TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Paris attacks/Je suis sick of this

Old 11-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Paris attacks/Je suis sick of this

This is just horrifying. At least 26 confirmed dead, approx 60 being held hostage in a theatre.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/liv...ern-paris-live
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paris attacks

I had read about the bomb threat at the hotel where the German soccer team was for today's match, but I just kinda brushed it off. I guess I shouldn't have.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Police saying 40 confirmed dead now. 100 people held hostage.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Absolutely disgusting.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Old 11-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

A girl who used to be in my department is visiting us from France right now. One of these attacks is happening really close to where she lives
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #7
Sydneyfan

A state of emergency has been declared for the whole of France.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #8
Sydneyfan

Quote:
It was carnage,” said Marc Coupris, 57, still shaking after being freed from the hostage-taking at the Bataclan concert venue. “It looked like a battlefield, there was blood everywhere, there were bodies everywhere. I was at the far side of the hall when shooting began. There seemed to be at least two gunmen. They shot from the balcony. Everyone scrabbled to the ground. I was on the ground with a man on top of me and another one beside me up against a wall. We just stayed still like that. At first we kept quiet. I don’t know how long we stayed like that, it seemed like an eternity. I saw my last final unfurl before me, I thought this was the end. I thought I’m finished, I’m finished. I was terrified. We must all have thought the same. Eventually, when a few gendarmes came in slowly we began to look up and there was blood absolutely everywhere. The police told us to run.”

Coupris, a legal worker. had come from Brittany with 15 friends to see the US band Eagles of Death Metal .

Jérome Boucer, shivering in the cold night wearing a white shirt splattered with the blood of the victims and wounded said: “The concert had started. I was in the audience and I heard what sounded like a fire-cracker. It was loud but the gig was very loud and I thought it was something that was part of the show. I think lots of people did too. Then they started firing. I saw what I thought was at least two people, then I fled. The exits were clearly marked and I just ran. There were wounded, there was a lot of blood. Blood everywhere.”

“It felt like a film,” said a woman in tears. who was part of his group.

“It was horrible, there were so many corpses, I just can’t talk about it,” said a bearded man in a death metal t-shirt as he ran down the street from the Bataclan in shock.

A woman in her twenties in fur-collared coat had been drinking in a bar closeby when people fleeing the intial shooting at the Bataclan ran into the bar. “They were panicked, wounded, screaming, blood was running all over them, people were having panic attacks, it was horrific.” The bar locked down but after police allowed it to be open again, she began running down the street towards the 3rd arrondissement to get away as fast as possible. As she and her friends ran, a young man with her in an overcoat and scarf said: “Crazy people did this. They were crazy, religious, crazy.”

Clément, an engineer, had been in a bar not far away which closed its iron shutters and everyone crouched beneath the bar. “Some people in the bar heard shots and the shutters were pulled down. It was Friday night. We were just out with friends for a pastis, as you do on Friday night. The first thing I thought of was the Charlie Hebdo attacks and terrorists. People were really afraid.”
http://www.theguardian.com/world/liv...ern-paris-live
Old 11-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
Sydneyfan

Oh good. People on Twitter have already started vitctim blaming. 'This is obviously a terrible tragedy, BUT......"

Utter grubs.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Oh good. People on Twitter have already started vitctim blaming. 'This is obviously a terrible tragedy, BUT......"

Utter grubs.

Fuck Twitter.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #11
Sydneyfan

Reports that around 100 people are dead in the Bataclan theatre. An atrocity. Three attackers shot dead by police.

https://twitter.com/AFP
Old 11-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Just mental.

A friend of mine back home is like, "I don't know why people are surprised and shocked by these attacks...apparently people are too busy with their phones and play stations, or just don't care about the obvious shit going on."

And I'm like, "No, not everyone is blind. Some of us are little more optimistic and less cynical about humanity. That's why these things are upsetting."
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #13
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
Just mental.

A friend of mine back home is like, "I don't know why people are surprised and shocked by these attacks...apparently people are too busy with their phones and play stations, or just don't care about the obvious shit going on."

And I'm like, "No, not everyone is blind. Some of us are little more optimistic and less cynical about humanity. That's why these things are upsetting."
What does make me somewhat cynical about humanity is the inevitable way people use these acts of violence to justify their existing prejudices. The dead weren't even cold yesterday before social (and lot long after, old school media) was filled with the usual suspects scoring cheap political points.

From the left -" Stop blaming ISIS, blame the US and Israel instead. " From the right "Muslims are all terrorists. No more refugees!"

