TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 AM   #1101
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold
Re: The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Hey Syd (and anyone else who wants to weigh in), I'm in Sydney this week and going to the Conor Oberst concert at Taronga Zoo - the ticket price doesn't include zoo entry for the day so if I want to see the animals then I will have to pay for zoo entry. I really like zoos, and I've heard that Taronga is a great zoo but I checked out the entry fees and $46, damn! Do you know if it's worth it? That's a lot of money to go to the zoo.
I've heard really good things about it. Seems to have a high Trip Advisor rating too.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #1102
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey Syd (and anyone else who wants to weigh in), I'm in Sydney this week and going to the Conor Oberst concert at Taronga Zoo - the ticket price doesn't include zoo entry for the day so if I want to see the animals then I will have to pay for zoo entry. I really like zoos, and I've heard that Taronga is a great zoo but I checked out the entry fees and $46, damn! Do you know if it's worth it? That's a lot of money to go to the zoo.
Yeah, it's not cheap but Taronga is a fantastic zoo. If you enjoy zoos, I think you'll find the entry price worth it. Plus, the views over the Harbour are spectacular as well. If you can, try to catch a ferry to the Zoo. It's a lovely way to travel and you'll see some more of Sydney from the water.

Hope you have a great time here - let me know if I can offer any other advice.
Sydneyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:46 AM   #1103
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Yeah, it's not cheap but Taronga is a fantastic zoo. If you enjoy zoos, I think you'll find the entry price worth it. Plus, the views over the Harbour are spectacular as well. If you can, try to catch a ferry to the Zoo. It's a lovely way to travel and you'll see some more of Sydney from the water.

Hope you have a great time here - let me know if I can offer any other advice.
Thanks . Yes, I will definitely get the ferry (it's included in the price of the concert ticket). I think I probably will do the zoo then. Anything else that I really should check out? I'm staying in the central city and plan on just doing a lot of walking around between all of the record stores (I find that a good way to see cities that I visit). Going down to Thirroul on Thursday for a show as well, will be catching the train down - do you know if it would be worth be catching a train earlier in the day (if it's worthwhile spending the afternoon there)?
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #1104
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks . Yes, I will definitely get the ferry (it's included in the price of the concert ticket). I think I probably will do the zoo then. Anything else that I really should check out? I'm staying in the central city and plan on just doing a lot of walking around between all of the record stores (I find that a good way to see cities that I visit). Going down to Thirroul on Thursday for a show as well, will be catching the train down - do you know if it would be worth be catching a train earlier in the day (if it's worthwhile spending the afternoon there)?
It's been a long while since I've been to Thirroul, but the main attraction there would be the beach - which is lovely. I think you can hire push-bikes and cycle around the place, but it's a fairly sleepy place. So you could fill in an afternoon if the weather was nice and if you like beach scenery I guess.

In terms of things to do in Sydney - here's some ideas that should be easy since you're centrally based.

* Walk/picnic in the Royal Botanic Gardens. Free entry.

* Visit the Queen Victoria Building (QVB) retail centre. The shops are very pricey, but the building itself is the attraction - it's fully restored and quite magnificent. Worth a wander around and a bit of window shopping.

* Catch a ferry to Manly and have a coffee/lunch on The Promenade. Gorgeous trip and Manly Beach and surrounds are buzzy spots.

* Catch a bus to Bondi. See the beach, wander along Campbell Parade, do the Bondi to Coogee ocean cliff walk if you're feeling energetic (its about 6 kms and the ocean scenery is stunning)

* Walk across the Harbour Bridge. The Bridge Climb is apparently fantastic, but it's expensive.

* The Rocks. The most historic part of Sydney and well worth a visit.

* Visit Chinatown. It's liveliest at night. Lots of super-cheap Chinese eateries. Avoid the big, impressive looking places like Golden Century. They are great, but cost a bomb.

* Visit the Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA). It's opposite Circular Quay. Free entry and some wonderful art collections.

* City fringe areas worth checking out - Surry Hills (especially Crown Street for eateries and boutiques), Newtown (funky and bohemian, with a heap of cheap cafes and interesting little shops. Great place for people-watching)

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 03-02-2015 at 04:46 PM..
Old 03-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #1105
Sydneyfan

I haven't used these guys myself, but I've seen them around and Trip Advisor is full of praise. Free walking tours of Sydney, daily. Also night tours of The Rocks. Tours are approx. three hours, you get a Sydney map, and it's probably a good way to orientate yourself to the city.

http://www.imfree.com.au/sydney/
Old 03-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #1106
Sydneyfan

Just another thought.......I don't know how long you'll be in Sydney, but if you want a full day trip and a change of scenery, I'd recommend the Blue Mountains. It's about a 90 drive from Sydney and there are a heap of bus companies that run day tours. Alternatively, you could catch the train.

