TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

The Staircase (Netflix)

Old 06-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
The Staircase (Netflix)

Anyone watching this new true-crime doco? I'm really enjoying it and almost done -I binged watched over a cold and rainy weekend.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
sleigher

sleigher is a jewel in the roughsleigher is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Staircase (Netflix)

i think its interesting that netflix was able to bring all of the episodes together in one place finally

the first eight episodes originally aired in 2004 - then in 2013 two more episodes aired

so im watching the newest episodes [the last three]

still heartbreaking as ever

personally - i dont think he did it
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
i think its interesting that netflix was able to bring all of the episodes together in one place finally

the first eight episodes originally aired in 2004 - then in 2013 two more episodes aired

so im watching the newest episodes [the last three]

still heartbreaking as ever

personally - i dont think he did it

I finished watching the last episode last night. It was certainly an eye-opener about the bias and falsification that can go on during the trial process.

Spoiler:
That Deaver and co could just go around making the "evidence" fit their preferred outcome was pretty shocking, and makes you wonder how often it has happened before in other cases around the world.

Ultimately, I still suspect Peterson most likely did it. I just can't get my head around the amount of blood on and around the staircase, and the extent of her lacerations as equating to any sort of accidental fall. We know the science from the prosecution was flawed, but some of the science from the defense also seemed to me to be pretty vague and grasping at straws as well. The Germany stuff was weird and incriminating as well, but it was impossible to get a clear idea of what really happened. A German coroner found it was an accident, a US one said it wasn't. So who the hell knows.

I'd almost buy a defense that a third person/intruder did it, but there was obviously zero evidence of that.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
sleigher

sleigher is a jewel in the roughsleigher is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I finished watching the last episode last night. It was certainly an eye-opener about the bias and falsification that can go on during the trial process.

Spoiler:
That Deaver and co could just go around making the "evidence" fit their preferred outcome was pretty shocking, and makes you wonder how often it has happened before in other cases around the world.

Ultimately, I still suspect Peterson most likely did it. I just can't get my head around the amount of blood on and around the staircase, and the extent of her lacerations as equating to any sort of accidental fall. We know the science from the prosecution was flawed, but some of the science from the defense also seemed to me to be pretty vague and grasping at straws as well. The Germany stuff was weird and incriminating as well, but it was impossible to get a clear idea of what really happened. A German coroner found it was an accident, a US one said it wasn't. So who the hell knows.

I'd almost buy a defense that a third person/intruder did it, but there was obviously zero evidence of that.
Spoiler:
deaver is one of the most frustrating people ive seen in these recent true crime docuseries - finding out the actual number of crime scenes he had been to where a fall was the cause of death gave me so much anxiety - i just cant believe someone like that is considered a credible witness or given any consideration at all

heres an article that makes a fairly convincing argument for 'the owl did it!'

http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/the-s...explained.html
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

I'm going to watch it. My favorite podcast talks about it a lot, and I've read a lot about it / seen Forensic Files episodes about it. I have to see what the documentary says, but based on podcasts / tv shows, I feel like he did it.

Spoiler:
I feel like the entry of a "no contest" plea essentially confirms that he's the culprit. Although, how it was for manslaughter and not murder confuses me, so hopefully the show clears it up
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FavoriteEver View Post
I'm going to watch it. My favorite podcast talks about it a lot, and I've read a lot about it / seen Forensic Files episodes about it. I have to see what the documentary says, but based on podcasts / tv shows, I feel like he did it.

Spoiler:
I feel like the entry of a "no contest" plea essentially confirms that he's the culprit. Although, how it was for manslaughter and not murder confuses me, so hopefully the show clears it up
Spoiler:
From memory, it was because the state where the murder occurred allows for a manslaughter plea for murder in cases where the murderer may have been provoked, temporarily lost control of their temper etc. In other words, not pre-planned. David Rudolf explains it at some point in the doco.
Sponsored Links

Tags
netflix, the staircase, true crime