TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 AM   #26
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future
Re: The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Is this thread appearing screwed up to anyone else? The order of the last 5 or so posts seems to be in the wrong order. (It shows ferris quoting ishellmay 3 minutes before the message being quoted was even posted - brain explosion - ferris, can you read minds?)
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #27
ferris wheel junkie
the hell is thish words??

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Is this thread appearing screwed up to anyone else? The order of the last 5 or so posts seems to be in the wrong order. (It shows ferris quoting ishellmay 3 minutes before the message being quoted was even posted - brain explosion - ferris, can you read minds?)
shell triple posted.

she posted before me and again after me.

plus i'm psychic. or psycho.. one of the two.

p.s. are there more good NZ bands than their are aussie bands? especially when you put it in perspective with the sizes of the populations...
ferris wheel junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #28
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris wheel junkie View Post
why is it that so much australian music sucks?
is it because we put more emphasis on sport than cultural stuff?

actually, we do have some fantastic artists (i don't mean artists like ryan, i mean ones that make paintings and stuff ).
I don't know why so much of it sucks. I can name Australian bands/artists I do like, though.
Paul Kelly, Decoder Ring, Telemetry Orchestra, Stephen Cummings, Sarah Blasko, Sia, Teenagers in Tokyo, Cut Copy, Gotye, The Basics, Crowded House, Howling Bells, Gelbison, Nick Cave and some others that fail to come to mind at the moment.

I just can't get into straightforward, guitar-based pop/rock that doesn't captivate or challenge me on some level. Unfortunately, a lot of that has come from Australian bands. At least, it has for me in the five years that I've been here.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #29
ferris wheel junkie

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
I don't know why so much of it sucks. I can name Australian bands/artists I do like, though.
Paul Kelly, Decoder Ring, Telemetry Orchestra, Stephen Cummings, Sarah Blasko, Sia, Teenagers in Tokyo, Cut Copy, Gotye, The Basics, Crowded House, Howling Bells, Gelbison, Nick Cave and some others that fail to come to mind at the moment.

I just can't get into straightforward, guitar-based pop/rock that doesn't captivate or challenge me on some level. Unfortunately, a lot of that has come from Australian bands. At least, it has for me in the five years that I've been here.
see... i haven't even heard of half of those ... that's part of the problem.

and crowded house is kiwi.

i liked waikiki better than howling bells... i thought the pop they made was more interesting than the alt-country goth music they make now.

butterfly boucher is another australian pop artist that i like. i think the problem with our creative pop artists is that there is no market here for them... people either write pop off because they're cooler than that, or it's too interesting for pop radio. the stuff in the middle gets left behind, and it's that stuff that i think aussies actually produce really well, but it gets ignored (see motor ace and lo tel... it was never cool to like them and they weren't pop enough for the pop crowd either). waikiki is a good example, but rather than giving up (like most do) they just changed their image and style.

and then we get shit like jet and the vines that sells like crazy before people realise how bad it is and they get forgotten eventually too.

nick cave doesn't even live here. actually, none of the ones that stay successful live here. even though ben folds lived in adelaide for a while
there are just a handful, like powderfinger and jebadiah/bob evans and killing heidi (are they still around anyway?) ... who are all ok, but i think there are better. except odyssey #5 which is a classic.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #30
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
p.s. are there more good NZ bands than their are aussie bands? especially when you put it in perspective with the sizes of the populations...
Not really - there are a lot of good bands, but also even more bad ones - I reckon it's that way everywhere. The market is obviously even smaller here, so there is no way any band can make a living just in NZ. There aren't many who have made it internationally - Split Enz/Crowded House obviously (I don't actually mind when people refer to CH as an Aussie band - there were two Aussies in the band and they were based in Melbourne, a true trans-Tasman effort I think), The Datsuns became NME darlings a few years back but have slipped away a bit since then, Shihad were pretty succesful in Australia in the late 90s but then they put all their focus on trying to make it in the US which backfired something terribly and almost ruined them. Liam Finn (Neil's son) is doing pretty well for himself, his first solo album (he had a couple of albums with his band Betchadupa) is excellent and he's been on Letterman, Later with Jools Holland and opened for Eddie Vedder on his US tour. There are a number of other NZ bands that I really like who aren't really well known outside our country but they are right up there for me (The Phoenix Foundation, Dimmer, The Mint Chicks) Our biggest success lately would definitely be Flight of the Conchords, but that's more because of the TV show.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #31
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
even though ben folds lived in adelaide for a while
Serj Tankian from System of a Down lives in Auckland a lot of the time. And Jaz Coleman from Killing Joke used to live here, not sure if he still does. I think Ben Harper owns a place here too - down in Raglan (a surf beach town a few hours south of Auckland)
Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #32
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Are there rules in Australia/NZ to play Aussie/Kiwi content on the radio a certain percentage of the time? Or are they smarter there than here and allow the local market to say what's good and what isn't?
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #33
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
Are there rules in Australia/NZ to play Aussie/Kiwi content on the radio a certain percentage of the time? Or are they smarter there than here and allow the local market to say what's good and what isn't?
There were calls for a quota for a long time, but in the end radio stations agreed to try to reach a voluntary quota by a certain time - which was better because obviously it's a lot easier for a rock station to play local content than a classic hits station. I'm not sure if they've reached the quota but I don't think anyone thinks it matters because the attitude changed and it was suddenly cool to play NZ music and before that it was pretty rare. It's also NZ Music Month this month - it happens every year in May (for the last 10 years) - basically it's just an excuse for NZ bands to be highlighted more on TV etc, and there is usually a higher concentration of quality gigs happening - this year for the second year running there's a festival called Homegrown which happened in Wellington with most of the biggest NZ bands playing - it sold out last year and I think had a huge turnout again this year.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #34
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
see... i haven't even heard of half of those ... that's part of the problem.