Highlights would be Echo Point at Katoomba, with stunning views over The Three Sisters. The site also incorporates Scenic World. That offers a scenic railway, cableway or skyway, plus there are lots of walking trails.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #1107
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

I am WAY too excited about renouncing my citizenship.

I guess that means I'm doing the right thing.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 PM   #1108
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
I am WAY too excited about renouncing my citizenship.

I guess that means I'm doing the right thing.
Can you not have dual US-Australian citizenship?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:49 AM   #1109
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Can you not have dual US-Australian citizenship?
I have for the last five years.

The thing is, because I know I'm not coming back here on a permanent basis and I know I want to set up shop elsewhere, I would need money to set myself up. And the only way to take my super out is to give up my Australian citizenship. Extreme, I know, but that's the way it is.

My boss, ever the man of great decorum, said, "Shit...don't let any asylum seekers find out you're giving that up."
Old 03-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #1110
Sydneyfan

Quote:
The thing is, because I know I'm not coming back here on a permanent basis and I know I want to set up shop elsewhere, I would need money to set myself up. And the only way to take my super out is to give up my Australian citizenship. Extreme, I know, but that's the way it is.
Ahh, gotcha. I didn't realise that about the super. Makes sense, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #1111
Sydneyfan

Guy Sebastian is going to represent us at Eurovision. I suppose he's got the cheese factor covered.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:21 AM   #1112
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Guy Sebastian is going to represent us at Eurovision. I suppose he's got the cheese factor covered.
I had to laugh when I read a tweet about it this morning saying, "I like how fans of Eurovision all of sudden have standards."
Old 03-05-2015, 12:32 AM   #1113
Sydneyfan

Quote:
I had to laugh when I read a tweet about it this morning saying, "I like how fans of Eurovision all of sudden have standards."
Yes, precisely.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #1114
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Rarely have I cringed as hard as I've simultaneously laughed.

Quote:
Karl Stefanovic apologises on Today show to New Zealand, Indian cricket fans

Today Show host Karl Stefanovic has eaten a spicy curry and watched close-up a performance of the Haka as penance for controversial comments he made on air.
The gaffe-prone Stefanovic triggered a social media storm on Thursday when he asked an Indian cricket fan "who's going to be manning the 7-Elevens today?" and called Kiwi cricket fans a "dole bludger army".
In typical-Stefanovic style, he offered a less than conventional apology to those who had got "hot under the collar" about his two remarks.

The apology started off fairly run-of-the-mill.
"The comments were only ever intended to be taken in the most light-hearted possible way but as most of you know… I have a wayward, misguided sense of humour," Stefanovic said.
"In fact as plenty of you say and have pointed out – I have no sense at all.
"Firstly to those members of the Indian community, our guest yesterday Kartik gave as good as he got and that banter continued in the true spirit of the World Cup after the show. We had a great conversation. He owned me on air and he owned me off air.

"It was thought to be fun, it was fun, I enjoyed, he enjoyed it, but some of you didn't. For anyone interpreting the comments in a different way my sincere apologies."
That might have sufficed, but Stefanovic – of course – continued.

"I love India and I love the contribution Indians make across many different vocations in this great country. Our country is richer for having you and so are our sauces."
Things just got weirder as he then directed his apology to those offended by the he comments he made about New Zealand cricket fans.

"For my Kiwi brothers and sisters. Calling you dole-bludgers was an awful, cheap stereotype and just not true," he said.
"As we all know, you can't get the dole in Australia.
"Again though, my sincere heartfelt apology to anyone across the ditch or in Bondi who took offence."
It all built up to this finale.
"Just because you've got a cool, happening and effective government and a really, really attractive lot of livestock doesn't mean I should take the sheep out of you," he said.
At this point, the camera cut to Richards Wilkins who shook his head and said: "This is not going well."

But an increasingly passionate Stefanovic continued: "I love all of you in New Zealand. I love your wine. I lived there for two years. I count two Kiwi blokes amongst my best friends, in fact, my only friends."

