TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, and the Stans that love them.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #2401
folkjam

folkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Iím willing to bet that the name of the players is featured in the press release that the article is rehashing. And I donít care who you are, having a Beatle on your record will always be noteworthy.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #2402
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorgan1 View Post
Brandi Carlile is accompanied by the Hanseroth twins. But I think their fame has come through her.

Iím surprised so many are fighting me on this. If you generally donít think thereís a problem with the way women are reported or underreported in the music then take another look next time youíre reading RS or Pitchfork or whatever.

The example used earlier in this thread referring to Phoebe Bridgers as the ďRyan Adams approved Phoebe BridgersĒ is not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not saying it's not a problem, but you do the women who AREN'T defined by their backing musicians a disservice by lumping them in with the larger problem.

I am very aware of who Brandi Carlile is backed by, but I wouldn't know of Tim or Phil without Brandi Carlile.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #2403
dmorgan1

dmorgan1 will become famous soon enough

I wouldnít say Iím doing her a disservice at all. She champions this position rather staunchly and is taking huge efforts to try a tip the balance of women in music.

I wasnít using her as an example to this discussion it was someone else who dropped her name.

dmorgan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #2404
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorgan1 View Post
I wouldn’t say I’m doing her a disservice at all. She champions this position rather staunchly and is taking huge efforts to try a tip the balance of women in music.

I wasn’t using her as an example to this discussion it was someone else who dropped her name.

I dropped her name, as a direct contradiction to the notion that a female artist is only as good as her male counterpart(s). Just like someone else dropped Lucinda Williams' name.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:37 PM   #2405
dmorgan1

dmorgan1 will become famous soon enough

Of course there are exceptions. Pointing them out doesnít mean it doesnít exist.

dmorgan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #2406
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by a devil in paradise View Post
i missed the whole swords thing... can someone fill me in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
Phoebe didn't get a sword while on tour with Ryan and every other female did.
Fan gifts Phoebe Bridgers with a sword after Ryan Adams ‘gave one to every woman on their tour except her’

https://www.nme.com/news/music/fan-g...-adams-2463399
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #2407
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
Fan gifts Phoebe Bridgers with a sword after Ryan Adams Ďgave one to every woman on their tour except herí

https://www.nme.com/news/music/fan-g...-adams-2463399
Great Sword! I'd be chuffed AF if a fan gave me that. How thoughtful.

Weird that RA would even go through the trouble getting swords for everyone on the tour and leave her out. He should have signed the pay checks and called it good. OR have an assistant or road manager get swords and take the high road. One of the odder scenarios in the RA drama.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #2408
Auburnboss

Auburnboss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
hey man. it changes my opinion of him and the music that goes with it.

been separating the man from the music for years. he's not the nicest person...never has been, never claimed to be. he's no fucking springsteen.

but guess what, for me, his actions w/ Ava have cheapened the music for me. it doesn't hold weight for me like it did.

nothing changes the fact he has written some beautiful and amazing songs....see: dear chicago, cannonball days, halloween, if i am a stranger, please do not let me go, english girls...the list goes on.

for me, i can't stomach the music RIGHT NOW. it hits a little close to home for me. i think about it from Ava and her mom's perspective...How would i like it, if i a 40 year old pursued my 15 year old daughter? i would NOT support that artist till he is able to make ammends, own up, man up and show that he can say you know what? I was a real shit bag then and I sucked and i fucked up and hurt lots of people w/ my actions and words...

someday, i'll listen to ryan again....it'll be a while, but when i do, hopefully i'll be able to remember the memories of those songs that are so closely associated w/ my brother and our adolescence and college years...hopefully, those songs wont' conjure up memories of Ava's pain and the betrayal of a man she put trust into....
Man, I've always liked your posts going back to the old RAA days before it switched over to Facebook. I completely agree with you. I was naturally moving away from him because I wasn't crazy about his last two albums, and his overall attitude on social media was just beginning to bother me. But of course after all the latest developments, I just don't even want to listen to any of his songs. But I"m sure I will one day, and I hope I"m able to associate them with good times I had, the college years, and those interesting years right after you get out of college when you are trying to figure things out. His music was a big part of those days.
Auburnboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #2409
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

wow this fucking sword story can’t go away fast enough...WHO CARES.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #2410
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

It’s just another example of how he poorly treats the women he was attracted to.

It’s not about the sword, it’s about him picking on just her for revenge.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #2411
thebambino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
It’s just another example of how he poorly treats the women he was attracted to.

It’s not about the sword, it’s about him picking on just her for revenge.
i get it, but it just detracts from the real asshole stuff he’s done. pretty soon we’re talking about the time he didn’t offer jenny lewis a stick of gum after they drank some coffee and not that he was sexting a 14 year old girl.

when this shit starts getting this watered down i just can’t care. ugh.

Last edited by thebambino; 03-19-2019 at 09:31 AM..
thebambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #2412
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburnboss View Post
Man, I've always liked your posts going back to the old RAA days before it switched over to Facebook. I completely agree with you. I was naturally moving away from him because I wasn't crazy about his last two albums, and his overall attitude on social media was just beginning to bother me. But of course after all the latest developments, I just don't even want to listen to any of his songs. But I"m sure I will one day, and I hope I"m able to associate them with good times I had, the college years, and those interesting years right after you get out of college when you are trying to figure things out. His music was a big part of those days.
hey! thanks!
who were you on RAA?

it's rare i find an online fan that likes my posts! i tend to rub people the wrong way.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #2413
thebambino

Quote:
hey! thanks!
who were you on RAA?

it's rare i find an online fan that likes my posts! i tend to rub people the wrong way.
you finally found a friend iím so happy for you!!!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #2414
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebambino View Post
you finally found a friend iím so happy for you!!!
fuck man! it took only 15 years but it was all worth it!!!!