and crowded house is kiwi.

i liked waikiki better than howling bells... i thought the pop they made was more interesting than the alt-country goth music they make now.

butterfly boucher is another australian pop artist that i like. i think the problem with our creative pop artists is that there is no market here for them... people either write pop off because they're cooler than that, or it's too interesting for pop radio. the stuff in the middle gets left behind, and it's that stuff that i think aussies actually produce really well, but it gets ignored (see motor ace and lo tel... it was never cool to like them and they weren't pop enough for the pop crowd either). waikiki is a good example, but rather than giving up (like most do) they just changed their image and style.

and then we get shit like jet and the vines that sells like crazy before people realise how bad it is and they get forgotten eventually too.

nick cave doesn't even live here. actually, none of the ones that stay successful live here. even though ben folds lived in adelaide for a while
there are just a handful, like powderfinger and jebadiah/bob evans and killing heidi (are they still around anyway?) ... who are all ok, but i think there are better. except odyssey #5 which is a classic.
Neil and Tim Finn are kiwi, but the band Crowded House were based in Melbourne from the time Neil lived here. I've been in Nick Seymour's old house, which was incidentally on the same street as Neil's old house in East St Kilda. (And having just read lukin's response...there you go.)

I'm aware that Nick Cave doesn't live here, but he certainly was born here and grew up here. Ben Folds lived here because he had an Australian wife, or so I'm told.

I think I've heard of Butterfly Boucher. I'll look them up.

I struggle with Australian radio in a way because stations like Triple J and Triple R sort of pride themselves on promoting acts that are a bit left of center or altogether on a radar of their own creation. And I don't doubt that 96% of the time they're promoting acts that are not homegrown. Promoting is all they can do, aside from hope that someone out there with an equally discerning ear is interested enough to go out and buy the record or download it and tell two friends, etc. Especially when they come across an Australian act that potentially meets the standards of something imported from overseas.

From what I gather, the Australian music scene is kind of precious about itself and relies on a public that hopefully doesn't care that what twenty bands put out sounds like twenty other bands. I don't claim to be an expert, but as a critical listener it seems to me that churning out so many guitar/drums/bass/verse/chorus/middle eighth packages is what happens in the Australian scene most of the time.

I agree that some of the stuff that's strongly produced gets ignored or passed over perhaps because of bad timing coinciding with bad fads, but who's to blame? The promoter? The manager? The band? The audience for not caring enough? We're back to square one. Or at least I am.
Also, I'm going to bed now.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #35
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Also, I like The Ruby Suns. They're kiwis.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #36
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
Also, I like The Ruby Suns. They're kiwis.
I saw them once and wasn't terribly impressed, but it could just be because I'd heard so much hype beforehand.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #37
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
I saw them once and wasn't terribly impressed, but it could just be because I'd heard so much hype beforehand.
Must've been an off night. I've seen them twice (once when they opened for The Shins as a full band and the other time as a duo) and I quite liked both performances.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #38
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

You could have the same conversation about Australian film too. We have a lot of very talented/movie star pretty actors (Hollywood is full of them) but we make horrible films by and large. We can't even make horrible yet successful films.
Maybe what we lack is the writers and directors, I dunno. I do think we lack vision in terms of film funding though. The guys who made the first Saw film were Aussies. They wanted to get that film made here, using local actors. They simply couldn't get arrested here, let alone get funding. They took the same idea to Hollywood and made a fortune.
Saw mightn't be high art, but an international success like that would have been a huge shot in the arm for local film production.
Sydneyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #39
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
You could have the same conversation about Australian film too. We have a lot of very talented/movie star pretty actors (Hollywood is full of them) but we make horrible films by and large. We can't even make horrible yet successful films.
Maybe what we lack is the writers and directors, I dunno. I do think we lack vision in terms of film funding though. The guys who made the first Saw film were Aussies. They wanted to get that film made here, using local actors. They simply couldn't get arrested here, let alone get funding. They took the same idea to Hollywood and made a fortune.
Saw mightn't be high art, but an international success like that would have been a huge shot in the arm for local film production.
I haven't seen Saw, but I did see Wolf Creek which I thought was great - it was good to see a horror with nice cinematography. Other Aussie films I've enjoyed are Candy, Romper Stomper, Kenny, Getting Square, The Castle (I love that film, I've seen it multiple times).
Old 05-20-2009, 06:19 AM   #40
ferris wheel junkie

i wonder how nick cave's gladiator thing will turn out then.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #41
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i wonder how nick cave's gladiator thing will turn out then.
I don't think it will - I think it got canned for being too weird. Also ferris - did you almost get washed away yesterday? I was watching the news of the flooding up in Brisbane.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #42
Sydneyfan

