TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #1126
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Johnny Depp gets a lesson in 'Stralia from Barnaby Joyce

Quote:
Johnny Depp has 50 hours to return his two beloved Yorkshire terriers to the United States or the dogs will be destroyed, Australian Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce warns.

The actor failed to declare his two dogs, Pistol and Boo, to customs authorities when he and his wife, Amber Heard, returned to Queensland by private jet last month.

The Hollywood superstar returned to the Gold Coast set of Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men tell No Tales after flying to the United States to seek treatment for an injured hand sustained during filming.

In a looming showdown that would not be out of place in a Hollywood blockbuster, Mr Joyce gave Depp a deadline to get the dogs out of his country.

"It's time that Pistol and Boo buggered off back the United States," he said.

"He's now got about 50 hours left to remove the dogs, he can put them on the same charter jet he flew out on and fly them back out of our nation.

"We found out he snuck them in because we saw him taking them to a poodle groomer. Now Mr Depp has to either take his dogs back to California or we're going to have to euthanse them."

Quipping that he was unlikely to be invited to the film's premiere, Mr Joyce said and Depp's star status did not exempt him from obeying quarantine laws.

"Just because he's Johnny Depp does not mean he's exempt from Australian law," he told 612 ABC Brisbane.

"There is a process if you want to bring animals in, you get the permits, they go into quarantine and then you can have them.

"You start letting in movie stars, even though they have been the sexiest man alive twice, who come into our nation, why don't we just break the laws for everybody."

He expressed his displeasure at the actor flouting quarantine laws.

"If dogs come in and they have rabies ... the whole life in Brisbane changes. They won't be so sympathetic to Depp at that point in time," he said.

"Think how close it is, it's in Bali, just next door, it's not fanciful stuff. Therefore, we are very diligent about what comes into our nation."

Mr Joyce said Boo and Pistol's presence in the country was discovered when they were taken to Gold Coast dog groomers Happy Dogz and accused Depp of sneaking them in to the country.

"He has decided to bring in to our nation two dogs without actually getting the proper certification and proper permits required. It basically looks like he snuck them in," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/cele...13-gh16td.html
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #1127
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Johnny Depp gets a lesson in 'Stralia from Barnaby Joyce

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/cele...13-gh16td.html
On the one hand, I agree that just because he's Johnny Depp it doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants.

On the other hand, if Barnaby touches those dogs, I swear to god...
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #1128
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Also, I think Waleed Aly is one of the best things to happen to whatever The Project thinks it's trying to be. Thank god someone had the sense to hire him and then put him front and centre.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #1129
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
On the one hand, I agree that just because he's Johnny Depp it doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants.

On the other hand, if Barnaby touches those dogs, I swear to god...
Yeah, but I don't think the dogs are going to be in any danger. If Depp loves them enough to fly them out on his plane, he's not going to let them get killed. Barnaby never misses an opportunity to bluster to a national audience.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #1130
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Yeah, but I don't think the dogs are going to be in any danger. If Depp loves them enough to fly them out on his plane, he's not going to let them get killed. Barnaby never misses an opportunity to bluster to a national audience.
This is what I imagine he looks like every time he does.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #1131
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
This is what I imagine he looks like every time he does.

lolz. He even even looks like a Barnaby.

On the other subject.....I haven't watched The Project for ages, but I usually enjoyed his opinion pieces in the Fairfax media. He's a pretty sharp guy. I never really took to Charlie Pickering. I haven't watched his new show on the ABC, but I did read a couple of very ordinary reviews when it launched.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:13 PM   #1132
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
lolz. He even even looks like a Barnaby.

On the other subject.....I haven't watched The Project for ages, but I usually enjoyed his opinion pieces in the Fairfax media. He's a pretty sharp guy. I never really took to Charlie Pickering. I haven't watched his new show on the ABC, but I did read a couple of very ordinary reviews when it launched.
I watched a bit of Charlie's show while channel surfing last week. Heard all the backlash from people saying it's too similar to John Oliver's show. Then watched a bit of John Oliver. I can certainly see the similarities.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #1133
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Looks like Depp and his wife are taking the dogs and flying back to the US tonight, after they are interviewed (and probably issued with a big fine) by Qld Customs. I would have thought it would have been easier to put the dogs in quarantine rather than hold up the shooting of the movie, but I'm not Johnny Depp obvs.

