TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, and the Stans that love them.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #2276
folkjam

folkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

The argument falls apart when the details are literally laid in direct sequence. They didn't bury anything. Your argument is only valid if you assume people read to that one paragraph and then stopped right then and there. Which is you assigning an arbitrary marker in order to make your point.

Additionally, Ava's story is covered before anyone else's. Before Mandy, Phoebe, anyone. It's all at the top. This is clearly not an example of that layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffer17 View Post
Or did I alert people to the fact that a new interview had occurred presenting new details and a different tone to the article that may in some peoples minds reduce the severity of the initial accusation?
No, you didn't do that. Nowhere in the interview did the author downplay anything. You also didn't prove a link when people requested it. Then you ignored people asking you to justify your post.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #2277
ann ann

ann ann is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post

You feel bad for him because he can play the guitar well and write songs. Have some perspective.
That's not it at all. I think I've seen you say that before. Why do you insist on it despite being told otherwise? Why so hung up on that?

Also the lot of you insisting the NyT can never be wrong are fools. The #1 priority of the journalism biz is to sell. Who bosses around the editors? The publishers. Even big time places like NYT are strapped for enough staff to fact check etc. The pressure is unbelievable. This is not conjecture it is fact. I have been a journalist so I have a bit perspective thank you very fucking much.
ann ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #2278
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ann View Post
That's not it at all. I think I've seen you say that before. Why do you insist on it despite being told otherwise? Why so hung up on that?
Yet you conveniently don't explain why you feel pity for a known abuser.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #2279
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Maybe it's because he is mentally ill?
Old 03-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #2280
dmorgan1

dmorgan1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
The argument falls apart when the details are literally laid in direct sequence. They didn't bury anything. Your argument is only valid if you assume people read to that one paragraph and then stopped right then and there. Which is you assigning an arbitrary marker in order to make your point.

The argument doesnít fall apart at all. There are plenty comments online and news snippets from other outlets reporting he exposed himself to a 14yr old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dmorgan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #2281
folkjam

folkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of light

Which brings me right back to my original point about peopleís awful reading comprehension. And, again, her being 15 or 16 is not any better than her being 14.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #2282
SonofabitchVanOwen

SonofabitchVanOwen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Maybe it's because he is mentally ill?
Yeah, seriously. You can feel pity/empathy for someone personally while not justifying their behaviors.

I have volunteered with prisoners in the past and have encountered quite pitiable people who were murderers or attempted murderers or rapists. Most of them were deeply messed up people and had suffered terrible psychological and emotional anguish at some point in their lives. It's not wrong to see these people as human beings who are lost/hopeless/stuck and feel pity for that. In fact, I think it's an excellent skill and believe more people should develop it.

Feeling this way does not mean you support, condone, or diminish their negative behaviors.
SonofabitchVanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #2283
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Which brings me right back to my original point about peopleís awful reading comprehension. And, again, her being 15 or 16 is not any better than her being 14.
Right? It's a whooping two years!!
Old 03-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #2284
sniffer17

sniffer17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Additionally, Ava's story is covered before anyone else's. Before Mandy, Phoebe, anyone. It's all at the top. This is clearly not an example of that layout.

No, you didn't do that. Nowhere in the interview did the author downplay anything. You also didn't prove a link when people requested it. Then you ignored people asking you to justify your post.
In my opinion he did downplay it compared to the tone and facts presented in the article and others have since agreed with me, if you disagree that's up to you, but it justifies me alerting people to the event.

I don't recall anyone asking for a link, but it obviously does exist and is easily found online. I wasn't easily able to add a link at the time I posted as I saw it on a different device, I guess I could have held off and not made it a 'breaking news' type post but this is a forum, not a court of law. I just expected someone else to post it imminently anyway.
sniffer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #2285
ann ann

Quote:
Lol there was no "conveniently" about it, I didn't explain shit because I don't have to. You already made your assumptions from the get go it's not my job to change your mind.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #2286
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lol there was no "conveniently" about it, I didn't explain shit because I don't have to. You already made your assumptions from the get go it's not my job to change your mind.
Oh, right.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #2287
folkjam

You colored the interview with your own perspective and then didnít provide the link. It was asked for, and fair enough if you acknowledge that you should have held off. No one on here agreed that he begged off.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #2288
JackStark211

Ryan Adams has been pulling all our dicks for years!
Old 03-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #2289
rodstewartswig

rodstewartswig has a little shameless behavior in the past

Quote:
Which brings me right back to my original point about people’s awful reading comprehension. And, again, her being 15 or 16 is not any better than her being 14.
I'm not sure about this. His defence is that he believed she was 20 at the time their sexting began. And that isn't an altogether crazy defence: her Twitter page contained lots of photos of her performing in bars, which would be very unusual for someone underage.

Mistaking a minor for a 20 year old becomes less plausible as you shade down in age from 16 to 15 to 14 etc. So it's directly relevant to the plausibility of his defence.

I think what you're saying is that it's all pretty skeezy-- even if she was 20 it's skeezy. Fair enough, but I think everyone recognizes that it is distinctly problematic if he knowingly sexted with a 14 year old vs. sexted with someone he mistook as an 18 or 20 year old.