Old 03-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #2415
thebambino

Quote:
fuck man! it took only 15 years but it was all worth it!!!!

i always believed in you.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #2416
thebalvenie

Quote:
i always believed in you.
i knew it, but it didn't make it any easier. finally making a buddy and now they're gone.

:-(
Old 03-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #2417
gavinm

gavinm has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
hey! thanks!
who were you on RAA?

You've always been my favourite

Honestly agreed with most of your stuff. In fact in light of the allegations I wish I'd been more honest about what I thought about him as a person like you did. Don't know why I didn't. Somehow felt a loyalty to him.
gavinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #2418
Auburnboss

Quote:
hey! thanks!
who were you on RAA?

You know, it's been so long. I think I posted under bailebr(basically used the first part of my Auburn University email address at the time). I mostly just lurked around, incorporating as much Springsteen as I could if I posted. I do think I remember one time you giving me the business because I said I liked the band Poison. But yeah, I always enjoyed your posts. I followed the facebook group for a little while, but between the constant posts displaying people's vinyl collections or their cats, I had to tap out.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #2419
thebalvenie

Quote:
You know, it's been so long. I think I posted under bailebr(basically used the first part of my Auburn University email address at the time). I mostly just lurked around, incorporating as much Springsteen as I could if I posted. I do think I remember one time you giving me the business because I said I liked the band Poison. But yeah, I always enjoyed your posts. I followed the facebook group for a little while, but between the constant posts displaying people's vinyl collections or their cats, I had to tap out.
haha. i remember you

bailerb!

i probably did give you shit about poison but fuck i love a little poison or def leppard or great white.

i'm all springsteen now. for the last 8-9 years i went on a tear just downloading and listening to his live stuff.

that facebook group is something special!!!!

anyways, thanks for the love and bromance. the feeling is mutual and so glad our sparks are reignited on TBY!!!!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #2420
Auburnboss

Quote:
haha. i remember you

bailerb!

i probably did give you shit about poison but fuck i love a little poison or def leppard or great white.

i'm all springsteen now. for the last 8-9 years i went on a tear just downloading and listening to his live stuff.

anyways, thanks for the love and bromance. the feeling is mutual and so glad our sparks are reignited on TBY!!!!
No doubt! Speaking of Springsteen, my wife and I were able to catch a Bruce On Broadway show back in October. It was a amazing, I've been a fan since high school (I'm 42 now), and I've seen him live around 17 times, but it really was something special seeing him in that setting.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:00 AM   #2421
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Itís just another example of how he poorly treats the women he was attracted to.

Itís not about the sword, itís about him picking on just her for revenge.
he gave all the women on the CREW a sword... she is not on the crew.... please correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I've understood... so my current vibe is: fake news.
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #2422
loveisreal

loveisreal can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by a devil in paradise View Post
he gave all the women on the CREW a sword... she is not on the crew.... please correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I've understood... so my current vibe is: fake news.
Anyway kindergarden....
loveisreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #2423
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
haha. i remember you

bailerb!

Posters reuniting is probably the only great news of this thread.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #2424
Knotnow

Knotnow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i get it, but it just detracts from the real asshole stuff he’s done. pretty soon we’re talking about the time he didn’t offer jenny lewis a stick of gum after they drank some coffee and not that he was sexting a 14 year old girl.

when this shit starts getting this watered down i just can’t care. ugh.
This ^^^^ thank you! I am a woman and maybe I’d be hurt if I was in/previously in a relationship with someone and I felt they were trying to do this out of spite (still not sure if that was the case). But I sure as heck wouldn’t take to social media to try and gain sympathy over it when there are MUCH bigger issues at hand. I feel like we are teetering on the edge of infantilizing women with the direction Phoebe is taking this. I get that she’s trying to “paint the bigger picture” but tell him to fuck off and be done, pick your battles.

Edit: To be clear, I’m talking about the sword issue.

Last edited by Knotnow; 03-20-2019 at 10:49 AM..
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #2425
thebalvenie

Quote:
No doubt! Speaking of Springsteen, my wife and I were able to catch a Bruce On Broadway show back in October. It was a amazing, I've been a fan since high school (I'm 42 now), and I've seen him live around 17 times, but it really was something special seeing him in that setting.
What!!!! fuck man, i was so close two times to pulling the trigger and making the trip over there to see him on broadway. it just wasn't in the cards. of course, thankfully, we have the netflix special....but those goose bumps aren't the same when you're sitting there and it's live.

living in montana, i've only seen bruce once and that was in oakland on the river tour 2016 and it was amazing and hands down the best concert i've ever seen. and i've seen most of the greats.

bruce comes to montana for vacationing but he doesn't play here and i have 4 friends that have met him on different occassions but i've never met him!!!! i guess he's the real deal too. genuine and cool as hell.

did you read his memoir?

nice to catch up w/ you bailerb...
Sponsored Links