TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:14 AM   #1026
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

If there are any more twists in the Baby Gammy saga, Australia will be in danger of breaking the internet.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:44 AM   #1027
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI#t=211
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #1028
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

That explains the guy who called me the other day and said (in a thick Indian accent) that he was "calling from the credit department of the Australian government". Hilarity.

When I laughed and pointed out that the Australian government doesn't have a credit department he told he to fuck off and hung up. Worst attempted scam ever.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #1029
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
That explains the guy who called me the other day and said (in a thick Indian accent) that he was "calling from the credit department of the Australian government". Hilarity.

When I laughed and pointed out that the Australian government doesn't have a credit department he told he to fuck off and hung up. Worst attempted scam ever.
AWESOME
Old 09-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #1030
Sydneyfan

Sydney's property market has reached new levels of crazy. People camped outside a real estate agent's office for up to three days in order to secure lots in a limited land release in the city's north-west (READ- very very far away from anything interesting). And all for the bargain price of more than $500,000 for a tiny 480sqm block. You'd need at least another $200,000 to build a half decent house on it.

Article here:http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estate...03-10btc7.html
Old 09-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #1031
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

So your PM may not be legit, eh Aussies?

http://www.independentaustralia.net/...tizenship,6859
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:28 AM   #1032
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
So your PM may not be legit, eh Aussies?

http://www.independentaustralia.net/...tizenship,6859
Don't toy with my emotions like that.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #1033
Sydneyfan

Holy hell........cops in Sydney have launched raids against suspected Islamic State supporters, arrested at least 14, with more to follow. The rumour is that the group were planning on beheading one or more random members of the public to protest Australia's decision to join the US in fighting IS.

Police will neither confirm or deny the rumour, which means it's probably true.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #1034
Sydneyfan

Actually.......police commissioner has just formally announced that there was indeed a plot to behead several members of the public within the next couple of days. They won't give out any more details for security reasons.

As an aside, what the hell is the deal with Islamic extremists and beheading? Is it for shock value alone, or is there some kind of cultural background?. It's so flipping medieval.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #1035
Sydneyfan

Oh, and they were also planning a mass shooting too. Bless 'em.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:39 AM   #1036
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

New Zealand election tomorrow. It's going to be tight. Hopefully we can vote out the cunts and bring the good guys in.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #1037
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
New Zealand election tomorrow. It's going to be tight. Hopefully we can vote out the cunts and bring the good guys in.
ABC here is reporting the polls showing a narrow victory to Key. Although it points out it may depend on how many people actually turn up to vote. I always forget you guys have voluntary voting.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:09 AM   #1038
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
ABC here is reporting the polls showing a narrow victory to Key. Although it points out it may depend on how many people actually turn up to vote. I always forget you guys have voluntary voting.
I recently had a discussion with a Kiwi friend about voluntary voting, since I'm from the U.S. where voting isn't mandatory and live in Oz, where it is. He maintains that mandatory voting is a bad idea because a donkey vote or misinformed voter is worse than no vote.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #1039
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
I recently had a discussion with a Kiwi friend about voluntary voting, since I'm from the U.S. where voting isn't mandatory and live in Oz, where it is. He maintains that mandatory voting is a bad idea because a donkey vote or misinformed voter is worse than no vote.
Well, he has a valid point and my husband (who hates compulsory voting with a passion) would agree with him wholeheartedly. I think both systems have their flaws. For instance, voluntary voting tends to naturally favour conservative parties, since older people with mortages, jobs etc are more likely to vote than younger people who often feel uninvolved in the political process.
Voluntary voting is also more likely to allow extremists or one-agenda parties who happen to capture the zeitgeist for a moment, to gain more power than they probably should.

