TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

JFK Assassination At 50 Years

Old 11-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

I knew we'd be inundated with JFK news items and documentaries, and I wasn't wrong. But there's some interesting ones out there that aren't just a re-hash of conspiracy theories.

Present-day photos to match archival photos of the events around November 22, 1963: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...scenes_of.html
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JFK Assassination At 50 Years

Spoiler:
Old 11-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I've been watching whatever I see on TV about it and they've all been pretty great.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I'm over it.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Do believe any conspiracy theories?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Really enjoyed the JFK documentary on PBS. Still need to catch the second part.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

I saw most of the second part, not the first.

A bunch of news organizations are streaming their 1963 coverage online this week: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...ppened/281568/
Old 11-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

The documentary I've caught bits of on TV traces the Kennedys from John Senior. I'm starting to believe that family is cursed. How on earth do you lose so many in the same family to plane crashes and assassinations?
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

I watched the hour-long highlights of the ABC 11/22/1963 coverage last night. Morbidly fascinating.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Errol Morris made a short form documentary a couple of years ago:

Old 11-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Area Man Can Remember Exactly Where He Was, What He Was Doing When He Assassinated John F. Kennedy

LANGLEY, VA—Saying that he will never forget the events of that fateful day, local man Edgar Denton, 81, told reporters Friday that, five decades later, he could still recall exactly where he was and what he was doing the day he shot and killed former U.S. president John F. Kennedy.

“Everyone my age has a story about where they were when JFK was assassinated, and I’m no exception,” said Denton, emphasizing that his memories of the Friday morning in which he shouldered his M14 rifle, brought the presidential motorcade into his sights, and sent a bullet into the brain of the 35th president of the United States remain as vivid as ever. “I remember I was in Dallas at the time. Specifically, I was positioned behind a fence at street-level in Dealey Plaza right when I gunned down the president.”

“The image of everyone on the streets below panicking because I had just murdered the leader of the free world will stay with me for the rest of my life,” Denton continued.

Despite a full 50 years having passed since his covert assassination of a sitting U.S. president, Denton said that the day on which he killed Kennedy remains fresh in his mind, stressing that he could still recall, with complete clarity, the meticulous preparations he made in the minutes leading up to 12:30 in the afternoon on November 22, 1963.

In fact, the gunman confirmed that he could recall with pinpoint accuracy the exact location of the concealed sniper’s nest he was standing in that morning as he patiently waited for Kennedy’s 1961 Lincoln Continental to turn onto Elm Street and enter into his crosshairs. The contract killer also maintained that he remembers hearing Secret Service director James J. Rowley’s voice coming through his walkie-talkie giving him the go-ahead “like it was yesterday.”

Furthermore, Denton, a former Green Beret and lifelong Freemason, told reporters that the passage of time has in no way dulled the immense emotional impact of learning that the president had been successfully killed by him, saying that these mental impressions continue to be as lucid for him today as they were on the very day he eliminated JFK.

“When Walter Cronkite came on TV and told the nation that JFK was dead, it almost didn't feel real,” said Denton, recounting how he spent much of the historic afternoon inside a safe house, cleaning his rifle and thinking, “The president’s been shot by me. Oh my God, the president’s been shot by me.” “But despite how surreal it all was at the time, right now I could walk you through exactly what happened that day: hastily making my way to the rear entrance of the the Dal-Tex building, having the CIA pick me up and congratulate me, accepting $50,000 in bearer bonds. I could even tell you word for word what I wrote on that telegram to Ho Chi Minh.”

“I’ll never forget rushing home and hugging my wife and kids and telling them that everything would be all right,” added Denton, noting that he himself broke down into tears of joy upon realizing that the police had taken another suspect into custody.

Denton, who said that his violent unseating of the president and the aftermath remain among his most coherent memories, explained that he will regularly describe in pitch-perfect detail the circumstances of the slaying to his grandchildren.

However, the 81-year-old emphasized that JFK’s death is far more than just a personal matter.

Indeed, the hitman claimed that everyone who contributed to the plot has their own story about where they were when they received word that the extensively coordinated undertaking had been pulled off successfully, calling JFK’s assassination the defining moment of a generation for everybody who participated in the murder of the 35th president.

