TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #2326
BigColors
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 80
BigColors is on a distinguished road
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Ryan just blacked out all of his social media as well.

Time to go into hiding for the next few years.
BigColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #2327
gnomesayin
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 21
gnomesayin is on a distinguished road
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
I get when you're coming from, but I don't agree. We don't know how old he thought she was. The "She looked 20" argument came from his lawyer after producing a photo. And I don't know if she looks older than her age, because I've not made an attempt to figure out who she is.

If he thought she was 20, I don't think he would have gone through the efforts he did to conceal things. He banged Phoebe when she was 20, and he shouted her name from the rooftops. Took her on tour, released her EP, etc. etc. But, in this case, Ryan repeatedly asked for ID, told her to hide their dealings from her mother (who she lived with), and likened himself to R. Kelly. So it isn't quite as innocent.

If she were 20, I would say I don't understand why a 40 year old who pulled Mandy Moore would be interested, but they're adults so fair enough.
This is a good argument, and it is hard to explain away the secrecy in any other way. One could, but it's a stretch, and by far the most plausible is that he had good reason to believe she was underage.

You can't convict in a court of law on these inferences, but they are logically sound. My general assumption is that he did know on some level, and that's disturbing and gross and stupid. I assess what he likely did for what it is, and I find the R. Kelly comparisons to be, for lack of a better term, childish.
gnomesayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #2328
futurecalling
 
futurecalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 27
futurecalling will become famous soon enough
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigColors View Post
Ryan just blacked out all of his social media as well.

Time to go into hiding for the next few years.
I'm giving it 7 months.
futurecalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #2329
Teenie Smith-Macbeth
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 143
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is on a distinguished road
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecalling View Post
I'm giving it 7 months.
I’ll go with July.
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #2330
Dan33185
 
Dan33185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minnesota,USA
Posts: 293
Dan33185 is a jewel in the roughDan33185 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

I might have missed it in the 94 pages already here, but do we know who Ava is? Sounds like she was a known name on the music scene at the time.
__________________
My Blog
Dan33185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #2331
ann ann
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 58
ann ann is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotnow View Post

And.....Sharper C deleted their Twitter. Coincidence??
Well they're back then and posting up a storm
ann ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #2332
rodstewartswig
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
rodstewartswig is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
At least legally, it did. If I remember correctly, Ryan listed August '14 as their separation date, and the divorce was filed in January of '15. At the time, I wondered if the August '14 date was to limit any claim she had towards royalties from the self-titled album.


The Phoebe comparison works because he made no attempt to hide his association with her, even if we didn't know for sure that they were sleeping together. By contrast, does anyone ever recall hearing him praise the minor's skills as a bassist? Around this time, I only recall hearing him mentioning Charlie, Don Was and Tal Wilkenfeld.

The NYT freely stated that Ava lied about her age to him. But they also state that when she asked if he really wanted to see her ID, he said only in the hottest way possible. That being said, a 40 year old should still exercise better judgment than a minor.

I don't doubt for a second that Ryan thought there was a chance that she was legal, but I also know that he was worried enough that she wasn't that it became a sticking point. And that, even with those concerns, he proceeded regardless.
Please. Bridgers had released material, and he had worked with her at Pax Am. Ava as far as we know had no band or recordings. You think there can only be a sinister explanation for his promoting Bridgers' and not Ava? That's silly imo.

Yes, the NYT 'freely stated' that Ava lied about her age. My point was that they provided no details or direct quotes to indicate how insistent, persuasive, belligerent, etc. she was on this point. What if she spun a fairly elaborate backstory of having graduated high school, dropped out of university, etc. We have no idea; there were 3000 texts exchanged which is a lot of time to build a false impression.

And yes, plainly he should have exercised better judgment. But the condemnation he's receiving is far more damning than would be appropriate in response to bad judgment; the NYT reporter is portraying his behaviour as 'equally pernicious' as R. Kelly's methodically brainwashing teenagers into his sex cult.

