TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > 2017 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Kendrick Lamar - Damn (April 14)

Old 04-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #51
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Kendrick Lamar - Damn (April 14)

Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #52
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I think Danny Brown and Vince Staples have the chops. They just need the albums.

Earl has the mind and the flow, but seemingly no will.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #53
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Earl and Tyler need to get on the same page and do something outstanding and adult. Potential is there. Tyler on the boards, and earl on the mic.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #54
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

i'm enjoying the fact that a hip-hop album has gotten 3 pages of discussion on a RA board.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #55
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

The cool thing is that I've gotten into loads of great bands from TBY recommendations... most which don't sound like RA or alt-country. Admittedly, I'm totally guilty, in my older age, of circling the wagons to which genres and artists I'll let in.

The other thing about critic hype, also, is that the hyperbolic praise doesn't really benefit the artist. They writing is pitched as such to establish their topic as a top story and make sure their name is on the byline.

To be fair to KL and artists who get his kind of coverage, the press is probably good and generates sales, but can also backfire through no fault of their own... case in point, I'm holding this record to higher standard than if it dropped w/o out the sensational hype.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #56
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
The cool thing is that I've gotten into loads of great bands from TBY recommendations... most which don't sound like RA or alt-country. Admittedly, I'm totally guilty, in my older age, of circling the wagons to which genres and artists I'll let in.

To be fair to KL and artists who get his kind of coverage, the press is probably good and generates sales, but can also backfire through no fault of their own... case in point, I'm holding this record to higher standard than if it dropped w/o out the sensational hype.
me too. i can be so easily lulled into eating the same food, drinking the same beer, wearing the same clothes etc but often when i try something new or different i wish i would have sooner. i've pretty much locked in most of my main musical artists/genres at this point, but i still try and step outside my comfort zone now and again. hence my giving this Kendrick album so much time.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #57
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebambino View Post
i'm enjoying the fact that a hip-hop album has gotten 3 pages of discussion on a RA board.

For sure. My favorite style of music if thrasher punk. This place has a diverse group of music lovers.