So looks like Pistol and Boo are safe - provided the US let the dogs back in.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #1134
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Looks like Depp and his wife are taking the dogs and flying back to the US tonight, after they are interviewed (and probably issued with a big fine) by Qld Customs. I would have thought it would have been easier to put the dogs in quarantine rather than hold up the shooting of the movie, but I'm not Johnny Depp obvs.

So looks like Pistol and Boo are safe - provided the US let the dogs back in.
It was still quite dumb of Depp to bring them in at all. As if he couldn't find someone to dog-sit.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #1135
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
It was still quite dumb of Depp to bring them in at all. As if he couldn't find someone to dog-sit.
Ha, exactly. I read this morning they are actually Amber Heard's dogs anyhow, although he obviously lives with them too. So I don't know why they both have to leave the country with the dogs- unless he's just having a tantrum and trying to make a point.

Apparently part of the reason Customs is so pissed off is that earlier this year they went to a lot of effort to allow two monkeys needed for the movie into the country.

It's never wise to underestimate the sheer stubbornness of Australian Customs. My husband once got detained at Sydney airport for four hours because he'd just left a country that had a yellow fever outbreak while he was there, and he wasn't immunized. Customs took him to an isolation area and he had be examined by a doctor before they'd let him leave.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #1136
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Ha, exactly. I read this morning they are actually Amber Heard's dogs anyhow, although he obviously lives with them too. So I don't know why they both have to leave the country with the dogs- unless he's just having a tantrum and trying to make a point.

Apparently part of the reason Customs is so pissed off is that earlier this year they went to a lot of effort to allow two monkeys needed for the movie into the country.

It's never wise to underestimate the sheer stubbornness of Australian Customs. My husband once got detained at Sydney airport for four hours because he'd just left a country that had a yellow fever outbreak while he was there, and he wasn't immunized. Customs took him to an isolation area and he had be examined by a doctor before they'd let him leave.
HAHA.
That must've been quite the letter home that he wrote.

I found this pretty funny and poignant.

Quote:
A concerned Barnaby Joyce voiced his concerns regarding this yesterday: "My worry is will [their country of origin] let them back in? If not ... will they have anywhere to go?"

This is very sweet, although possibly a sentence I would have preferred to hear from a government minister during a discussion about the fate of refugees, but anyway.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #1137
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Well, Pistol and Boo are safe but it seems the Johnny Depp in Australia saga is not over. He's apparently left the country to save his three-month old (yep) marriage. Somewhere on the Gold Coast, a film director is sobbing......

Quote:
HOLLYWOOD star Johnny Depp abandoned ship last night, storming off the Gold Coast set of Pirates of Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales late yesterday to chase his wife Amber Heard back to the US and “salvage his marriage”.

The actor had been due to begin filming key scenes on board his character Captain Jack Sparrow’s beloved ship, The Black Pearl, last night at the $250 million production’s Helensvale set.

However, production sources told the Gold Coast Bulletin Depp fled the set before cameras could start rolling.

“He’s going back to the States on the first available private charter flight he can get on,” a source said last night.

Heard, Depp’s wife of three months, is believed to have returned to the US with her father, David, and the couple’s two dogs, Boo and Pistol, on Friday last week.

The Yorkshire terriers were deported after Depp and Heard failed to declare them to Customs officials when they flew into Brisbane on a private charter flight last month.

Depp had initially been scheduled to return to the States with them but changed his plans at the 11th hour after the film’s producers intervened.

Instead, the 51-year-old “went AWOL” from the Helensvale set for almost two hours shortly before Heard left Gold Coast Airport.
“He disappeared and no one knew where he was,” a source said.

“He eventually came back and continued filming but no one had any idea where he was or why he left.”

US websites yesterday claimed Heard had been banned from the Pirates 5 set by the film’s producers who were tired of disruptions caused by the couple’s constant fighting.

​“Finally, enough was enough, and producers politely asked Johnny to send Amber home as soon as possible,” an insider told US media.

“Right now, everyone’s primary focus should be wrapping up this film. He didn’t want to upset her, so he gently explained the situation and she understood.”

However, sources told the GoldCoast Bulletin Heard had no interest in being here.

Many of those involved in the film were now extremely concerned for Depp’s wellbeing.

Production sources said representatives for the film’s producers, Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films, were last night desperately trying to stop Depp from leaving the country — again.

