TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

2007 Live Shows...what was your pick of the songs

Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all
2007 Live Shows...what was your pick of the songs

whatever your opinion of the tours on 2007, im sure most of us here on TBY all attended a show, or possibly more than one, or have downloaded a show. be it the blue cave ones in the spring or the shows in the autumn and before xmas.
which songs do you think the cardinals played really well? any songs you think were weaker this year than in previous years?
personally, my highlight everytime i listen to any live show from 2007 is Rescue Blues. ive got versions of it from previous years but the new one totaly blows me away and made me fall back in love with the song.
a let down was blue hotel, simply coz they removed the solo in the middle. and stars go blue lacked the edge it used to have live

any further thoughts?
Libertine4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 Live Shows...what was your pick of the songs

Dear John amazed me every time it got played -- both acoustic and electric. I Taught Myself How To Grow Old being played red cave was great as well. The live versions of The Sun Also Sets blow the album version out of the water. Peaceful Valley was great when I saw it in MPLS. I like the faster-paced Mockingbird as well.

Letdowns -- I agree on Blue Hotel lacking the solo. I know people liked Bartering Lines, but it sounds too much like CSNY's Ohio.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

I'm a Bartering Lines fan - and I love every version I have although the acoustic version on Destroyer is probably the best....

As for 2007 probably Bartering Lines at Hammersmith was the song for me but maybe that was hearing it live.....After that I enjoyed Nightbirds whenever he played it.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
burgerqueen
yeah, you've got me shakin

burgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to behold

I liked Bartering Lines a lot, but I really like that song. I also loved Off Broadway, I think because I really don't like the album version at all so hearing it live actually made me like it.
burgerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
hold on magnolia

hold on magnolia has a spectacular aura abouthold on magnolia has a spectacular aura about

peaceful valley and games are the songs that stuck out to me. i would also have to go with off broadway and dear john.
hold on magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

totally agree with the peacefull valley shouts, the little 3 minute intro was great too, and the song rocked harder than ever.
agree with BQ on off broadway. they went wrong in the studio with easy tiger, i cant remember another record where the live versions of songs are so far superior to the record
Old 01-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

I'm going to pretend that the Minneapolis show didn't happen.

But from the Austin show (which was FUCKING stellar), I'd say Please Do Not Let Me Go (which opened the show and sent a complete hush over the crowd) or Goodnight Hollywood Blvd (the only time he stepped outta the dark and looked like a definite rock star).
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
ArkhamAsylum

ArkhamAsylum is just really niceArkhamAsylum is just really nice

My favorites were Peaceful Valley, which I agree rocked harder than ever, Why Do They Leave, Off Broadway, Shakedown on 9th Street, Freeway To The Canyon, Everybody Knows, Goodnight Rose, Nightbirds, Elizabeth during the Blue Cave section and Dear John with Neal's excellent solo in the middle.

Let-downs were probably When The Stars Go Blue, Let It Ride which was boring because they played it slow more often than not, Two(though at least Sheryl Crow wasn't included), Magnolia Mountain with the jazzy middle, HalloweenHead and Blue Hotel.
ArkhamAsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
rking

rking is on a distinguished road

These are my favorites of the past year, I saw Kingston,Halloween,DC,Ryman and the album release show. Here's some things that amaze me-

Why Do They Leave better than ever
Bartering Lines just evolvong with grace and eloquence through the years, Nasty Blues!
Goodnight Rose good set opener this year, especially the jams into the next song
A Kiss Before I Go a song thats evolving better than I could ever imagined, I still love this quick number, Go JCN!!!
Nightbirds woooooooooow!
Blue Sky Blues 29 era vibe X cardinalization make this an all-time classic

Last edited by rking; 01-11-2008 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: spell check
rking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of

I went to 2 shows this year (1 blue cave, 1 red cave) and neither really stood out. In fact the blue cave show was probably the most boring show I've ever been to.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

I've only seen one show this year and hardly listened to any of the others. The musical highlight at the Sydney show for me was probably Peaceful Valley - that was terrific.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:32 PM   #12
SweetBlackMagic
People seem to hate me...

SweetBlackMagic is on a distinguished road

I would say the Blue Cave version of "Dear John" in Germantown was one of the few times I had goosebumps at a concert. His voice was absolutely amazing that night...the best I've ever heard. It seems that when he doesn't have to focus on playing guitar, his voice really shines. He's totally underrated in that department IMO.

"Icy Monsters" in Nashville was amazing...as was "Peaceful Valley." Also, I must admit that the latest versions of "Shakedown" absolutely kick ass...hated the album version, but Brad's drums on the recent live ones just kill.
SweetBlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
Paul Vick
AOTY?

Paul Vick is a jewel in the roughPaul Vick is a jewel in the rough

The two best shows I caught were Hammersmith and BBC4, of those I loved;

Shakedown > Icy Monsters [Hammersmith]
Rescue Blues [Hammersmith]
Desire [BBC4]
Off Broadway [Hammersmith]
Goodnight Hollywood Blvd [BBC4]
Blue Hotel [BBC4]
How Do You Keep Love Alive [BBC4]
Paul Vick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #14
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

Nightbirds, I see Monsters, Down In a hole and Blue Hotel at Koko's were really good I thought - Made me a fan of the songs.

At the Apollo - Peaceful Valley really stood out, Let it ride, Beautiful Sorta, Bartering lines were awesome, my mate loved the Rescue Blues, I thought Wildflowers and Dear John was good as well. The whole Apollo gig was awesome - 30 songs long, all good ones as well.

If i had to pick one...It'd be I see Monsters - I just love what they've done it.
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:40 AM   #15
wookinpanub

wookinpanub is on a distinguished road

I've really been enjoying the extended Goodnight Rose.
wookinpanub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:43 AM   #16
Whiskeyfan
All hail Punter!!

Whiskeyfan is an unknown quantity at this point

In 07 I couldn't go past a good jam, Peaceful Valley=face melting good. There's was even a show I read about where they hit the first chord and literally blew the doors at the back of the auditorium open with the sheer wall of sound, wish I'd been there.

I have listened to a crappy quality download of A Kiss Before I Go from the Santa Cruz show like a thousand times, its all rockin honky tonk style with Jon playing a heavenly steel break.
Whiskeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:11 AM   #17
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBlackMagic View Post
I would say the Blue Cave version of "Dear John" in Germantown was one of the few times I had goosebumps at a concert. His voice was absolutely amazing that night...the best I've ever heard. It seems that when he doesn't have to focus on playing guitar, his voice really shines. He's totally underrated in that department IMO.
100% agreed
Old 01-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #18
sbors

sbors will become famous soon enough

I think peaceful Valley was my favorite. I saw them in Dallas and that 3-4 part harmony when they break everything down set the tone for the night. Also, Bartering Lines live was WAY heavier than I expected. Very nice!
sbors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #19
strawberrywine

strawberrywine has a spectacular aura about

Peaceful Valley sounded great in Glasgow. Really good opening song.
strawberrywine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #20
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

Agree with Peaceful Valley, Rescue Blues has been sounding good too.

I See Monsters is always good to me. What Sin was good in Glasgow.

And the rest.

Sorry?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links