We don't actually know the sequence of Ryan's shifting beliefs about Ava's age and how that influenced his making sexual advances. It could be (e.g.) that he had some initial doubts as to whether she was 20 during their initial flirtation, and at that stage made the R Kelly comment etc., and then Ava made a strong case to persuade him she was of age, and that only then, with his doubts put to rest, things turned legitimately sexual. I'm not asserting that this is the actual timeline, but it's not implausible. There were 3000 texts, of which the NYT chose to quote a small handful. And the person doing the choosing here is inclined to equate Ryan Adams's behaviour with R Kelly's -- which makes me skeptical as to his objectivity.
rodstewartswig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #2333
Teenie Smith-Macbeth
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 143
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is on a distinguished road
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenie Smith-Macbeth View Post
I wonder if Mandy is/was ever pissed at Phoebe for sleeping with her husband.
Is there any “girl code” regarding this?
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #2334
folkjam
 
folkjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 328
folkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstewartswig View Post
Please. Bridgers had released material, and he had worked with her at Pax Am. Ava as far as we know had no band or recordings. You think there can only be a sinister explanation for his promoting Bridgers' and not Ava? That's silly imo.

Yes, the NYT 'freely stated' that Ava lied about her age. My point was that they provided no details or direct quotes to indicate how insistent, persuasive, belligerent, etc. she was on this point. What if she spun a fairly elaborate backstory of having graduated high school, dropped out of university, etc. We have no idea; there were 3000 texts exchanged which is a lot of time to build a false impression.

And yes, plainly he should have exercised better judgment. But the condemnation he's receiving is far more damning than would be appropriate in response to bad judgment; the NYT reporter is portraying his behaviour as 'equally pernicious' as R. Kelly's methodically brainwashing teenagers into his sex cult.

We don't actually know the sequence of Ryan's shifting beliefs about Ava's age and how that influenced his making sexual advances. It could be (e.g.) that he had some initial doubts as to whether she was 20 during their initial flirtation, and at that stage made the R Kelly comment etc., and then Ava made a strong case to persuade him she was of age, and that only then, with his doubts put to rest, things turned legitimately sexual. I'm not asserting that this is the actual timeline, but it's not implausible. There were 3000 texts, of which the NYT chose to quote a small handful. And the person doing the choosing here is inclined to equate Ryan Adams's behaviour with R Kelly's -- which makes me skeptical as to his objectivity.
Ava, accordingly to the article, was gigging and an accomplished bassist. Maybe that was an exaggeration by the authors, I don't know. Again, I don't know who she is. Either way, yes, I think his concerns about her age prevented him from shining a spotlight on her. I don't have to equate their abilities or material to understand that Ryan treated Ava in a different way than Phoebe. Again, he literally asked Ava not to tell her mother about him. I don't think Phoebe received that same request.

I'm sure Ava did mislead him about her age, as the article states. I'm also sure that Ryan was suspicious enough that he didn't fully believe it.

Ryan is being condemned because his own texts liken him to R. Kelly. I can't imagine a plausible scenario that justifies that text, or the attempts to hide his behavior from her mom. Is it possible that they don't present things in a chronological order? Sure, and I fully recognize that there are some gaps to be filled. We don't know why the sexual aspect of their conversations stopped, for example. I suspect because Ryan finally thought better of the situation. On the other hand, the 3,000 texts reviewed also apparently came a year into their interactions, and this behavior could have began well before then. I understand that there's room for questions, but I don't see any "a-ha!" moment where this is ever rationalized. Not when you're calling yourself R. Kelly.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #2335
loveisreal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 86
loveisreal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstewartswig View Post

We don't actually know the sequence of Ryan's shifting beliefs about Ava's age and how that influenced his making sexual advances. It could be (e.g.) that he had some initial doubts as to whether she was 20 during their initial flirtation, and at that stage made the R Kelly comment etc., and then Ava made a strong case to persuade him she was of age, and that only then, with his doubts put to rest, things turned legitimately sexual. I'm not asserting that this is the actual timeline, but it's not implausible. There were 3000 texts, of which the NYT chose to quote a small handful. And the person doing the choosing here is inclined to equate Ryan Adams's behaviour with R Kelly's -- which makes me skeptical as to his objectivity.
Totally agree here. There is no way we can judge without knowing the full story. The argument of a lot of people here is that the quotes are so clear that a misunderstanding is impossible. And i think that this is just not true. The journalist had to build a story and for sure he will pick the quotes that fit to the story the best. left stuff away that could undermine the red line of the story. And the argument that they just wouldn't because he could sue them etc. and bc the NYT is so trustworthy is bogus bc. first the NYT is still a privately owned company and has to earn money which they surely did with this article. And second they did not lie. If you read the article closely you can see that they wrote everything really carefully. They didn't say that he knew she was underage. They just picked a few quotes and said that those text messages were written, which most probably true. They aligned the quotes so that everyone will fill in the (maybe wrong) context themselves. Now all people read the missing stuff between the lines but the NY can't be sued...
I'm not saying that it has to be like that. It is just possible.
loveisreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #2336
rodstewartswig
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
rodstewartswig is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
Ava, accordingly to the article, was gigging and an accomplished bassist. Maybe that was an exaggeration by the authors, I don't know. Again, I don't know who she is. Either way, yes, I think his concerns about her age prevented him from shining a spotlight on her. I don't have to equate their abilities or material to understand that Ryan treated Ava in a different way than Phoebe. Again, he literally asked Ava not to tell her mother about him. I don't think Phoebe received that same request.

