TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #1251
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future
Re: The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

This guy is quality

lukin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #1252
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

"Nothin' on but me undies". Good on him.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:47 AM   #1253
Inn_Town

Inn_Town will become famous soon enough

Some shocking scenes from Melbourne this morning. I really don't know what would compel someone to do something like this...
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/vict...20-gtvf3x.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Inn_Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #1254
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inn_Town View Post
Some shocking scenes from Melbourne this morning. I really don't know what would compel someone to do something like this...
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/vict...20-gtvf3x.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So horrible, and made worse by the fact that so many small children were involved. The footage of the guy doing doughnuts in the car before mowing the people down......he looked completely crazed.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:12 AM   #1255
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

He fell through the cracks.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #1256
Sydneyfan

Don't know whether these claims are exaggerated/fake news or not, but crazy if true. Original source was Washington Post. Turnbull has declined to comment.

If true, love how Trump was still going on about how he won bigly, even to world leaders who don't give a shit. Also, I could be wrong, but I doubt Trump is "bound" to accept the US-Australia refugee deal just because it was agreed to under Obama. That's why most observers here were so suprised he agreed to it at all. Most thought Trump would ditch it straight away.

Quote:
It should have been one of the most congenial calls for the new commander in chief — a conversation with the leader of Australia, one of America's staunchest allies, at the end of a triumphant week.

Instead, President Trump blasted Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull over a refu*gee agreement and boasted about the magnitude of his electoral college win, according to senior US officials briefed on the Saturday exchange. Then, 25 minutes into what was expected to be an hour-long call, Trump abruptly ended it.

At one point Mr Trump informed Mr Turnbull that he had spoken with four other world leaders that day — including Russian President Vladi*mir Putin — and that, "This was the worst call by far."

Mr Trump's behaviour suggests that he is capable of subjecting world leaders, including close allies, to a version of the vitriol he frequently employs against political adversaries and news organisations in speeches and on Twitter.

US officials said that Mr Trump has behaved similarly in conversations with leaders of other countries, including Mexico. But his treatment of Turnbull was particularly striking because of the tight bond between the United States and Australia — countries that share intelligence, support one another diplomatically and have fought together in wars including in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The characterisations provide insight into Mr Trump's temperament and approach to the diplomatic requirements of his job as the nation's chief executive, a role in which he continues to employ both the uncompromising negotiating tactics he honed as a real estate developer and the bombastic style he exhibited as a reality television personality.

The depictions of Mr Trump's calls are also at odds with sanitised White House accounts. The official read-out of his conversation with Mr Turnbull, for example, said that the two had "emphasised the enduring strength and closeness of the US-Australia relationship that is critical for peace, stability, and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region and globally."

A White House spokesman declined to comment. A senior administration official acknowledged that the conversation with Mr Turnbull had been hostile and charged, but emphasised that most of Mr Trump's calls with foreign leaders — including the heads of Japan, Germany, France and Russia — have been both productive and pleasant.

Mr Trump also vented anger and touted his political accomplishments in a tense conversation with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, officials said. The two have sparred for months over Trump's vow to force Mexico to pay for construction of a border wall between the two countries, a conflict that prompted President Peña Nieto to cancel a planned meeting with Trump.

Mr Trump told President Peña Nieto in last Friday's call, according to the Associated Press, which said it reviewed a transcript of part of the conversation, "You have a bunch of bad hombres down there. You aren't doing enough to stop them. I think your military is scared. Our military isn't, so I just might send them down to take care of it."

But even in conversations marred by hostile exchanges, Mr Trump manages to work in references to his election accomplishments. US officials said that he used his calls with both Mr Turnbull and Mr Peña Nieto to mention his election win or the size of the crowd at his inauguration.

One official said that it may be Mr Trump's way of "speaking about the mandate he has and why he has the backing for decisions he makes". But Mr Trump is also notoriously thin-skinned and has used platforms including social-media accounts, meetings with lawmakers and even a speech at CIA headquarters to depict his victory as an achievement of historic proportions, rather than a narrow outcome in which his opponent, Hillary Clinton, won the popular vote.

The friction with Mr Turnbull reflected Mr Trump's anger over being bound by an agreement reached by the Obama administration to accept refugees from Australian detention sites even while Mr Trump was issuing an executive order suspending such arrivals from elsewhere in the world.

The issue centres on a population of roughly 2500 people who have sought asylum in Australia but were diverted to facilities off that country's coast at Nauru and Manus Island in Papua New Guinea. Deplorable conditions at those sites prompted intervention from the United Nations and a pledge from the United States to accept about half of those refugees, provided they passed US security screening.

Many of the refugees came from Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Somalia.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...02-gu3r6u.html

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 02-01-2017 at 08:07 PM..
Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #1257
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

I've never been more embarrassed to be an american

and thats saying a lot
Old 02-01-2017, 09:59 PM   #1258
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by an old love letter View Post
I've never been more embarrassed to be an american

and thats saying a lot
Nah, a country can always be bigger than it's leader. Anyway, this is getting major coverage here, as you'd expect, and it looks like it's being backed up by other outlets including CNN. Australia will always need the US more than the other way round, but I suppose many here just feel disappointed that as a country that has always been a loyal and trustworthy friend to the US, our PM ends up getting treated like shit, while Putin probably gets his arse kissed.

