TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Catch A Perv

Old 11-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Catch A Perv

I thought this was fairly interesting. It's a British based site set up by two guys who go into chat rooms posing as 12 year old girls and basically try to trap internet perves. They capture their faces on webcam, copy the chat transcript and put it up on the site for all to see.
The British police are apparently not too impressed and are considering whether they can shut it down.

http://www.catchaperv.com/

btw - some of the transcripts are fairly lurid, so avoid them if you are sensitive.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
la twinkle

la twinkle is a name known to allla twinkle is a name known to allla twinkle is a name known to allla twinkle is a name known to all
Re: Catch A Perv

I think its a good idea in a sense. It appears to be a big problem on the net bringing more awareness to the issue can only be good in my eyes.
I had a look at their pics not surprised they all looked quite creepy, I skipped the transcripts though... I can only imagine.
la twinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, its a hard issue in some respects. These guys are creeps (and don't they look they creeps too - is there a perve gene or something?) but the police are concerned that these kind of sites encourage a vigilante mentality.

I notice a couple of comments from guests saying they recognised one of the guys or they could possibly figure out where they lived etc. That's a bit of a worry.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #4
sicottem
ufo at the zoo

sicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to allsicottem is a name known to all

they do a thing like this in the states on a tv show....it think its 60 minutes, or dateline or something.....but they act like they are young kids and set up a meeting with someone, but then the journalist approaches them whenthey actually meet and exposes them....
sicottem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicottem View Post
they do a thing like this in the states on a tv show....it think its 60 minutes, or dateline or something.....but they act like they are young kids and set up a meeting with someone, but then the journalist approaches them whenthey actually meet and exposes them....

Do they? Wow, that's taking the whole concept another step further again. I can't imagine them having a show like that here somehow - too many legal and civil liberties hurdles to jump.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
la twinkle

la twinkle is a name known to allla twinkle is a name known to allla twinkle is a name known to allla twinkle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Yeah, its a hard issue in some respects. These guys are creeps (and don't they look they creeps too - is there a perve gene or something?) but the police are concerned that these kind of sites encourage a vigilante mentality.

I notice a couple of comments from guests saying they recognised one of the guys or they could possibly figure out where they lived etc. That's a bit of a worry.
Yeah thats why I see it as good not great, it leaves these pervs open to attack, then again its sorta their karma and then on the other hand rights are being violated in a sense.
I can be a fence sitter at times, I do see both sides of this... but still without to much thought to these men as people I can easily say I overall see this as a good thing better they be hurting then some 12yr girl.
la twinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:18 PM   #7
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Here's more info on the show sicottem is talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Catch_a_Predator

(note the Milwaukee shout out)
Old 11-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #8
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
(note the Milwaukee shout out)

Beer and peds

I doubt very much we would legally to be able to run a show like that in Australia - entrapment, non-disclosure etc.

But I must admit, it would make fascinating viewing.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:32 PM   #9
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

I read about this yesterday. Apparently, the police are worried that it'll cause the pervs to go 'undergound' and there was also something about the high number of suicides as a consequence of actions such a Catch A Perv.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:47 PM   #10
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Here's more info on the show sicottem is talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Catch_a_Predator

I've seen that Dateline show a few times. These type of shows are becoming pretty common in the states. Dateline runs other shows in a similar vein with secret cameras trying to entrap people that are involved in different kinds of wrongdoing.

One I saw featured a couple that wanted to adopt a baby and had become involved on an online adoption message board where a women in their area would offer to be a surrogate mother for them. They scam artist they featured would take money from the couples with no intention of giving them the baby in the end. She'd get close to the couples and basically rob them blind. They uncovered her actions on one of the Dateline episodes by following her around in their car and had the couple record their phone conversations where you could see her saying one thing and doing another. (I'm on my way to the hospital - when she'd actually be going to the mall with a friend) It was pretty awful watching the whole thing unravel.
foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:29 AM   #11
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
I read about this yesterday. Apparently, the police are worried that it'll cause the pervs to go 'undergound' and there was also something about the high number of suicides as a consequence of actions such a Catch A Perv.
This is the argument that is often used here against the case for us having a local version of "Megan's Law" - where convicted pedophiles are put on a public data base.

I suppose the difference between that and the catchaperve site is that the men caught out there aren't necessarily convicted peds and in some cases, may not actually have committed a criminal offence. It's a complex issue I guess.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I thought this was fairly interesting. It's a British based site set up by two guys who go into chat rooms posing as 12 year old girls and basically try to trap internet perves. They capture their faces on webcam, copy the chat transcript and put it up on the site for all to see.
The British police are apparently not too impressed and are considering whether they can shut it down.

http://www.catchaperv.com/

btw - some of the transcripts are fairly lurid, so avoid them if you are sensitive.

It just goes to show that you have absolutely no idea who or what the person you are talking to in a chatroom actually is. Even here, any of us could be...well anything at all couldn't we? But speaking personally I'm not posing as a 12 year old girl or looking for one!

Jesus - I just read one of the transcripts. That's gross. It's absolutely vile and I've got a pretty strong stomach. I wonder how many pervs like that there are out there. I would be seriously worried if I had a young daugther.

Last edited by Faded Rose; 11-28-2006 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Addit
Faded Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links