“Disney like to keep things in-house but there’s no chance of that now,” one said.

Depp fled Australia in March after injuring his hand following a wild weekend of partying at former world motorcycling champion Mick Doohan’s Coomera compound.

Production ground to a halt in the absence of the film’s leading man, with hundreds of local crew stood down for several weeks without pay until he returned to resume work.

Production sources said Depp had surgery to have a pin inserted into his hand and underwent ‘in-home rehab” for alcohol abuse — a claim the film’s producers denied at the time.

Heard’s close friendship with photographer Io Tillett Wright, an activist in the gay and lesbian community, is reportedly causing drama in her marriage to Depp.

Body doubles and stand-ins were expected to step in to cover for Depp on set last night.

“They had a plan B to enact if they couldn’t get Johnny back last time, so they will enact that,” a source said.

Filming of the blockbuster, already $70 million over-budget, is scheduled to wrap in late July.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227362003059
Old 08-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #1138
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

I routinely go for an after-dinner walk with my brother, his wife and the kids. During this evening's walk we ran into this guy! He and his wife were really lovely!

Old 08-11-2015, 12:09 AM   #1139
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I routinely go for an after-dinner walk with my brother, his wife and the kids. During this evening's walk we ran into this guy! He and his wife were really lovely!

Aw, that's nice. I have this theory that anyone named Myles/Miles is pre-destined to be lovely. Never met a Miles/Myles I did't really like.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:33 AM   #1140
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Aw, that's nice. I have this theory that anyone named Myles/Miles is pre-destined to be lovely. Never met a Miles/Myles I did't really like.
His name is actually Phil Lloyd. He also wrote The Moodys and Elegant Gentleman's Guide To Knife Fighting. He seemed really chuffed that I was so familiar with his work and loved it so much. I don't know exactly which house is his, but I know his street now!
Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 AM   #1141
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
His name is actually Phil Lloyd. He also wrote The Moodys and Elegant Gentleman's Guide To Knife Fighting. He seemed really chuffed that I was so familiar with his work and loved it so much. I don't know exactly which house is his, but I know his street now!
Oh, that buggers up my Miles theory then I've heard of The Moodys (and A Moody Christmas?) but never took much notice. I should check it out. Hope you're enjoying being back home!
Old 08-11-2015, 01:33 AM   #1142
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Oh, that buggers up my Miles theory then I've heard of The Moodys (and A Moody Christmas?) but never took much notice. I should check it out. Hope you're enjoying being back home!
Definitely check them out, The Moodys and A Moody Christmas are fantastic. I am very much enjoying being home for a bit, but looking forward to getting back to London soon too.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #1143
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

Tony Abbott's in trouble with his family. Bit awkward no?

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/08/17...qual-marriage/
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #1144
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Eviel View Post
Tony Abbott's in trouble with his family. Bit awkward no?

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/08/17...qual-marriage/
I was so proud to have been the citizen of a country that finally allowed a female to run things for a little while. And now I feel like I left Australia before things got completely ridiculous under him. He is among the most astoundingly ignorant leaders I've ever encountered for a nation that is otherwise so progressive.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:04 PM   #1145
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

The final four flag choices in the upcoming NZ referendum.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #1146
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize that was a thing! Top right, obviously. Although, I do wish it was just the white fern on the black flag.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #1147
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

The 40 prior to reducing it to 4: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_flag_debate
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #1148
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
The final four flag choices in the upcoming NZ referendum.

I don't mind the one on the top right.
The one on the bottom left reminds of Nightmare Before Christmas.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #1149
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

I'm not that enamoured with any of them tbh, but I'd go top right hand corner too. And yes shell, the first thing that came into my mind with the left bottom one was "Looks like a Tim Burton doodle".

I don't know how much support there is in NZ for a change of flag (the winning design will be pitted against the existing flag in a second vote), but I know whenever the idea comes up here the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" argument seems to win out most of the time.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #1150
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I hate them all. Almost everyone here is very indifferent to it, and the four designs haven't been received well.

The process is going to be a two-part referendum:
Referendum 1: Which of the four new designs do you like the best?
Referendum 2: The public gets to choose between the most popular of those four and the existing flag.

My prediction is that the first referendum will have a poor turnout and then the second referendum will be over-whelming towards keeping the existing flag.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links