I'm sure Ava did mislead him about her age, as the article states. I'm also sure that Ryan was suspicious enough that he didn't fully believe it.

Ryan is being condemned because his own texts liken him to R. Kelly. I can't imagine a plausible scenario that justifies that text, or the attempts to hide his behavior from her mom. Is it possible that they don't present things in a chronological order? Sure, and I fully recognize that there are some gaps to be filled. We don't know why the sexual aspect of their conversations stopped, for example. I suspect because Ryan finally thought better of the situation. On the other hand, the 3,000 texts reviewed also apparently came a year into their interactions, and this behavior could have began well before then. I understand that there's room for questions, but I don't see any "a-ha!" moment where this is ever rationalized. Not when you're calling yourself R. Kelly.
Yes, she was a gigging bass player, doing paid gigs for diverse musicians. She did not have an album of her own, so it would I think be odd for him to put his shoulder behind promoting her. "People, check out his footage of some middling band performing at a bar in NY! Isn't that bass playing something else?"

We have no idea whether Ryan tried to shield his relationship with Bridgers from her Mom. Apparently Bridgers has an unusually close and open relationship with her Mom. It's possible he did worry what Phoebe's mom would think, but thought it was futile trying to keep it secret. Or maybe he did try to keep it secret. Neither of us knows; you're just helping yourself to whatever assumptions are convenient.

You're missing my point about R. Kelly. Yes, he jokingly suggested that people might liken him to R. Kelly. But the NYT reporter is literally equating RA and R Kelly's behaviour, calling them "equally pernicious". Do agree with me that this is ridiculous? If you're inclined to side with the NYT writer on this point, I suggest you do more reading about R. Kelly's backstory. The equation is obscene. I don't know what you're getting at stressing that Ryan compared himself to R. Kelly. I've heard people say something offensive and then worry aloud that people will think they're like Hitler. Needless to say, these people are not actually admitting to being like Hitler.

Last edited by rodstewartswig; 03-01-2019 at 01:11 PM..
rodstewartswig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #2337
Teenie Smith-Macbeth
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 143
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is on a distinguished road
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstewartswig View Post
Yes, she was a gigging bass player, doing paid gigs for diverse musicians. She did not have an album of her own, so it would I think be odd for him to put his shoulder behind promoting her. "People, check out his footage of some middling band performing at a bar in NY! Isn't that bass playing something else?"

We have no idea whether Ryan tried to shield his relationship with Bridgers from her Mom. Apparently Bridgers has an unusually close and open relationship with her Mom. It's possible he did worry what Phoebe's mom would think, but thought it was futile trying to keep it secret. Or maybe he did try to keep it secret. Neither of us knows; you're just helping yourself to whatever assumptions are convenient.

