TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > 2019 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Patty Griffin - self-titled (March 8)

Old 02-14-2019, 01:32 AM   #1
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Patty Griffin - self-titled (March 8)

Quote:
Like a lazy Sunday morning, a Patty Griffin song can frame life perfectly, and put everything into perspective. This gift is the reason artists such as Emmylou Harris, Miranda Lambert, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and the Dixie Chicks have selected her songs to record, and the Grammys have awarded and nominated her efforts over the years.

On Friday, March 8th, Griffin will release what will count as her 10th studio recording, and her first eponymous release when it emerges from PGM Recordings and Thirty Tigers. Recorded primarily at her own house in Austin, TX, it was co-produced with long-time collaborator Craig Ross, and includes contributions from guitarist David Pulkingham, drummer/percussionist Conrad Choucroun, cellist Lindsey Verrill, pianist Stephen Barber, and fellow Band of Joy member Robert Plant, who offers backing vocals on the songs “What Now” and “Coins.”

The album comes after a period on Patty’s life that is described as one of profound personal crisis, including being diagnosed with breast Cancer about two years ago, but ultimately defeating the disease. Ahead of the album, Griffin has made available a song called “The River” (listen below).

“‘Isn’t she a river?’ just kind of came out and the rest sort of followed,” says Griffin. “Sometimes songs are like that. I wasn’t really reaching for anything intentionally – just playing some chords with a feeling inside and there you go.”

Also as part of the release, Patty Griffin will embark on a world tour, starting February 28th in Los Angeles. More info on the tour will be coming soon, and tickets will go on sale January 18th.

– – – – – – – –

Track Listing:

1. Mama’s Worried
2. River
3. Where I Come From
4. Hourglass
5. Had a Good Reason
6. Bluebeard
7. What Now
8. Luminous Places
9. Coins
10. Boys From Tralee
11. The Wheel
12. What I Remember
13. Just The Same
https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/p...-titled-album/
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:37 AM   #2
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patty Griffin - self-titled (March 8)

"Isn't she a river, doesn't need a diamond to shine..."

Old 03-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
Sydneyfan

NPR is streaming the entire album.

Quote:
Patty Griffin's approach to being a singer-songwriter is built on a benevolent paradox: Her compositions and performances convey such openheartedness, yet she's reluctant to burden her listeners with explanations of what she's trying to say. In press materials and a recent interview, she alluded to circumstances that, on some level, inspired her self-titled 10th studio album: recovering from breast-cancer treatment and contemplating the degraded state of social and political affairs.

That's not to say its 13 tracks will register as being straightforwardly autobiographical or topical, modes deployed by plenty of other contemporary folk songwriters. Moving easily between idioms — tragic Scots-Irish balladry; gospel-blues repetition; earthy, narrative detail; dreamily poetic imagery — she teases out the album's subtle, animating tension. There's such a light, sympathetic touch to her accompaniment that the arrangements feel like they sprout from the moods she sets. And the homey production, achieved with the help of her longtime collaborator and multi-instrumentalist Craig Ross, at least partly stems from the fact that they recorded at her house in Austin.

One quality that's distinguished Griffin's body of work throughout her nearly quarter-century career is her gift for imagining the untamed forces of people's inner lives. (Recall how she made cutting ties with a lover sound like a beautiful, compassionate, mutually liberating act in her early, oft-covered song "Let Him Fly.") Also ever-present has been her tender, unpretentious insight into how working people can be constrained by their circumstances. Those two facets of perspective have enjoyed roughly equal prominence in her songwriting, and no doubt fed admiration of it among bigger stars and artistic heirs alike. But Griffin has finally woven them into a strikingly intricate whole.

In songs like "Mama's Worried" and "River," the spirits of her female protagonists bear onerous, unspoken burdens and resist domestication. "Mama's worried all the time," Griffin sings with melancholy poise and pendulous jazz phrasing over Spanish classical guitar, channeling the anxious awareness of a child in a household with no economic security. "She tells everyone she's fine / But she's hurting bad / She don't want no one to know." Griffin begins the second tune by inventing her own vernacular expression for marveling at emotional self-determination: "Isn't she a river?" "You can't really have her," she sings with warm resolve, her reedy voice flaring, "but you can hold her for a time."

During "Hourglass," Griffin summons an air of seasoned wisdom with the sauntering informality of her delivery, echoed by the musicians' woozy, New Orleans-style swinging and salty trombone licks. After several verses of tough nightlife talk, her character muses about deeper drives. "I've heard it said many times that life is a dream," Griffin sings, partly withdrawing into reverie. "If it is, I've been dreaming of a crazy machine / That's been choking out the love / Killing too many dreamers / And I just wanna tear that old machine down."

The sixth track, "Bluebeard," begins a pivot of sorts: It's Griffin's intervention in the murder-ballad tradition. She and guitarist David Pulkingham vigorously strum foreboding, modal chord progressions while she unfurls the tale of a woman who marries a feared man and refuses to ignore the evidence of his brutishness as he demands. Nature itself comes to her defense when he threatens her life. Griffin concludes the song chanting, "Maiden no more"; she's not bemoaning some loss of feminine purity but crowing over the fact that presumptions of the woman's weakness have fallen away.

Late, "Boys From Tralee" shares the Celtic folk feel and is, in fact, Griffin's story of poor, doomed Irish immigrants. "If hunger makes you nothing, then, boy, I am nothing," her young, male protagonist laments. "The Wheel," carried by a sinewy Hill Country Blues guitar figure and a shifty Beatle-esque bass line, is Griffin's stoic complaint about lives repeatedly squashed by the world's imbalance of power.

