suspect all the snakes killed them.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #148
Starlite
Yay.

Quote:
No, no panthers.
According to urban legend, one has been sighted west of Sydney.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/...180165887.html

Quote:
In fact, no big cats at all.
The damn feral cats - they're pretty big .
Old 09-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #149
FrigidRoses
Choke

It's like a Big Foot picture or something.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #150
Starlite
Yay.

Digital smiley turns 25 today

Twenty-five years ago, Carnegie Mellon University professor Scott E. Fahlman says, he was the first to use three keystrokes - a colon followed by a hyphen and a parenthesis - as a horizontal "smiley face" in a computer message.

Fahlman posted the emoticon in a message to an online electronic bulletin board at 11:44am on September 19, 1982, during a discussion about the limits of online humour and how to denote comments meant to be taken lightly.

"I propose the following character sequence for joke markers: :-)," wrote Fahlman. "Read it sideways."

:-)

Message boards back in '82? It couldn't have been very active. I mean, how even knew about the internet back then?