Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Great Photos

Old 05-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #76
Life is a Pigsty

Life is a Pigsty will become famous soon enough
Re: Great Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Remarkable portraits of dogs on death row by Taiwanese photographer Yun-Fei Tou, taken just minutes before they are killed. Very powerful and sad.

http://www.fotovisura.com/user/crepe...memento-mori-2

Thank you for posting this.
Life is a Pigsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #77
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

More Historic Photos From the NYC Municipal Archives: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...chives/100318/

Some have a link to the Google Street View image, so you can see what it looks like now.

Spoiler:

hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #78
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

The one in the railway station (?) with the light streaming through the windows is wonderful.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #79
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

That one and the one I posted right below it are my favorites. I love the old signage, especially the fonts.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #80
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Quote:
Although his colony assigned him to build firetrucks, Mr. Hoffer developed an uncommon calling for a Hutterite. He fell in love with photography. Braving the censure of the elders, he snapped hundreds of photos of his community, his family, their clothes, their closed, agrarian way of life and the prairie light. Sometimes people complained, but as time passed, they got used to him, even when he began uploading the images to photo-sharing site Flickr, and to his personal website.

For their part, the Hutterites in his community of Green Acres seem less comfortable with Mr. Hofer’s hobby than the young man let on. Between his work and a recent television show, this traditional, patriarchal community of about 50,000 across North America, mostly on the Prairies, has been left increasingly exposed to a modern world creeping its way in through near-universal Internet access and the cell phones that are now as ubiquitous among young Hutterites as in mainstream society.

Hutterites are a conservative, agrarian Christian people that live communally. Their 500-year old way of life has been passed down, little changed, from eastern Europe. Most Hutterites settled in Canada about 150 years ago. Several colonies are also thriving in the U.S.

Individuals own no property. Their clothing, possessions, food and bills are all provided by the commmunity.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06...up-to-cameras/

And the photos: http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06...g-with-change/

Spoiler:

Old 06-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #81
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to all

i like dorothea lange's stuff....just amazing...

thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #82
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to all

thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #83
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...raveler_m.html

Quote:
The 24th annual National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest is in full swing. The entry deadline has been extended until July 11. The four categories include: Travel Portraits; Outdoor Scenes; Sense of Place and Spontaneous Moments. Last year's contest drew nearly 13,000 images from all over the world. The pictures are as diverse as their authors, capturing an assortment of people, places and wildlife - everything that makes traveling so memorable, evoking a sense of delight and discovery. The following post includes a small sampling of the entrant's work, taken from the editor's picks in each of the categories. (The captions are written by the entrants, some slightly corrected for readability.) And for fun, take a look back at the winners from 2011 at National Geographic Traveler.
Spoiler:

Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #84
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Super cute. Orphaned joey and wombat become best buddies.

Quote:
THEY are unlikely friends, but orphaned animals Anzac the joey and Peggy, the wombat have become best mates.

At just over five months old, Anzac was brought to the Wild about Wildlife Kilmore Rescue Centre after he was rescued in the Macedon Ranges.

Missing his mum, Anzac was placed with Peggy, the wombat, and the two now sleep together in the same pouch.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226439821914
Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #85
robotulism
lamest gamer

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

Wombats are weird looking.

That one looks like George Costanza. A happy George Costanza.
robotulism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #86
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Quote:
For 20 years now, New York-based photographer Spencer Tunick has been creating human art installations all over the world, calling together volunteers by the hundreds or thousands, asking them to remove their clothes, and photographing them in massive groups. His philosophy is that "individuals en masse, without their clothing, grouped together, metamorphose into a new shape." He aims to create an architecture of flesh, where the masses of human bodies blend with the landscape, or juxtapose with architecture. Collected here are images from several of his installations as they were being composed. Warning: The following photos all depict naked human bodies, and are not screened out. The nudity is central to Tunick's art.
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...tunick/100344/

Spoiler:

Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #87
Sydneyfan

Simple, but quite poignant - photographer James Mollison's series titled 'Where Children Sleep"

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow...ound-the-world
Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #88
Sydneyfan

Joey from Kentucky

Old 08-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #89
Sydneyfan

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 08-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #90
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

That looks fascinating, C. I'll have to find that book.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #91
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Photos of the space shuttle Endeavour being transported through the streets of Los Angeles en route to its new home at the California Science Center.

http://m.theatlantic.com/infocus/201...geles/100386/#

Spoiler:

lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #92
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

I love this series of Endeavour shots so much.
More here: http://www.theage.com.au/photogaller...014-27kq9.html

Even more amped for my trip to LA now. That and getting to see Patton Oswalt. And hopefully getting beers with ewok!
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #93
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Growing up just north of North Dakota, this all looks so very familiar. I think the older I get, the more beautiful it looks to me: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...dakota/100390/

Spoiler:

Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #94
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotulism View Post
Wombats are weird looking.

That one looks like George Costanza. A happy George Costanza.
You're very polite...I was going to use the word "ugly". Ha!
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #95
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Prepare for nightmares: http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/20...riloquist.html

Quote:
Although photographer Matthew Rolston has built a career on entertainment portraiture, advertising, and music videos, he suddenly found himself looking for a different outlet in 2009.

“My professional work is subject to tremendous agendas; everything I do is mediated by a group of people, even the creative work is usually mentioned in a contract,” Rolston said. “When I started this first-ever fine-art project I wanted to have none of that; I went into it just wanting to take these pictures.”

The project turned out to be a series about ventriloquist dummies from the Vent Haven Museum, now a 224-page book titled Talking Heads: The Vent Haven Portraits, published by Pointed Leaf Press. Rolston mentioned that once he started thinking about tackling an independent project, he had a hard time focusing on anything else.
Spoiler:

Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #96
robotulism
lamest gamer

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
Oh my god, oh no. I just skimmed what you had quoted before I opened the spoiler. I thought I was going to see pictures of the Talking Heads. Like 'Burnin' Down The House' Talking Heads.

Fuck. That's so goddamned scary.
robotulism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #97
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...e-iran/100219/

Quote:
A View Inside Iran

Iran has appeared in numerous headlines around the world in recent months, usually attached to stories about military exercises and other saber-rattlings, economic sanctions, a suspected nuclear program, and varied political struggles. Iran is a country of more than 75 million people with a diverse history stretching back many thousands of years. While over 90 percent of Iranians belong to the Shia branch of Islam -- the official state religion -- Iran is also home to nearly 300,000 Christians, and the largest community of Jews in the Middle East outside Israel. At a time when military and political images seem to dominate the news about Iran, I thought it would be interesting to take a recent look inside the country, to see its people through the lenses of agency photographers. Keep in mind that foreign media are still subject to Iranian restrictions on reporting.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #98
Janneke

Janneke is a jewel in the roughJanneke is a jewel in the rough

I love these pics: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...colors/100483/

Quote:
This week Hindus around the world celebrated Holi, the Festival of Colors. Holi is a popular springtime celebration observed on the last full moon of the lunar month. Participants traditionally throw bright, vibrant powders at friends and strangers alike as they celebrate the arrival of spring, commemorate Krishna's pranks, and allow each other a momentary freedom -- a chance to drop their inhibitions and simply play and dance. Gathered here are images of this year's Holi festival from across India.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #99
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Then and Now photos depicting the rapid deterioration of Detroit.

http://detroiturbex.com/content/ba/index.html
Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #100
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post
Then and Now photos depicting the rapid deterioration of Detroit.

http://detroiturbex.com/content/ba/index.html
Terrible place.

Tags
art, flickr, photos, pictures