Finally, he invited New Zealanders to "get across the ditch".
"So what I want to say to all of you this morning in Aotearoa, the land of the long white cloud is this: whack on a pair of jandals and get across the ditch. It's my shout Sunday no matter what happens. All of you, four million of you, let's go."

How very Stefanovic.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #1115
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Great. Our PM is becoming as cringe inducing as Tony Abbott http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...embarrassment/
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #1116
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Great. Our PM is becoming as cringe inducing as Tony Abbott http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...embarrassment/
Wow.

Tony skolling a beer in a pub last week in order to stay relevant was bad enough.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #1117
Sydneyfan

The Indonesian government = despicable.

Quote:
Indonesian authorities have refused Bali nine duo Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran the right to have a pastor of their choice to witness their executions, outraging their families.
In heartbreaking scenes, the families of the condemned men arrived at the port of Cilacap for their last visit to Nusakambangan prison island, surrounded by friends.
Sukumaran's sister Brintha collapsed as she wailed in grief, surrounded by a large media pack. His mother Raji was also deeply distraught.

Chan's family arrived soon after, protected by embassy officials. Brother Michael was ashen faced, his mother Helen covered her face as she sobbed.
As they walked to the port, police with dogs tried to break up the media pack, with at least one journalist bitten on the leg.

Within an hour of the families' distressing and chaotic walk to Cilacap port, a convoy of 12 ambulances arrived. Inside nine of them were white coffins for each of those to be executed.
Adding to the anguish was news Chan and Sukumaran would not get their choice of minister.
In an SMS, Michael Chan told Fairfax Media: "Last bit of dignity denied."
The decision, relayed this morning, follows earlier assurances to diplomats that Christian ministers Christie Buckingham and David Soper, who are close to both men, would be able to comfort the men in their last moments on earth.
Indonesian authorities said, instead, they would supply their own Christian advisers in line with the men's stated religion. The decision was made on the instruction of the office of the attorney general.

It is the latest of several snubs by Indonesia to Australia over the executions. Last week, Indonesia refused to heed the plea of Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop not to announce the executions would take place on Anzac Day.
The executions are proceeding despite the strong objections of the Australian government and the fact that a constitutional court challenge by the two men has been given a hearing date on May 12.

The two Australian members of the Bali nine heroin smuggling ring are expected to be killed by a firing squad at midnight on Tuesday, or shortly thereafter.

Meanwhile, a message was read out on behalf of the girlfriend of Raheem Agbaje Salami, one of seven drug felons to be executed alongside Chan and Sukumaran.
"I beg to [Indonesian President] Mr Joko Widodo and all of Indonesia to stop the execution. They're good people and deserve for a second chance," said the girlfriend, who signed the letter "Angela".
"I love my boyfriend and I do love all of them."
Raheem has shared a four-cell prison block with the two Australians since they were moved from Bali's Kerobokan prison to Nusakambangan in March.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bali-9-e...28-1muvxv.html
Old 04-28-2015, 01:04 AM   #1118
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Just completely heartbreaking. I can't imagine what the families are having to endure.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #1119
Sydneyfan

RIP

Old 04-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #1120
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
RIP

Observing many moments of silence this morning.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #1121
Sydneyfan

Abbott has just announced that Australia is withdrawing our ambassador from Indonesia. Julie Bishop is also scheduled to make a press announcement about further possible actions against Indonesia this morning.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #1122
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Abbott has just announced that Australia is withdrawing our ambassador from Indonesia. Julie Bishop is also scheduled to make a press announcement about further possible actions against Indonesia this morning.
Oh, wow.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #1123
Sydneyfan

Amnesty International has set up a page where the public can leave messages of condolence for the families:

https://www.amnesty.org.au/thank-you...enalty-crisis/
Old 05-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #1124
Sydneyfan

So, according to the AFP and their weaselly deputy commissioner Mike Phelan, the AFP did nothing wrong, therefore have nothing to apologise to anyone for and, might very well do the same thing again in similar circumstances. And to top it all off, he had the nerve to whine about members of the public and press hurting his feelings over his role in the whole incident. ffs.
Hopefully Nick Xenophon gets the numbers he needs for a Senate enquiry - sunlight is always the best disinfectant.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #1125
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

I read there was an earthquake on the South Island of New Zealand. Everything ok?

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
a dingo ate my baby, antipodeans, australia, australia is awesome, australia sux, flying kangaroo, julia gillard talks funny, new zealand, new zealand is awesome, new zealand six, nick cave is awesome, sport is stupid, tby staple thread, vegemite is owned by the u.s.