TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2010 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Patty Griffin - Downtown Church (Jan 26)

Old 11-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Patty Griffin - Downtown Church (Jan 26)

Patty's new album, Downtown Church, is now available for pre-order on Amazon. The album, which is produced by Buddy Miller, is scheduled to be released on January 26, 2010

Guest artists and singers include: Shawn Colvin, Emmylou Harris, Raul Malo and Buddy & Julie Miller. Patty's band features Dennis Crouch (bass), Jay Bellerose (drums), Buddy Miller & Doug Lancio (guitar), John Deaderick (keys), Stuart Duncan (fiddle) and Russ Pahl (steel guitar).

1. House Of Gold
2. Move Up (with Ann McCrary, Regina McCrary, Jim Lauderdale, and Buddy Miller)
3. Little Fire (with Emmylou Harris)
4. Death's Got A Warrant (with Regina McCrary and Ann McCrary)
5. If I Had My Way (with Regina McCrary and Ann McCrary)
6. Coming Home To Me (with Julie Miller)
7. Wade In The Water (with Regina McCrary and Mike Farris)
8. Never Grow Old (with Buddy Miller)
9. Virgen de Guadalupe (with Raul Malo)
10. I Smell A Rat
11. Waiting For My Child
12. The Strange Man (with Regina McCrary and Mike Farris)
13. We Shall All Be Reunited (with Shawn Colvin & Emmylou Harris)
14. All Creatures of Our God and King
Sydneyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patty Griffin - Downtown Church (Jan 26)

Move Up is now streaming on her MySpace.

http://www.myspace.com/pattygriffin
Old 12-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Move Up is now streaming on her MySpace.

http://www.myspace.com/pattygriffin
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Sydneyfan

Quote:
"Downtown Church," as the title suggests, was recorded at the Downtown Presbyterian Church in Nashville, with the likes of Emmylou Harris, Shawn Colvin and gospel group the Fairfield Four joining on vocals. It marks her fifth release for Dave Matthews' ATO Records.

"It had a really interesting history," Griffin tells Billboard.com of her recording location. "It was a civil war hospital. Lately, it takes over for caring for a lot of homeless people. Gospel music is very broad, but my entry was the Staple Singers and the records they did. You could actually hear people in the pews on the old recordings."

The idea to record a gospel-style record stemmed from Griffin's participation in the "Oh Happy Day" compilation, on which she duets with Mavis Staples. The album shows a wide range of influences, blending a traditional country sound with a more blues-oriented approach.

At times, Griffin is slow and poised on "Death's Got A Warrant" and "Wade in the Water" to a harder, driving approach during "Move Up" and "I Smell A Rat."

Griffin covers the likes of Hank Williams ("House of Gold") and traditional songs such as "Never Grow Old" and "If I Had My Way" (known to Grateful Dead fans as "Samson & Delilah"). She also performs several of her own tunes, including "Coming Home To Me" and the ballad "Little Fire."

Commercially, Griffin has fared well over the last few years -- 2007's "Children Running Through" has sold 168,000 according to Nielsen SoundScan. Her 1996 debut "Living With Ghosts" remains her best seller, having sold 222,000. Perhaps more lucratively, her song "Up to the Mountain" is featured on Susan Boyle's blockbuster album "I Dreamed a Dream."

Although details are still being ironed out, Griffin is planning to kick off a tour in late March. On January 21, she'll play a one-off date in Austin, Texas, as a part of a "Grounded in Music" fundraiser.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Wettelander

Wettelander will become famous soon enough

Downtown Church is streaming in full here on the NPR site until Jan 26th.
Wettelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
taparoo
Turning your orbit around

taparoo is a splendid one to beholdtaparoo is a splendid one to beholdtaparoo is a splendid one to beholdtaparoo is a splendid one to beholdtaparoo is a splendid one to beholdtaparoo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettelander View Post
Thanks for the link. This is really good. I love Patty.
taparoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettelander View Post
Thank you!

last.fm
foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Sydneyfan

This sounds great. Cheers for the link.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
Sydneyfan

Coming Home to Me is just beautiful. And makes me very keen to hear her next album of original tunes.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Wettelander

Wettelander will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Coming Home to Me is just beautiful. And makes me very keen to hear her next album of original tunes.
My sentiments exactly.
Wettelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Wow. Listening to this now.
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

I'm not even through the first song yet. This is gorgeous!

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
which is the other original patty song on the album? I read there were only 2.

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
Old 01-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cienega View Post
which is the other original patty song on the album? I read there were only 2.
Little Fire. Which is also really good.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
La Cienega
la la la la la

Free download of "If I Had My Way"
http://www.amazon.com/Had-Way-Feat-R...19690_14216270

last.fm
Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

love me some patty
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #17
gsmile
The Mass Dullness

gsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to all

It's pretty early on, but this is already a contender for my Top 10 of the year. The production is rich and open (Church recording is so hot right now) and the Patty originals are slotted in amongst the traditionals so perfectly that you'd swear they'd been around for years. I've always been a fan of Griffin's voice, but here she sounds like she's really come into her own; just listen that delicate phrasing with a bit of grit on the bottom. I'm not a religious person by any stretch of the imagination, but this is incredibly moving stuff.
gsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #18
Sydneyfan

Yep, I've been listening to this for a around a week now and it's just brilliant. Her voice is just tailor made for this type of material. I'm not religious either, but it really packs a punch. Waiting For My Child is the standout track for me at the moment, but I love them all.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #19
Sydneyfan

For those who haven't heard the album, here's a live version of Waiting For My Child. Sound quality is not great but it gives you an idea.

Sponsored Links

Tags
downtown church, patty griffin