You're missing my point about R. Kelly. Yes, he jokingly suggested that people might liken him to R. Kelly. But the NYT reporter is literally equating RA and R Kelly's behaviour, calling them "equally pernicious". Do agree with me that this is ridiculous? If you're inclined to side with the NYT writer on this point, I suggest you do more reading about R. Kelly's backstory. The equation is obscene. I don't know what you're getting at stressing that Ryan compared himself to R. Kelly. I've heard people say something offensive and then worry aloud that people will think they're like Hitler. Needless to say, these people are not actually admitting to being like Hitler.
Ive heard that R Kelly is on tape literally urinating on underage girls for his sexual gratification.
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #2338
rodstewartswig
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
rodstewartswig is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenie Smith-Macbeth View Post
Ive heard that R Kelly is on tape literally urinating on underage girls for his sexual gratification.
Ryan Adams had a consensual fling with Phoebe Bridgers, and when the relationship went sour had a change of heart about touring with her. Equally pernicious!
rodstewartswig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #2339
Rob
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 19,352
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstewartswig View Post
Ryan Adams had a consensual fling with Phoebe Bridgers, and when the relationship went sour had a change of heart about touring with her. Equally pernicious!
Seriously? You need to change the comparison to the Phoebe Bridgers part of his abuse to make it sound better?
__________________
Album of The Year | last.fm
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #2340
BigColors
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 80
BigColors is on a distinguished road
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Now, DRA not only blacked out his twitter and insta, but it is now private.
BigColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #2341
rodstewartswig
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
rodstewartswig is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Seriously? You need to change the comparison to the Phoebe Bridgers part of his abuse to make it sound better?
Sorry, which accusation against Ryan do you think might be 'equally pernicious' as R Kelly recording himself pissing in the face of a 14 year old girl?

You think the comparison starts to look plausible if we sub in Ava's story?
rodstewartswig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #2342
Rob
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 19,352
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstewartswig View Post
Sorry, which accusation against Ryan do you think might be 'equally pernicious' as R Kelly recording himself pissing in the face of a 14 year old girl?

You think the comparison starts to look plausible if we sub in Ava's story?
Yeah, preying on underage girls is similar.
__________________
Album of The Year | last.fm
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #2343
Teenie Smith-Macbeth
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 143
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is on a distinguished road
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Yeah, preying on underage girls is similar.
I’m hoping for all of our sakes that the law will see some nuance between defendants R Kelly and R Adams
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #2344
Rob
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 19,352
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenie Smith-Macbeth View Post
I’m hoping for all of our sakes that the law will see some nuance between defendants R Kelly and R Adams
R Kelly hasn't been convicted of any crime yet. Certainly you guys are defending him on his message boards?
__________________
Album of The Year | last.fm
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #2345
ann ann
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 58
ann ann is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Guys I just got a trolling infraction for my obvious joke list of reasons I posted this morning. Thanks SydneyFan! Do I get a prize? Y'all are pansy babies. Just ban my ass if you're gonna be little bitch mods. *blows kiss*
ann ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:31 PM   #2346
Teenie Smith-Macbeth
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 143
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is on a distinguished road
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
R Kelly hasn't been convicted of any crime yet. Certainly you guys are defending him on his message boards?
That’s quite a leap you’re making
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #2347
Rob
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 19,352
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenie Smith-Macbeth View Post
That’s quite a leap you’re making
Explain.
__________________
Album of The Year | last.fm
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #2348
Teenie Smith-Macbeth
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 143
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is on a distinguished road
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ann View Post
Guys I just got a trolling infraction for my obvious joke list of reasons I posted this morning. Thanks SydneyFan! Do I get a prize? Y'all are pansy babies. Just ban my ass if you're gonna be little bitch mods. *blows kiss*
Oh no kidding, what’s a “trolling infraction”? How did you receive it? What does it say?
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #2349
rodstewartswig
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
rodstewartswig is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Yeah, preying on underage girls is similar.
He pressed her repeatedly on her age, even asking to see ID, and she repeatedly lied to him. I'm not sure that qualifies as 'preying on underage'; nice job pluralizing 'girls' to further fog this issue and lend credence to the obscene comparison with R. Kelly's systematic grooming and abuse of teenage girls.
rodstewartswig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #2350
mustbeburt
 
mustbeburt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 407
mustbeburt will become famous soon enough
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenie Smith-Macbeth View Post
I’m hoping for all of our sakes that the law will see some nuance between defendants R Kelly and R Adams
Honestly - the law may be RA's only hope to truly turn his life around.
__________________
It's midnight, at the Starlite Diner
mustbeburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All your favorite male celebs are pervs: The Thread Tim Simmons General Discussion 111 02-22-2019 05:04 PM
Heartbreaker ranks 50 in Amazon's Top 100 singer-songwriter albums of all time. Sydneyfan Ryan Adams Discussion 27 03-06-2009 04:28 PM
Favorite Pictures Thread? clewis Ryan Adams Discussion 3 04-02-2007 11:31 PM
Catch A Perv Sydneyfan General Discussion 11 11-28-2006 01:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Album of The Year



Page generated in 0.11778 seconds with 12 queries