TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #1076
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold
Re: The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #1077
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

From the Abbott press conference that just concluded - looks like Abbott and Bishop will try to convince the party-room to disallow a spill motion. I have no idea whether that's going to work or not - and I'm not sure they do either.

Interesting times in Oz politics. And interesting that Bishop seems to be siding with retaining the status quo rather than attempting a challenge herself. Might be loyalty, might just be biding her time.
Sydneyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #1078
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and apparently Morrison has categorically ruled himself out of any challenge for either leader or deputy. Which put the ball firmly back in Turnball's court - all eyes will be on him to either confirm or deny his ambitions. I can't help but think Julie Bishop might be playing the smartest long game out of everyone involved. We'll see I guess.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:03 PM   #1079
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Oh, and apparently Morrison has categorically ruled himself out of any challenge for either leader or deputy. Which put the ball firmly back in Turnball's court - all eyes will be on him to either confirm or deny his ambitions. I can't help but think Julie Bishop might be playing the smartest long game out of everyone involved. We'll see I guess.
Totally agree with you on JB.

I reckon Turnbull should go for it.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #1080
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
Totally agree with you on JB.

I reckon Turnbull should go for it.
Turnbull is ambitious (what politician isn't?) but clever. If he goes for this and loses he probably realises he's just eventually opening the door to Bishop (with Morrison a likely deputy methinks) . And he'll most likely be finished as political force. It'll be a big decision and a big risk to run. Tuesday should be fascinating.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:21 AM   #1081
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

James Hennessy weighs in:

Quote:
Friends, it’s on.

Australia is now at that glorious point of our national life where you could, conceivably, pick up the phone, call the ABC, and scream “I’ve heard there’s leadership speculation!” and cause the utter collapse of the government within a week. It is a good place for us to be.

The latest victim of Australia’s churning political apparatus is “Big” Tony Abbott, who – after valiantly serving our democracy with savage cuts, knighthoods for crusty old royals and that absurdly strange tongue thing he does while talking – is almost certain to be knifed within the next week. Few will weep for his demise, but the question remains: who will replace him?

As an extremely stupid and belligerent bloke, I feel it’s my God-given right to start naming names. Who will be our next Prime Minister?

Malcolm Turnbull
For when you absolutely need an extremely wealthy man running Australia like his own private country club, but don’t want the balls-to-the-wall nuttiness of Clive Palmer, it’s pretty difficult to overlook Malcolm Turnbull. Whereas Palmer runs the real risk of spending Australia’s entire tax revenue on a wild scheme to resurrect the dinosaurs and force them to work in his coal mines, Turnbull will likely do slightly less crazy things - like cut welfare for people who aren’t in the same tax bracket as him.

This silver fox, who has been thirsting hard for the leadership ever since Abbott knifed him for having the tenacity to be correct about climate change, seems like the frontrunner.

Main strengths: has managed to trick most twentysomething progressives into believing that he isn’t like the other extremely rich whackos who enter parliamentary politics. Looks like Richie Rich if he didn’t die young and become Casper the Ghost. Good hair.

Julie Bishop
Everyone who saw Bishop give her wild-eyed glare to someone who dared interrupt her on Q&A knew immediately that she was destined to rule Australia as an iron-fisted autocrat.

Bishop seems like the lone beacon of competence on the Coalition frontbench - save for Scott Morrison, who unfortunately doesn’t have time to lead because of his second job as as a Super Mario boss.

Her emoji game, proven to be as deft as her handling of foreign affairs, will allow her to engage with a youth audience who have abandoned the English language in favour of the smiling poop emoji, repeated forever.

Main strengths: Almost certainly likes Nickelback less than Joe Hockey.

Kevin Rudd
They say that great things come in threes, and this maxim should surely apply to Kevin Rudd’s prime ministership. We’ve given him a spin twice – a third go will be the sweet spot.

His extremely patronising manner of speech would be well-suited to any political platform, and the Australian people are absolutely ready to hear his opinions on a wide variety of topics again.

The fact that he is actually a Labor member should be considered a minor roadblock. His ambition knows no obstacles.

Main strengths: Beloved by all Australians, already knows where the staplers are kept in the Prime Minister’s Office.

Shane Warne
One of the most enduring complaints about Tony Abbott is that he is out of touch with the average Australian on the street. A rudimentary glance at Warnie’s Instagram reveals that he couldn’t possibly have the same issue. He is a man of simple pleasures: cold beers, ham & pineapple pizzas, disgracefully coloured collared shirts and ruthless spin bowling.

Warnie wouldn’t run into the same problems with the Senate – any refusal to pass his legislation would result in the deployment of another Gatting Ball. Bill Shorten delivering a rebuke to the Coalition budget? No dramas. Warnie could humiliate him with a perfectly executed legspin, which Shorten would be utterly unable to defend himself against.