Last edited by rodstewartswig; 03-01-2019 at 09:56 AM..
rodstewartswig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:50 AM   #2290
Teenie Smith-Macbeth

Teenie Smith-Macbeth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well put.
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #2291
ann ann

Ok wait. Ok. I got some explanations. Hear me out.

1. Ryan is actually Satan and I hail Satan
2. This is part of my devious plan to cozy up to him and steal all his guitars
3. I'm actually Ryan
4. He could be Charles Manson I don't care, ride or die bitches
5. He made Kool aid I drank it

O this is making light of serious shit?. This thread is a shitshow. Hold on to your butts we are almost to page 100!!
Old 03-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #2292
sniffer17

sniffer17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstewartswig View Post
I'm not sure about this. His defence is that he believed she was 20 at the time their sexting began. And that isn't an altogether crazy defence: her Twitter page contained lots of photos of her performing in bars, which would be very unusual for someone underage.

Mistaking a minor for a 20 year old becomes less plausible as you shade down from age 16, to 15, to 14 etc. So it's directly relevant to the plausibility of his defence.

I think what you're saying is that it's all pretty skeezy-- even if she was 20 it's skeezy. Fair enough, but I think everyone recognizes that it is distinctly problematic if he knowingly sexted with a 14 year old vs. sexted with someone he mistook as an 18 or 20 year old.
Totally agree. Ironically the guy I was going to see Ryan with in Birmingham had a girl on Tinder lie about her age for a couple of weeks before admitting she was 16. She had put 19 on her page and had pics in nightclubs drinking. They didnít exchange naked pics but if he did he wouldnít have lost his career over it.
sniffer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #2293
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This thread is a shitshow.
I wonder how that came to be?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #2294
ann ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I wonder how that came to be?
Why did you have to quote the most boring part of my post. Im so disappointed!
Old 03-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #2295
Teenie Smith-Macbeth

Quote:
Ok wait. Ok. I got some explanations. Hear me out.

1. Ryan is actually Satan and I hail Satan
2. This is part of my devious plan to cozy up to him and steal all his guitars
3. I'm actually Ryan
4. He could be Charles Manson I don't care, ride or die bitches
5. He made Kool aid I drank it

O this is making light of serious shit?. This thread is a shitshow. Hold on to your butts we are almost to page 100!!
SEE I KNEW YOU WERE RYAN

btw you owe Tod $150,000
Old 03-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #2296
folkjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstewartswig View Post

Mistaking a minor for a 20 year old becomes less plausible as you shade down in age from 16 to 15 to 14 etc. So it's directly relevant to the plausibility of his defence.

I get when you're coming from, but I don't agree. We don't know how old he thought she was. The "She looked 20" argument came from his lawyer after producing a photo. And I don't know if she looks older than her age, because I've not made an attempt to figure out who she is.

If he thought she was 20, I don't think he would have gone through the efforts he did to conceal things. He banged Phoebe when she was 20, and he shouted her name from the rooftops. Took her on tour, released her EP, etc. etc. But, in this case, Ryan repeatedly asked for ID, told her to hide their dealings from her mother (who she lived with), and likened himself to R. Kelly. So it isn't quite as innocent.

If she were 20, I would say I don't understand why a 40 year old who pulled Mandy Moore would be interested, but they're adults so fair enough.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #2297
Teenie Smith-Macbeth

Quote:
I get when you're coming from, but I don't agree. We don't know how old he thought she was. The "She looked 20" argument came from his lawyer after producing a photo. And I don't know if she looks older than her age, because I've not made an attempt to figure out who she is.

If he thought she was 20, I don't think he would have gone through the efforts he did to conceal things. He banged Phoebe when she was 20, and he shouted her name from the rooftops. Took her on tour, released her EP, etc. etc. But, in this case, Ryan repeatedly asked for ID, told her to hide their dealings from her mother (who she lived with), and likened himself to R. Kelly. So it isn't quite as innocent.

If she were 20, I would say I don't understand why a 40 year old who pulled Mandy Moore would be interested, but they're adults so fair enough.
Did Ryanís relationship with Phoebe overlap with his marriage to Mandy Moore?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #2298
rodstewartswig

rodstewartswig has a little shameless behavior in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffer17 View Post
Totally agree. Ironically the guy I was going to see Ryan with in Birmingham had a girl on Tinder lie about her age for a couple of weeks before admitting she was 16. She had put 19 on her page and had pics in nightclubs drinking. They didn’t exchange naked pics but if he did he wouldn’t have lost his career over it.
Well, he might have lost his career if the media framed the facts in a way that encouraged casual readers to conclude he'd simply been sexting with a 16 year old, and portrayed his inquiries in to her age as evidence of a guilty mind.

I was just watching that TV interview with the NYT reporter, Joe Coscarelli. At one point he says that R. Kelly and Ryan Adams' behaviour are 'equally pernicious'. That is such obvious moral confusion I don't know where to begin. There is a plausible interpretation of Ryan Adams' behaviour where his worst offence is using his fame and power to pursue 20 year old girls, and then being a bully and drama queen when relationships sour. If you're temped to put that on a par with methodically recruiting and brainwashing teenagers into a sex cult, I'm sorry, you've lost the plot.
rodstewartswig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #2299
futurecalling

futurecalling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenie Smith-Macbeth View Post
SEE I KNEW YOU WERE RYAN

btw you owe Tod $150,000
*Todd
futurecalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #2300