TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous/Amusing News Items

Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #201
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of
Re: Miscellaneous/Amusing News Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrigidRoses View Post
I'll be in North Carolina Saturday morning. I should find this place and take some pictures for TBY.
Yes, please!
Starlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:51 PM   #202
FrigidRoses
Choke

FrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud of

Wait I'm confused...Is the leg in SC or NC?

Shit, I just checked it out and the leg is not currently on display. But they're talking about opening, would you say "exhibit", sometime in the near future. When they do I'll make a trip.

I'm 4REALZ.
FrigidRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:31 AM   #203
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wait I'm confused...Is the leg in SC or NC?

Shit, I just checked it out and the leg is not currently on display. But they're talking about opening, would you say "exhibit", sometime in the near future. When they do I'll make a trip.

I'm 4REALZ.
If this ever happens, I predict it will the greatest thread in TBY history.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:13 AM   #204
FrigidRoses
Choke

FrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud ofFrigidRoses has much to be proud of

I hope they allow photography.

But seriously, what the hell is wrong with these people.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:17 AM   #205
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope they allow photography.

But seriously, what the hell is wrong with these people.
More importantly,who has a BBQ smoker in their backyard? Or do people often have those in Carolina?

I assume it's like a smokehouse? Or am I wrong....
Old 10-04-2007, 01:20 AM   #206
FrigidRoses
Choke

An updated story.

Quote:
Shannon Whisnant sees movie deals, book contracts, a museum and just plain ol' bragging rights.

That is, if he can convince John Wood to share his leg.

It's been more than a week since Whisnant bought a barbecue smoker at a Maiden storage facility auction and opened it to find Wood's leg -- the foot, ankle and most of the calf -- wrapped in screen wire, setting off a flurry of media attention that has circled the globe.

It's been a rocky road since the men first starting talking about ownership of the leg last week, and their first in-person meeting Wednesday didn't do much to smooth it out.

The two seemed to have conflicting ideas and opinions about the leg and never agreed on how to proceed.

But Whisnant said that in their telephone conversations, Wood has been open to sharing the appendage. Whisnant hopes the publicity will turn into more than a few bucks, he said, and wants talk with television and movie executives and maybe set up some sort of viewing room.

If he is able to convince Wood to share custody of the leg, Whisnant said, he would charge a viewing of a $10 for adults, $5 for seniors, $3 for kids and nothing for amputees.

"It'd be a great for tourism," he said. "Maiden could use some fresh money. We've got nothin' but old money around here, and we could use a little extra cash flow."

But Maiden Mayor Bob Smyre said he isn't so sure the legend of the leg-found-in-a-smoker is a lasting one.

"He couldn't pay me a dollar to go see that leg," Smyre said. "Is it going to turn into an international tourist attraction? I don't think so."
Old 10-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #207
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
If he is able to convince Wood to share custody of the leg, Whisnant said, he would charge a viewing of a $10 for adults, $5 for seniors, $3 for kids and nothing for amputees.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 AM   #208
FrigidRoses
Choke

BBQ is something of a religion in South Carolina. Mustard and Vinegar based only though, none of that ketchup crap. And I wouldn't say it's common to have a smoker, but it's not at all surprising.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:24 AM   #209
FrigidRoses
Choke

"It'd be a great for tourism," he said. "Maiden could use some fresh money. We've got nothin' but old money around here, and we could use a little extra cash flow."

Man I gotta check out this town. It must be something extra horrible if this could be a tourist attraction.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:26 AM   #210
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:

BBQ is something of a religion in South Carolina. Mustard and Vinegar based only though, none of that ketchup crap. And I wouldn't say it's common to have a smoker, but it's not at all surprising.
God, that thing is like a Weber on steroids. We love to BBQ here too, but I guess we're not so much into the smoking thang.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:01 AM   #211
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7026454.stm

Fucking dammit, W.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #212
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

He's really screwing over the Republicans now. But still -- an extra 60 cents on a pack of smokes? Your cigs are dangerously cheap as it is, so I'm sure that wouldn't have been a huge deal.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #213
FrigidRoses
Choke

W said he would veto all along. Pretty sad.

Does anyone know of a site that gives you the average cig. price of every country? I'm curious.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #214
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

my Marlboro Reds are $4.13 a pack, and that's too much.
i remember when they were like, $2.73.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #215
FrigidRoses
Choke

Marlboro's go for 3.20 down here. Still pretty cheap. Not against a cigarette tax, but eventually they're going to have to find another way to raise some money. It's the politicians answer to everything.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #216
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

yeah.
we're getting taxed like fucking nuts here for smokes.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 AM   #217
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Erik -- I think it's around $12 for a pack of smokes here.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #218
FrigidRoses
Choke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
yeah.
we're getting taxed like fucking nuts here for smokes.
It could be much worse man. 4 bucks is nothing.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #219
Blindtiger

Blindtiger is a glorious beacon of lightBlindtiger is a glorious beacon of lightBlindtiger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
Erik -- I think it's around $12 for a pack of smokes here.
I heard they were higher in other countries, but $12 a pack! I guess I've been in NC too long!!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #220
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

When I still smoked (quit about 3 years ago), I was paying $10 and I know the prices have gone up.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #221
FrigidRoses
Choke

$10 a pack would encourage me to quit very quickly.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #222
ewok.online
CATHERINE

$12?!?!
fuck.
maybe i don't have it so bad.
i'll stop bitching now.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #223
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

The $7.75 for American Spirits in NYC was a large part of my quitting last year (For the record, I'm crazy cheap). But fucking $12?! That's insane.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #224
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

I haven't smoked for seven years, but I think cigs are around $10-$12 a pack here as well. And the vast majority of that is government tax.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:12 AM   #225
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Did someone poison the drinking water of these people with stupid pills? I find it very hard to believe this was just a random hoax phone call, but even harder to believe people acted this way with a security camera monitoring them. The video is longish, but pretty amazing.

Quote:
SHEPHERDSVILLE, Ky. - A jury awarded $6.1 million Friday to a woman who said she was forced to strip in a McDonald's back office after someone called the restaurant posing as a police officer.

Louise Ogborn, 21, had sued McDonald's Corp., claiming the fast-food giant failed to warn her and other employees about the caller who had struck other U.S. McDonald's and fast-food restaurants.

Ogborn had been seeking $200 million. McDonald's Corp. attorneys argued the company was not responsible and contended the company was being sued because of its deep pockets.

Ogborn accused the company of negligence leading up to the events in April 2004, when she was detained for 3 1/2 hours.

In the lawsuit, she said someone called the restaurant in Mount Washington impersonating a police officer and gave a description of a young, female employee, accusing her of stealing from a customer. The caller instructed an employee to strip-search the woman, according to testimony.

Ogborn was forced to undress, endure a strip search and to perform sexual acts, the lawsuit said. The events were captured on surveillance video, which was shown to jurors during the trial.

A former assistant manager, Donna Summers, was placed on probation for a misdemeanor conviction in relation to the incident. Her former fiance, Walter Nix Jr., is serving five years in prison for sexually abusing Ogborn during the 3 1/2-hour search.

A Florida man, David Stewart, was charged with making the hoax phone call but acquitted last summer. Police have said the calls stopped after Stewart's arrest.
Sponsored Links