I am now picturing ferris on a life raft, listening to Bjork while she waits to be rescued from the floodwaters.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #43
ferris wheel junkie

thankfully i'm fine!

the traffic was awful yesterday but that is the worst thing that happened to me, so i can't complain.
at least the drought is officially over.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #44
Sydneyfan

Ha, good to know. We are getting the tail end of all that rain here today. Yucko.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #45
radioradi0

radioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Maybe what we lack is the writers and directors, I dunno.
John Duigan's an amazing Aussie director. "The Year My Voice Broke", "Flirting" (with a young Nicole Kidman in a minor role) and "Sirens" changed my life. And I bet it was the star power of Holly Hunter and the indie cred of Harvey Keitel that got "The Piano" noticed, even though Jane Campion's directing is so brilliant. "Portrait of a Lady" was much the same, in terms of needing star power to draw money and an audience.

antipodeans
radioradi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #46
ferris wheel junkie

wasn't sure if i should put this here or in the misc news stories.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014239,00.html
Old 05-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #47
ferris wheel junkie

Chk-Chk Boom chick Clare Werbeloff made up Sydney shooting account

By Richard Clune and Lisa Mayoh

The Sunday Telegraph

May 24, 2009 12:01am

INTERNET sensation Clare Werbeloff, instantly famous for her eyewitness account of a shooting in Sydney's Kings Cross last weekend, has admitted she fabricated the story.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the 19-year-old told investigating police that she "made the whole thing up".

"We've spoken to her, but she's not a witness to the shooting," a senior Kings Cross officer said.

"She's told police that she didn't actually see it."

In an interview with Channel Nine immediately after the shooting, Ms Werbeloff gave a vivid account which was posted on YouTube and attracted more than 200,000 views.

"There were these two wogs fighting," Ms Werbeloff told Channel Nine.

"The fatter wog said to the skinnier wog: 'Oi bro, you slept with my cousin'. And the other one said: 'Nah man, I didn't for s---, eh' and the other one goes: 'I will call on my fully sick boys, eh'. And then pulled out a gun and went: Chk-chk boom!"
Related Coverage

It sounded a bit too dramatic, she just wanted attention.

But her detailed eye-witness account was false.

As Ms Werbeloff's newly hired agent, Adam Abrams, confirmed, "She was not a witness. She saw the camera, ran over to it and told this story."

Mr Abrams said Ms Werbeloff had gone into hiding after having media camped outside her home.

She has also signed a contract with Channel Nine's A Current Affair and is likely to appear tomorrow night - but Mr Abrams denied she has received payment for the interview.

"She wanted to get the truth out there after the police contacted her about being a witness," Mr Abrams said.

On Friday the footage was attracting more than 17,000 viewers an hour on Channel Nine's MSN website.

A parody dance song was created using her quotes, while T-shirts and mugs emblazoned with her words and image were being sold just a day after the clips were uploaded.

Bloggers across the globe hotly debated the authenticity of Clare's account while a Facebook group, Clare The Kings Cross Bogan, had attracted more than 13,000 fans.

The day after the shooting, Ms Werbeloff wrote on her Facebook page: "You all got Punk'd" - adding later, "I can't believe how big it's got. It's a joke."

On Wednesday she added: "Got a little too loose in the Cross on Sat ha ha enjoy my clip."

The shooting victim, Justin Kallu, 27, said earlier this week: "I'm just a bit upset about the fact that I've been shot and that I almost lost my life and there's this girl all over the news getting popular all because she has no brains."

Old 05-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #48
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Oh, god. Defamer has been all over this story, if only for the trashbag/bogan element.

there's this girl all over the news getting popular all because she has no brains

I think he just described the majority of Australian TV.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #49
Sydneyfan

At the very least it describes the entire cast of Home and Away.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #50
Sydneyfan

Also, The Gruen Transfer. Overrated - yea or nay? I say yea. Watched it a few times now - its okay, but I don't get why its been such a huge hit.
Sponsored Links

Tags
a dingo ate my baby, antipodeans, australia, australia is awesome, australia sux, flying kangaroo, julia gillard talks funny, new zealand, new zealand is awesome, new zealand six, nick cave is awesome, sport is stupid, tby staple thread, vegemite is owned by the u.s.