Australia will doubtless get over it. Hopefully it makes the little Trump cheer-squad that's been developing in our media rethink. Probably more concerning - if the reports of his conversations with both Australia and Mexico are accurate - he basically threatened to invade Mexico.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:42 PM   #1259
Sydneyfan

ha, now Trump is tweeting about it. Of all the fights he could pick in the world, he apparently wants to pick one with Australia. Lolz. We have a shitty policy in regards to boat-arrival refugees, and now Trump is determined to top our shittiness. That's a win I suppose.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #1260
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post

Australia will doubtless get over it. Hopefully it makes the little Trump cheer-squad that's been developing in our media rethink. Probably more concerning - if the reports of his conversations with both Australia and Mexico are accurate - he basically threatened to invade Mexico.
Andrew Bolt? Probably not.
I seriously doubt he's going to invade Mexico, we did give them a lot of our weapons and they still give us a lot of their drugs.

I'm sure Mal was looking at #AustralianPM trending on Twitter yesterday and yelling, "I have a name!!"
Old 02-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #1261
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
Andrew Bolt? Probably not.
I seriously doubt he's going to invade Mexico, we did give them a lot of our weapons and they still give us a lot of their drugs.

I'm sure Mal was looking at #AustralianPM trending on Twitter yesterday and yelling, "I have a name!!"

No, it was in the Washington Post story. Apparently he told the Mexican president that the Mexican army were scared of all the "bad hombres" down there, and Trump suggested he could send the US Army in to get rid of them. It's not meant literally obviously, but its a crazy way for a president to talk to another head of state.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #1262
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
No, it was in the Washington Post story. Apparently he told the Mexican president that the Mexican army were scared of all the "bad hombres" down there, and Trump suggested he could send the US Army in to get rid of them. It's not meant literally obviously, but its a crazy way for a president to talk to another head of state.
Oh, no. I meant Andrew Bolt in response to the Trump cheer-squad. I saw the WaPo story. Every day something scary or stupid or weird comes out and I just can't believe it's real life.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #1263
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
Oh, no. I meant Andrew Bolt in response to the Trump cheer-squad. I saw the WaPo story. Every day something scary or stupid or weird comes out and I just can't believe it's real life.
Ah sorry lovely, I was tired when I read your reply, so was just a bit slow on the uptake.

You'll be delighted to hear how right-wing politicians here are now falling over themselves to become Trump-lites. The odious Cory Bernardi just resigned from the Liberal Party today to set up his own far right wing party. And Pauline Hanson's One Nation party is polling extremely in Queensland and may hold the balance of power there after the next state election. One Nation is polling around 8% nationally, which is a major increase for them.

Blah.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:52 PM   #1264
Inn_Town

Inn_Town will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ah sorry lovely, I was tired when I read your reply, so was just a bit slow on the uptake.

You'll be delighted to hear how right-wing politicians here are now falling over themselves to become Trump-lites. The odious Cory Bernardi just resigned from the Liberal Party today to set up his own far right wing party. And Pauline Hanson's One Nation party is polling extremely in Queensland and may hold the balance of power there after the next state election. One Nation is polling around 8% nationally, which is a major increase for them.

Blah.

Knowing that One Nation's gaining so much support here has made me ashamed to be a Queenslander. It's a weird place up here...
Inn_Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 PM   #1265
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inn_Town View Post
Knowing that One Nation's gaining so much support here has made me ashamed to be a Queenslander. It's a weird place up here...
Especially when the rest of us haven't quite forgiven Queenslanders for Clive Palmer yet.....

Honestly though, couldn't Hanson and co at least be original? I read that she's started tweeting pro-Putin comments recently - something straight out of the Trump play-book. Funny how quickly these local opportunists forget the innocent dead aboard MH17. Not to mention the many more dead in the Ukraine, Syria etc
Old 02-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #1266
Sydneyfan

On a different subject, for any Americans watching the Superbowl and who saw that silly ad for Yellowtail wine..... don't buy it. It's cheap plonk over here - don't know what it retails for in the US, but it's very ordinary wine.

Also, absolutely no kangaroos involved in making it.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #1267
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:

Blah.
Uuuughhhh, that makes me so sad. Et tu, Australius?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #1268
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
On a different subject, for any Americans watching the Superbowl and who saw that silly ad for Yellowtail wine..... don't buy it. It's cheap plonk over here - don't know what it retails for in the US, but it's very ordinary wine.

I second that, listen to C. Avoid at all costs.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #1269
andyo812

andyo812 is just really niceandyo812 is just really nice

Saw this on twitter this morning. Crazy sad.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/829913198853709824

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #1270
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I have a friend that loves Yellowtail. I don't think it goes for much and I don't particularly care for it myself.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #1271
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo812 View Post
Saw this on twitter this morning. Crazy sad.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/829913198853709824

Jesus. That is so sad.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #1272
andyo812

andyo812 is just really niceandyo812 is just really nice

I cant tell if thats sincere or sarcastic Jack. Lol

andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #1273
JackStark211

Serious.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #1274
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Yeah it's very sad, unfortunately that happens quite regularly here in that part of the country - look up Farewell Spit on Google maps and you'll see why.