So it's swings and roundabouts for me.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #1040
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Well, he has a valid point and my husband (who hates compulsory voting with a passion) would agree with him wholeheartedly. I think both systems have their flaws. For instance, voluntary voting tends to naturally favour conservative parties, since older people with mortages, jobs etc are more likely to vote than younger people who often feel uninvolved in the political process.
Voluntary voting is also more likely to allow extremists or one-agenda parties who happen to capture the zeitgeist for a moment, to gain more power than they probably should.

So it's swings and roundabouts for me.

Yeah, same for me.
I can see flaws and benefits in both systems. So I've pretty much been on the fence for the last ten years. The weather is nice up here.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #1041
Sydneyfan

I wouldn't mind too much if they replaced our preferential voting system with first past the post though. Preferences gave us Clive-o-saurus and the other assorted mouth-breathers currently holding the balance of power in the Senate.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #1042
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

I think Scott Ludlam might be my political boyfriend.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #1043
Sydneyfan

Quote:
I think Scott Ludlam might be my political boyfriend.

Ha, he's not bad at all. I always though Jason Clare was pretty easy on the eye too.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #1044
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Ha, he's not bad at all. I always though Jason Clare was pretty easy on the eye too.
Oh, I've fallen prey to Ludlam's speeches well before his looks.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #1045
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Oh, I've fallen prey to Ludlam's speeches well before his looks.
Not me. I am very shallow.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #1046
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Not me. I am very shallow.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #1047
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Well, this is upsetting.

Quote:
Terror laws clear Senate, enabling entire Australian web to be monitored and whistleblowers to be jailed

Australian spies will soon have the power to monitor the entire Australian internet with just one warrant, and journalists and whistleblowers will face up to 10 years' jail for disclosing classified information.

The government's first tranche of tougher anti-terrorism bills, which will beef up the powers of the domestic spy agency ASIO, passed the Senate by 44 votes to 12 on Thursday night with bipartisan support from Labor.
The bill, the National Security Legislation Amendment Bill (No. 1) 2014, will now be sent to the House of Representatives, where passage is all but guaranteed on Tuesday at the earliest.

Anyone - including journalists, whistleblowers and bloggers - who "recklessly" discloses "information ... [that] relates to a special intelligence operation" faces up to 10 years' jail.

Any operation can be declared "special" by an authorised ASIO officer.
This also gives ASIO immunity for criminal and civil liability in certain circumstances.

Many, including lawyers and academics, have said they fear the agency will abuse this power.

Those who identify ASIO agents could also face a decade in prison under the new bill, a tenfold increase on the existing maximum penalty.

The new bill also allows ASIO to seek just one warrant to access a limitless number of computers on a computer network when attempting to monitor a target, which lawyers, rights groups, academics and Australian media organisations have condemned.

They said this would effectively allow the entire internet to be monitored, as it is a "network of networks" and the bill does not specifically define what a computer network is.

ASIO will also be able to copy, delete, or modify the data held on any of the computers it has a warrant to monitor.

The bill also allows ASIO to disrupt target computers, and use innocent third-party computers not targeted in order to access a target computer.

Professor George Williams of the University of NSW has warned previously the bill was too broad.

And, unlike the government's controversial plans to get internet providers to store metadata for up to two years, the bill passed on Thursday allows for the content of communications to be stored.

Most groups that had complained about the new bill also said they feared its disclosure offences went too far, with the Australian Lawyers Alliance saying they would have "not just a chilling effect but a freezing effect" on national security reporting.

Attorney-General George Brandis did not seek to allay their concerns on Thursday but said that, in a "newly dangerous age", it was vital that those protecting Australia were equipped with the powers and capabilities they needed.

When the bill passed on Thursday night, he said it was the most important reform for Australia's intelligence agencies since the late 1970s.

On Wednesday afternoon, Senator Brandis confirmed that, under the legislation, ASIO would be able to use just one warrant to access numerous devices on a network.

The warrant would be issued by the director-general of ASIO or his deputy.

"There is no arbitrary or artificial limit on the number of devices," Senator Brandis told the Senate.

However, Senator Brandis did say on Thursday that the new bills did not target journalists specifically, despite concerns from media organisations that they would be targets.