Main strengths: Extremely respectful, humble and bipartisan areas.

A plastic bag drifting listlessly in the wind
A dark horse contender, but one with a lot of clout. Whispers in the Coalition party room have picked up ever since the latest polls found that the plastic bag, last seen stuck on the roof of a bus shelter, scored highest on empathy, competence and intelligence.

The bag, which still has a Woolworths receipt at the bottom of it, is believed to be a prudential financial manager.

Main strengths: Not biodegradable, so it’s absolutely in it for the long run.

Joe Hockey
C’mon, guys.

Main strengths: Isn’t Scott Morrison.

It’s a strong showing. One thing is for certain: regardless of who wins the inevitable spill, the real winner will be the people of Australia.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #1082
Sydneyfan

Ha, from that list I would back Warnie. Although it would probably all end in tears after he was discovered sexting Angela Merkel.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #1083
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

From this morning:

Quote:
JOURNALIST:

Do you want to be the Prime Minister?

MALCOLM TURNBULL:

No, no, just hang on. But we are not some kind of -- we're the Liberal Party, we are Australia. And again, quoting Tony from yesterday, we don’t require our MPs and ministers to pledge loyalty morning, noon and night. I’m in the cabinet. I’m in the cabinet. I support the Prime Minister. Julie Bishop has said she’s in the cabinet.

She supports the Prime Minister. I mean, you don’t have to keep saying that all the time and the demanding of it from you is just not Australian. I mean, we’re on the team. It’s like saying to someone playing for the Roosters, do you support the team? Do you support the team? It’s just a ridiculous question. Of course we’re part of the team. But we have a process going on.

It’s been brought about by some -- it's been instigated by some members from Western Australia who I know but no one would ever imagine they have been doing that on my behalf or anyone else’s behalf. This is a grassroots issue that has been raised. And that has got to be respected. And so look, I hope that explains where things are going.

My focus is, I respect the party room. You can never consult with the party room and the members too much. I mean, Tony is there and hence I am there in my position because of them. We’re there because of them. You know, we talk about leaders winning this and winning that; the reality is that we are there because each and every one of those Members of the House of Representatives won their seat. That’s why we’re there and we’re there because of their support. So we have to respect them.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:40 AM   #1084
Sydneyfan

Quote:
From this morning:
So, in other words Malcolm, if we get the numbers for a spill, it's bloody well on.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #1085
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Old 02-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #1086
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Sexay, sure. But looks at Tones Dirty Dancing.......

Old 02-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #1087
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Sexay, sure. But looks at Tones Dirty Dancing.......

I love these because I know the Herald Sun would never, ever use them.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #1088
Sydneyfan

Looks like he's escaped for now, but the vote was hardly a ringing endorsement. I was amused at the fact there was one informal vote - either someone is a complete idiot or a Federal politician thinks donkey voting is a fun idea.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #1089
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Looks like he's escaped for now, but the vote was hardly a ringing endorsement. I was amused at the fact there was one informal vote - either someone is a complete idiot or a Federal politician thinks donkey voting is a fun idea.
I know, I think 99.98% of the media are screaming, "Not if, but when!"
Old 02-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #1090
Sydneyfan

So Australia is going to compete in Eurovision 2015 I don't think they have announced who our entrant will be. Hopefully someone super-cheesy and potentially embarrassing. Are Air Supply still alive? They'd be good.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #1091
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
So Australia is going to compete in Eurovision 2015 I don't think they have announced who our entrant will be. Hopefully someone super-cheesy and potentially embarrassing. Are Air Supply still alive? They'd be good.
Like my friend said, now is the perfect time for Bardot to reform. And when we win, we're taking the party to Mittagong RSL. Or maybe slightly bigger. Gundagai?
Old 02-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #1092
Sydneyfan

ah Bardot...... I could never understand why their music wasn't taken more seriously......

And Sophie Monk just lost her Sydney radio gig, so she's probably got some free time now too.

Mittagong RSL is an outstanding venue no doubt, but if you really want to class it up - you can't go past Rooty Hill RSL. It even has a 10 pin bowling alley, plus you get to snicker every time you say "rooty". Good times.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #1093
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Someone's started a petition to get TISM to reform and represent Australia at Eurovision.
I am all for that.

https://www.change.org/p/the-austral...urovision-2015
Old 02-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #1094
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Someone's started a petition to get TISM to reform and represent Australia at Eurovision.
I am all for that.

https://www.change.org/p/the-austral...urovision-2015
Quote:
Given Australia's proud, long and storied history of voting for incredibly stupid shit and somehow taking pride in it, our official position of being able to vote in Eurovision 2015 will simply take our moronic stances to the global stage.
Yesssssssss
Old 02-11-2015, 11:59 PM   #1095
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Bummer!