They managed to get a lot of them refloated but this morning when they went back there were twice as many stranded as there were last night.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
lukin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #1275
Sydneyfan

I'd like to think Australia is better than this, but clearly we're not. It's entirely possible to have concerns about some aspect of Islamism - particularly in regards to treatment of women and gays - without resorting to this infantile, bigoted crap. And Ross Cameron really needs to do himself a favour and come out of the closet.

Quote:
"Let's be honest, I can't stand Muslims," said Larry Pickering, cartoonist and VIP guest at the Q Society fundraising dinner held in Sydney on Thursday night.

"If they are in the same street as me, I start shaking."

Then the cartoonist, who had donated for auction one of his own works depicting the rape of a woman in a niqab by her son-in-law, softened slightly.

"They are not all bad, they do chuck pillow-biters off buildings."

The cartoon fetched $600, which will go towards the legal defence bill of the Q Society's leading members, most notably Kirralie Smith, the charismatic blonde who ran in the last election as a NSW Senate candidate for the Australian Liberty Alliance.

The pro-"halal choice" campaigners, who insist they are against Islam but not Muslims, are being sued for defamation by Halal certifier Mohamed El-Mouelhy.

They frame the case, brought over Mrs Smith's videos about halal certification practices, as an attack on free speech.

They estimate their defence bill will be $1 million.

"Australia is much further down the path of political correctness than most people realise," Q Society president Debbie Robinson told the 160-odd guests, gathered at the North Ryde RSL.

"People are beginning to wake up. Brexit and recent results in the US and Europe are indicative of the rise of conservatism.

"What we are doing is right and we are righteous."

On Friday night, another fundraiser will be held in Melbourne, where the VIP guests slated include Liberal Party defector Cory Bernardi and LNP MP George Christensen, who remains in the Turnbull government tent.

Supporters of the movement believe they speak for a silent majority who fear the impact of Islam on Australian society, and are fed up with political correctness.

They associate strongly with the rise of Donald Trump – one man seated near Fairfax Media wore a "Deplorable" T-shirt which he pointed to proudly whenever the US president was mentioned by speakers, which was frequently.

The event was emceed by singer Angry Anderson, who kept the crowd amused with a constant patter about his ex-wife ("She said I was a violent man because I ate red meat, but that's a story for my next book…").

Other VIP speakers included former Liberal MP Ross Cameron and crime fiction author Gabrielle Lord.

Mr Cameron, who has a television show on Sky News, constantly mentioned homosexuality in his speech.

He spoke about the classical philosophers, who valued reason over orthodoxy, and said Socrates "might have had a bit of same-sex attraction".

He said the Roman emperor Hadrian had a young male lover who "fell off the back of a barge".

"I'm sure he was snorting coke at the time," Mr Cameron said.

"The NSW division of the Liberal Party is basically a gay club," he told guests.

"I don't mind that they are gay, I just wish, like Hadrian, they would build a wall."

In a rambling speech, Mr Cameron moved onto Marcus Aurelius, who "said it was better to exist than not exist – that's one of the reasons I'm quite attracted to heterosexuality".

Mr Cameron said too often debate is shut down by people who say "the person who doesn't agree with me is a bad, evil, bigoted, redneck, racist xenophobe".

He likened Kirralie Smith to Copernicus, who took on the orthodoxy of the time "supported by a big propaganda machine of largely taxpayer-funded money", and said we needed leaders who wanted something more than to be "applauded on the stage" – a comment which drew applause.

"That, in the end, is what I admire most about Kirralie and Debbie and [cartoonist] Bill Leak …and Larry Pickering, Cory Bernardi," he said.

"There could not be a more authentic expression of the goodness of Australian than Kirralie Smith."

Novelist Gabrielle Lord, whose latest novel is about forced marriage in a Muslim community, said she had met many Muslim women who had been abused and persecuted.

"Brothers and sisters, there is a war on and unfortunately…we are caught a little unaware because they were better prepared than we are," Lord told the crowd, apparently referring to Muslims.

Her publishers had asked her to include "more attractive Muslim characters" and more about the "positives" of Islam.

She took this as a sign people are too frightened to speak the truth about Islam – something she could understand as offending Muslims could lead to "bricks thrown through windows and rioting".

Lord spoke lovingly of the institutions built by Western society and said "the other mob only build one kind of building, as you know".

Another Larry Pickering cartoon auctioned depicted an imam as a pig, being roasted on a spit, with a "halal certified" stamp on its rump. A case of wine called "72 Virgins" was also up for grabs, along with a signed photograph of Dame Joan Sutherland.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...0170210-gu9xo8
Sponsored Links

Tags
a dingo ate my baby, antipodeans, australia, australia is awesome, australia sux, flying kangaroo, julia gillard talks funny, new zealand, new zealand is awesome, new zealand six, nick cave is awesome, sport is stupid, tby staple thread, vegemite is owned by the u.s.