The new legislation instead targeted those who leaked classified information, such as the former US National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden, Senator Brandis said.

"These provisions have nothing to do with the press."

Despite this, Senator Brandis refused to say whether reporting on cases similar to Australia's foreign spy agency ASIS allegedly bugging East Timor's cabinet and the Australian Signals Directorate tapping the Indonesian president and his wife's mobile phone would result in journalists or whistleblowers being jailed.

The Australian Greens, through Senator Scott Ludlam, put forward an amendment that would limit the number of computers ASIO could access with one warrant to 20 but it failed to gain support from Labor or the government.

Speaking after the bill passed, Senator Ludlam told Fairfax Media he was disappointed.

"What we've seen [tonight] is, I think, a scary, disproportionate and unnecessary expansion of coercive surveillance powers that will not make anybody any safer but that affect freedoms that have been quite hard fought for and hard won over a period of decades," Senator Ludlam said.

"I have very grave concerns about the direction that the Australian government seems to be suddenly taking the country."

Independent Senator Nick Xenophon and Liberal Democratic Senator David Leyonhjelm also put forward amendments that would protect whistleblowers but these did not gain enough support either.

The legislation, which also covers a number of other issues, addresses many of the recommendations of a joint parliamentary inquiry into Australia's national security laws.

After concerns were raised by Labor and Senator Leyonhjelm, the government agreed to amend the legislation to specifically rule out ASIO using torture.

"ASIO cannot, does not and has never engaged in torture," Senator Brandis said.

The Palmer United Party was also successful in amending the law so anyone who exposes an undercover ASIO operative could face up to 10 years behind bars instead of one.

"The internet poses one of the greatest threats to our existence," Palmer United Party Senator Glen Lazarus said, speaking out against Senator Ludlam's amendment.

The Australian Greens voted against the bill, slamming the new measures as extreme and a "relentless expansion of powers" of the surveillance state.

Senator Leyonhjelm and Senator Xenophon also opposed the legislation, as did independent Senator John Madigan.

One of the amendments put forward by Senator Xenophon would have required ASIO's watchdog, the Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security, to report publicly each year on how many devices ASIO accessed.

But Labor and the government voted against it, with Senator Brandis saying it "would not be appropriate" to report figures as it would reveal information about ASIO's capabilities.

The legal changes come amid growing concern over Islamic State extremists in the Middle East and terrorism threats at home.

Islamic State (also known as ISIL) has ordered followers to target civilian Australians.

In less than a week, police in two states launched the biggest counter-terrorism raids in Australia's history, and shot dead a known terrorist suspect after he stabbed two officers in Melbourne.

A second anti-terrorism bill targeting foreign fighters was introduced in the Senate on Wednesday and will be debated next month.

These changes have opposition support and would make it a criminal office to travel to a terrorist hot-spot without a reasonable excuse.

A third bill enabling the collection of internet and phone metadata for a period of up to two years for warrantless access by law-enforcement and spy agencies will be introduced later this year.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #1048
Sydneyfan

It's a very staged set-up, and it would have been interesting to have someone abusing a large Muslim man rather than women and a little boy; but at least this Macquarie Uni experiment proves that plenty of people in Oz are capable of telling the difference between ordinary Muslims and lunatic extremists.

The video maker has said that someone intervened to support the Muslim actors on every single occasion.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #1049
Sydneyfan

The haka very nearly becomes an all-in brawl at an Oz vs NZ under 20s Test match.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #1050
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

I'm pretty bummed about Gough Whitlam's passing.

If any other leader tried to bring in universal health care and free university now they'd be laughed out of the country.
Sponsored Links

Tags
a dingo ate my baby, antipodeans, australia, australia is awesome, australia sux, flying kangaroo, julia gillard talks funny, new zealand, new zealand is awesome, new zealand six, nick cave is awesome, sport is stupid, tby staple thread, vegemite is owned by the u.s.