“Those of us who worked for months to put an end to the president’s life will always remember where they were on that day,” Denton said, referring to Dallas resident Abraham Zapruder, then–Postmaster General John A. Gronouski, and Vice President Lyndon Johnson, among many others. “For everyone who conspired to execute the president of the United States in broad daylight, that day will always be part of our shared experience.”

“It’s definitely way more memorable than that whole thing with his brother,” Denton added. “Honestly, I barely recollect doing that one at all.”
http://www.theonion.com/articles/are...what-he,34647/
Old 11-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

I actually happened to be channel surfing last night when Oliver Stone's JFK was on TV. I switched on at the exact moment Kevin Costner's character was showing the Zapruder footage to the court. Zoomed in on the exact moment Kennedy was shot in the head. Jesus, the look on Jackie's face when she registered what was happening. Seriously haunting stuff.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

People say this is rubbish, but if it isn't...

Old 11-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
plath

plath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond repute

JFK and RFK are two of my absolute heroes. My Granny still has a framed photo of JFK in her house, as does the local "old man" pub in town. The Kennedy's gave the Irish so much aspiration - that you really could go and become something worthwhile.

I definitely believe that there was government involvement in JFK's death. Just so horrific. Interestingly, I've been drawn to the more Jackie-centric articles that have been published: e.g. how she coined the "camelot" term in a Time interview shortly after, as well as a great article on Slate about how Jackie "taught the American people how to mourn".. or something to that extent. Lots of different, interesting angles.

I suppose we could be idealistic and say that had Kennedy lived, the world might be a better place today. However as JFK died before seriously messing up (bar Bay of Pigs), perhaps that's why we hold him in such high esteem.

Of the two brothers, it's RFK who holds my interest the most. How he was such a mass of contradictions and how his political slant evolved. I certainly think JFK's death had a lot to do with the changes he went through as a politician and social campaigner. His speech in 1964 at the Democratic National Convention is one of the most moving speeches ever. http://www.jfklibrary.org/Research/R...onvention.aspx

And really - how great were the Kennedy's at oration? All of those fantastic speeches: the "ich bin ein Berliner" or "Ask not what your country can do for you..." - The iconic clothing, iconic events (Monroe and "Happy Birthday"), even the Kennedy curse. Just something about the whole family that for me, continues to fascinate and hold the utmost respect.
plath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_O_%28opera%29

I may have to give this opera another listen...
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #16
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

It seems inconceivable to me that a group of people ( the mob, the government, whoever you like really) could plot to murder the most powerful and high profile man in the world - and nobody, not a soul; ever breaks their silence or confesses to a family member.

Add this to the fact that the 'magic bullet' theory has been proven to be a load of rubbish and that Lee Harvey Oswald was pretty much the angry attention seeking loner from central casting.

Norman Mailer's book "Oswald's Tale - An American Mystery" gives a very detailed account of Oswald's life and possible motivations for anyone interested.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
JackStark211

Yep.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #18
plath

plath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
It seems inconceivable to me that a group of people ( the mob, the government, whoever you like really) could plot to murder the most powerful and high profile man in the world - and nobody, not a soul; ever breaks their silence or confesses to a family member.

Add this to the fact that the 'magic bullet' theory has been proven to be a load of rubbish and that Lee Harvey Oswald was pretty much the angry attention seeking loner from central casting.

Norman Mailer's book "Oswald's Tale - An American Mystery" gives a very detailed account of Oswald's life and possible motivations for anyone interested.
I must pick that book up Syd! My dad was saying that there was a rumour a secret service guy accidentally fired the third shot (exploding bullet) after Oswald's first two attempts. Which is perhaps likely. However, the intrigue surrounding the assassination files, plus flaws in the Warren report etc do make me think that the government is covering up something. Always suspicious!
plath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plath View Post
I must pick that book up Syd! My dad was saying that there was a rumour a secret service guy accidentally fired the third shot (exploding bullet) after Oswald's first two attempts. Which is perhaps likely. However, the intrigue surrounding the assassination files, plus flaws in the Warren report etc do make me think that the government is covering up something. Always suspicious!
The book is rather long-winded in parts (typical Mailer really) but the research is meticulous and he approaches the material with what seems to be an open mind. Mailer even got access to the KBG files on Oswald, collated when Oswald defected to the USSR. Oswald emerges as a very complex, but very flawed character - a passive-aggressive fantasist with delusion of grandeur who thought life had treated him unfairly. It's interesting stuff.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
conspiracy theories, jfk, lee harvey oswald