Quote:
Eurovision 2015: TISM 37 times more popular than Kylie Minogue as proposed Australian representative

A former member of irreverent but defunct Australian rock band TISM says the group won't be fulfilling the wishes of petitioners calling on it to strive for the Eurovision finals in May.

Unless they are offered an obscenely large sum of money.

On Wednesday, news broke that Australia - despite being some 15,000km from Europe - had been formally invited to compete at Eurovision 2015 in Austria. A representative has not yet been named.

According to two petitions since posted on the website change.org, support for the faceless 1990s Melbourne rock band to represent Australia swamps Kylie's by proportions of roughly 37 to 1.

TISM (This is Serious Mum) produced a series of beloved anti-pop anthems in the mid-1990s and early 2000s, such as (He'll Never be an) Ol Man River and Greg! The Stop Sign!!. It later broadened its palette to include The Parable of Glenn McGrath's Hair, If You're Not Famous at Fourteen, You're Finished and Everyone Else Has Had More Sex Than Me. TISM last performed in 2004.

So far 251 people have signed a change.org petition calling for Kylie to represent Australia, while more than 9300 have supported the call for TISM to take the stage in Vienna from May 23.

"My official position is I cannot comment on behalf of TISM due to respect for my former colleagues and artisic integrity," said former member Humphrey B. Flaubert (Damian Cowell).

"However if a giant multinational with horrendous human rights record was to give me a huge cheque I'll dob in my grandmother."

Flaubert found the petition: "Hilarious and deeply flattering [that TISM was associated] with trashy crap disco music performed in a shoddy cheesy fashion in a highly rigged political arena.

"But it's all good."

Cowell did raise the point that the timing of the petition could be fishy, given his own project, Damian Cowell's Disco Machine is playing at Sydney's Newtown Social Club on Saturday. In other words, could it be a promotional stunt designed to draw punters?
"It does have the whiff of a huge media hoax by me, doesn't it?" Cowell said.
"You've got to ask yourself 'are you the subject of a terrible dupe'? Some kind of KLF-like scheme? Are you part of the great media-art installation construct?
"I would say that if I had constructed the entire stunt myself I would neither confirm no deny it, but leave it hanging there like one of the horrendous long pauses in My Kitchen Rules."

Whatever we fell for, if anything, like so many Australians we fell willingly.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #1096
Sydneyfan

Looks like time is finally running out for the two of the Bali Nine facing execution.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ution#comments

I don't know what your views are on the death penalty shell, but I'm against it in every case, and under every circumstance. Not that some people don't deserve to die for their crimes, but I don't believe the state has the right to impose that penalty.

Anyhow, a moot point now for these guys, sadly.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #1097
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Looks like time is finally running out for the two of the Bali Nine facing execution.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ution#comments

I don't know what your views are on the death penalty shell, but I'm against it in every case, and under every circumstance. Not that some people don't deserve to die for their crimes, but I don't believe the state has the right to impose that penalty.

Anyhow, a moot point now for these guys, sadly.
Yep, punishment does not fit the crime and I am generally vehemently opposed to the death penalty.

Bali is not getting any of my tourism dollars ever.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #1098
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Bali is not getting any of my tourism dollars ever.
Same. Although, I doubt I'd be bothered to go back anyhow. Aussies have managed to totally ruin the place.

I also think the AFP should be investigated for their role in tipping off the Indonesians about the mules, instead of simply stopping the operation in Australia and arresting them here. Or better still, stopping the operation and actually going after the top dogs in the operation instead of the couriers.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #1099
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:

I also think the AFP should be investigated for their role in tipping off the Indonesians about the mules, instead of simply stopping the operation in Australia and arresting them here. Or better still, stopping the operation and actually going after the top dogs in the operation instead of the couriers.
Precisely.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:30 AM   #1100
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Hey Syd (and anyone else who wants to weigh in), I'm in Sydney this week and going to the Conor Oberst concert at Taronga Zoo - the ticket price doesn't include zoo entry for the day so if I want to see the animals then I will have to pay for zoo entry. I really like zoos, and I've heard that Taronga is a great zoo but I checked out the entry fees and $46, damn! Do you know if it's worth it? That's a lot of money to go to the zoo.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
a dingo ate my baby, antipodeans, australia, australia is awesome, australia sux, flying kangaroo, julia gillard talks funny, new zealand, new zealand is awesome, new zealand six, nick cave is awesome, sport is stupid, tby staple thread, vegemite is owned by the u.s.