But the reflective "Coins," featuring her sometime singing partner Robert Plant, is the most telling tune in the album's second half. Recalling her long-ago waitressing days — particularly the ugliness of the hierarchy between hustling, low-wage earners and demanding, entitled patrons — she aims level-headed scorn at men desperate to make a show of their strength. "I'd hoped I'd seen the last of you," she sighs. "No more would I fetch or cower / But when I fed you for a tip that day / You were young and hungry for power." Eventually, she dresses her target down more pointedly: "Now history is on your side / Who am I to deny it? / A fiefdom for your fragile pride / And who would dare defy it?"

One of the select insights that Griffin shared in her official bio was that she'd divided this album between songs exploring women's concerns and men's outlooks, and that holds true. But she's engaging in something more compelling than any sort of simplistically oppositional gendered battle. She's training her vision on outward distortions of inner strength.
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/28/69851...-patty-griffin
Old 03-04-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

patty sings bgv on my favorite bob schneider song 'changing yer mind'

ive never listened to one of her albums - which one should i start with sydney?
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
Sydneyfan

I think Impossible Dream is a great starting point. Standout tracks on that one for me are Useless Desires, Florida and Top of The World. If you enjoy that, 1000 Kisses and her first album, Living With Ghosts are good follows up. Her best Americana/folk album is probably American Kid.

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 03-05-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Old 03-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
Whiskeytown 2
Let It Ride

Whiskeytown 2 has a spectacular aura aboutWhiskeytown 2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
patty sings bgv on my favorite bob schneider song 'changing yer mind'

ive never listened to one of her albums - which one should i start with sydney?
Back in college, I was given Living with Ghosts and 1000 Kisses. The only song I knew of hers before these albums, was Long Ride Home. That song blew me away and loved both albums. 1000 Kisses will not disappoint, Chief and Rain are great songs. I had not been a big fan of Female artist due to the content of most songs I had heard at the time. So to find a Female writing songs like Patty, I had to rethink and dig deeper for such artist.

Good to see a Bob Schneider fan on here, been following him for a long time. Changing your mind was a punch to the gut when I first heard it. Didn't help I was going through a break up but I still fall back on this song as a Favorite. Loved the version off When The Sun Breaks Down on The Moon. Check out his Acoustic Live Album recorded at the Cactus Cafe, Songs Sung with People in the Room. Bob is such a talented musician and a great songwriter.
Whiskeytown 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:27 AM   #7
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I think Impossible Dream is a great starting point. Standout tracks on that one for me are Useless Desires, Florida and Top of The World. If you enjoy that, 1000 Kisses and her first album, Living With Ghosts are good follows up. Her best Americana/folk album is probably American Kid.

My favorite is Children Running Through. "I'm Getting Ready" is so badass. ("Oh baby you were my drug / and I was just your cigarette / I was nuthin you could be proud of / I done lost my self respect").

Also "No Bad News" on that LP is brilliant.
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:32 AM   #8
a devil in paradise
massively dull

don't bring me bad news
no bad news
i don't need none of your bad news today

you're a sad little boy
anyone can see it
just a sad little boy
despite carrying on that way

why don't you burn it all down
burn your own house down
burn your own house down
try to cure your own disease

and leave the rest of us
there's a lot of us
leave the rest of us
who wanna live in peace
to live in peace
Old 03-14-2019, 12:05 AM   #9
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a devil in paradise View Post
don't bring me bad news
no bad news
i don't need none of your bad news today

you're a sad little boy
anyone can see it
just a sad little boy
despite carrying on that way

why don't you burn it all down
burn your own house down
burn your own house down
try to cure your own disease

and leave the rest of us
there's a lot of us
leave the rest of us
who wanna live in peace
to live in peace
Agreed, its a brilliant song. I saw her perform it live at the Enmore in Sydney a few years ago, and she brought the house down. Amazing.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #10
Sydneyfan

Worth a listen if you are new to her music....

Old 03-14-2019, 12:40 AM   #11
a devil in paradise
massively dull

Quote:
Worth a listen if you are new to her music....
that's fantastic.... got goosebumps (never seen that version before)
Old 03-14-2019, 12:42 AM   #12
a devil in paradise
massively dull

so my recollection of Patty's biography is that she was married to some Joe Schmoe in the early 90's, and he "got bored with being married" and left her, then she got famous, then she married Robert Plant... and that, my friends, is the greatest goddamn "the best revenge is living well" story you will ever hear
Old 03-14-2019, 12:51 AM   #13
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a devil in paradise View Post
so my recollection of Patty's biography is that she was married to some Joe Schmoe in the early 90's, and he "got bored with being married" and left her, then she got famous, then she married Robert Plant... and that, my friends, is the greatest goddamn "the best revenge is living well" story you will ever hear
But then they split up and she wrote Servant of Love, which is largely about him. He's doing backing vocals on her latest album though, so not sure whether they are back together as a couple, or perhaps just as friends.

One of the reasons I think her music resonates so much is that she's a lady who has experienced life and love in all its ups and downs and can capture those moments so well in a song.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:56 AM   #14
a devil in paradise
massively dull

Quote:
But then they split up and she wrote Servant of Love, which is largely about him. He's doing backing vocals on her latest album though, so not sure whether they are back together as a couple, or perhaps just as friends.

One of the reasons I think her music resonates so much is that she's a lady who has experienced life and love in all its ups and downs and can capture those moments so well in a song.
didn't know they split up -- can't make the 90's dude feel a bit better though -- she'll probably be dating somebody even cooler soon.

I wouldn't be so pissy at that guy if they were an awful, bickering couple -- totally normal -- but "I was bored with being married" is the worst exit line ever.
Sponsored Links

Tags
patty griffin