It's a wonder there are any problems at all in the Middle East, since so many people have such simple and obvious solutions.

Anyhow, French authorities are beginning the process of confirming victims. Here are some of them:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...12-hours-after
Old 11-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
Sydneyfan

Love this from Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Joann Sfar:

Spoiler:
Old 11-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #15
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Love this from Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Joann Sfar:

Spoiler:
Yeah, it's been making the Facebook rounds. Very cool.

A bit amazed at Poland not taking in anymore refugees as a result of the attacks. There was also a fire at the Calais refugee camp, not entirely sure if that was a response to the attacks yet.

And now there's word that France is planning a full scale attack. And around and around we go.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #16
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Seems that France has dropped some bombs in Syria now. To be expected I guess.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:10 PM   #17
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Seems that France has dropped some bombs in Syria now. To be expected I guess.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Yup. It was inevitable that this would upscale the bombings. I heard an interview this morning with an Aussie ex-pat who has lived in France since before the Charlie Hebdo attacks. He made the interesting observation that even though Hebdo was profoundly shocking to the French; because it was cartoonists killed, the attack was largely re-framed as a freedom of speech issue.

There was an underlying sense that if you weren't drawing pictures of Mohammed (or weren't a Jew doing some supermarket shopping), then Islamic fundamentalists would hopefully leave you alone. Of course, these latest attacks proved that to a be false hope. This time ISIS made it clear that their target is simply everybody. Including the countless thousands of innocent Muslims and others they kill and continue to kill in the Middle East.

Someone at The Atlantic even made a list:

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...s-isis/415998/

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 11-15-2015 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 11-16-2015, 03:48 AM   #18
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
So you have a large population who finds it systematically hard to find work, impossible to be accepted, the regular target of police, and told every day that they should probably be kicked out of the country. I'm sure you will find it shocking that, if you do this to a few tens of millions of people for a few decades at a stretch, you will end up with a disillusioned and disenfranchised youth, some of which will combine this with the general hot-headedness and stupidity of being a young adult to become easy fodder for people who have shown up to recruit.
Quote:
The honest fact is this: neither the European left nor the right have ever made the large Muslim community into a full part of society. One side has covered it in nice words, while the other side has blared its xenophobia from the rooftops, but nobody on the receiving end of either of these has been fooled.

https://plus.google.com/+YonatanZung...ts/RN2yx54bxPa
Old 11-16-2015, 08:29 AM   #19
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for posting this essay. Both interesting and disturbing.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #20
Sydneyfan

Yes, I thought it made a lot of very good points. I think he might have undersold the role of Wahhabism, the belief in the divinity of the caliphate, and the way both create an incentive for violence and a total rejection of secularism and human rights. I doubt Muslims are the only minority group in France that face unemployment, discrimination etc, yet we don't see these levels of violence from other cultures. Beheading innocent people and raping 12 year old girls is a pretty extreme reaction to not being able to get a decent job or having someone call you names.

I thought this interview with a former (and reformed) Islamic radical gave some good insights into why ISIS is so successful at recruiting from the West. Like the author of the essay Shell posted, it also points out how both the left and right have been missing the point on this issue.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #21
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
'Serious plans for explosions' cancel soccer match in Germany

Chief Volker Kluwe told NDR that authorities "had concrete intelligence that someone wanted to set off an explosive device inside the stadium." The tip from federal authorities forced the cancellation of the Netherlands-Germany match about one-and-a-half hours before game time.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/17/europe...led/index.html
Old 11-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #22
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many other soccer matches will be postponed or cancelled over the next little while. This one was just a friendly (along with the France-England in London today), but the Euro qualifiers are still happening. Plus Champions League and just normal league play. I know it's minor in the grand scheme of things...
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #23
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
I wonder how many other soccer matches will be postponed or cancelled over the next little while. This one was just a friendly (along with the France-England in London today), but the Euro qualifiers are still happening. Plus Champions League and just normal league play. I know it's minor in the grand scheme of things...
I was wondering the same thing and kind of felt like an ass for it.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #24
Sydneyfan

Are people in other countries besides Australia freaking out over taking in Syrian refugees now? We're taking 12,000 and the general vibe before Paris was that this was the right thing to do. Suddenly, there's a big backlash against the idea.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #25
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

Yeah some states here have stopped agreeing to take them in. New York is still doing it, but it's pretty much the big Republican states that are refusing.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
paris attacks, terrorism