TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

Old 12-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

It's almost a new year and I thought it was time for a new thread. The old thread has been locked, but can still be accessed for anyone looking for some scary movie inspiration:

http://www.tobeyoung.org/showthread.php?t=4000
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

So, what's everyone looking forward to seeing in 2017?
Old 12-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

looking forward to Jeepers Creepers 3 and Get Out

I wanted to see ouija origin of evil in theaters but missed so I'm excited to see that when t comes out on blu ray. Same guy who did occulus and hush
Old 12-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
Sydneyfan

Looks like a ton of remakes and reboots coming our way. The one that interests me most is Suspiria. It will probably be terrible, but I'll want to see it anyway. Another remake that might be worth checking out is I Saw The Devil. The original is one the very best Korean horror films in my book, and the Koreans do some great scary films. Adam Wingard is directing apparently.

A new one that might be okay is A Cure For Wellness. Don't know much about it, but the trailer is visually striking, if not especially original.

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 12-12-2016 at 11:32 PM..
Old 12-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Fresh!

They're remaking Suspiria?!

Is Argento involved? Goblin better be playing the soundtrack.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
Fresh!

They're remaking Suspiria?!

Is Argento involved? Goblin better be playing the soundtrack.
Not as far as I know. An Italian guy called Luca Guadagnino is directing. I've not seen any of his previous films, but Tilda Swinton is in a lot of his movies, including the Suspiria remake.

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 12-12-2016 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: general incompetence
Old 12-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #7
Dogfootblues

Dogfootblues has a spectacular aura about

What's coming out horror wise this year? Where's my Nightmare on Elm Street remake remake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogfootblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #8
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

The Void:
Old 12-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #9
Dogfootblues

Dogfootblues has a spectacular aura about

That looks crazy. We talking aliens I'm guessing. It's bound to make me jump more than David Lee Roth saying jump in the Halen tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogfootblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Found a copy of the Australian film Wolf Creek on DVD at a local flea market. What a downer of a tale.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
Sydneyfan

Anyone watched The Eyes of My Mother yet? Premiered at Sundance this year, very obviously gothic in style. Reviews appear to have been largely positive.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #12
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Found a copy of the Australian film Wolf Creek on DVD at a local flea market. What a downer of a tale.
One of the very subtle, but clever, things about Wolf Creek was the small nods it gave to earlier Australian Gothic films like Picnic At Hanging Rock ( the moment where they realise their watches have stopped), Peter Weir's The Cars That Ate Paris ( trucks being portrayed almost as a second villain to the killer) and even Wake In Fright (hyper-realism, masculine violence).

I thought Wolf Creek 2 was pretty disappointing in comparison.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #13
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I also loved the first Wolf Creek and didn't care for the second.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:57 AM   #14
Deimos

Deimos is an unknown quantity at this point

Wolf Creek was disturbingly good. They're making a TV series of it as well from what I read.

Have a ton of films I took a note of and need to go through and put up here.
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
gweeps
=

Another excellent film with a dour ending is Eden Lake. I see the guy who directed it also did the Black Mirror episode Shut Up and Dance.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #16
Deimos

That's a cracking film and thanks for remind me of it.

There was one which none of my mates liked but mind-bending in a very slightly sort of Christopher Nolan way, called ‘Triangle’.

Is it ok to post links to IMDb?

Here it is:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/

Quote:
Another excellent film with a dour ending is Eden Lake. I see the guy who directed it also did the Black Mirror episode Shut Up and Dance.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:55 AM   #17
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Triangle is great
Old 12-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #18
Deimos

Agreed. Really need to go back and watch the horror/suspense/mystery films that were coming out in the masses back in the late '90s/early 2000s. Although, Triangle was a bit later.

If you want a 'horror' laugh, try to see Abominable. Title says it all, to be honest, but it's kinda ok as a "Did I just watch a direct to VHS film?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by an old love letter View Post
Triangle is great
Old 12-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #19
Deimos

Probably mentioned already, but Wind Chill was another good one. And Vanishing on 7th Street with Hayden Christensen.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #20
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Interesting, I didn't know that. Eden Lake was indeed excellent, but so bleak. Shut Up and Dance had much the same qualities.

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 12-17-2016 at 05:30 PM..
Old 12-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #21
an old love letter

I have never been a big fan of Eden Lake which is an unpopular opinion. It's a frustrating film for me to watch. I think the french horror film them (2006) is a much better film about a similar subject.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #22
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by an old love letter View Post
I have never been a big fan of Eden Lake which is an unpopular opinion. It's a frustrating film for me to watch. I think the french horror film them (2006) is a much better film about a similar subject.
I enjoyed Them as well. I certainly thought it was a far better film than The Strangers, which is essentially the same film, although not actually a remake (I think?).
Old 12-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #23
an old love letter

Not a remake either but similar in nature.

I actually think the Stranger is the best out of all of them. Incredibly terrifying film. But for me nothing is more terrifying than a home invasion.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #24
gweeps
=

On remakes, I've never seen the original Funny Games, but the redo was excellent. Another one where you feel awful for the main characters.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #25
an old love letter

The remake is basically shot for shot haha! I think the originals better but whereas it's not altogether different or a drop of in quality probably not worth watching haha

Tags
horror films, recommendations